Hair Metal

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
litlgrnman

treeduck wrote:they jumped on the "hair metal" bandwagon
Hard to say they can't be classified (at least in one part of their careers) as hair metal when you, yourself, say that they were. I had a hard time deciding who exactly could/should be classified as Hair Metal. That is a pretty damning title you know... :wink:
treeduck

litlgrnman wrote:
treeduck wrote:they jumped on the "hair metal" bandwagon
Hard to say they can't be classified (at least in one part of their careers) as hair metal when you, yourself, say that they were. I had a hard time deciding who exactly could/should be classified as Hair Metal. That is a pretty damning title you know... :wink:
Yeah but it what I was alluding to was hair metal image rather than music. If you take a look at the album 1987 which is often cited as a hair metal album, who played on it? Ansley Dunbar, a former F,rank Zappa Journey and Jefferson Airplane drummer, a veteran from the late 60s, definitely not a hair metal guy. Neil Murray a British bass player who'd been in the band in the 70s in their blues-rock era, not a hair metal dude. And John Sykes, he may have had the hair but it was too good to be hair metal hair!! His previous bands were also pre-hair metal bands NWOBHM band the Tygers of Pan Tang and the mighty Thin Lizzy hard rock stars of the 70s and early 80s, so again not a hair metal muso.

So while the band changed as fast as the outfits on that tour, the music they played was either from the blues era or was from 1987 which as I just showed was created by non-hair metal personnel.