Guitarist similar to Vai's style

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Zebula77

TongueNGroove wrote:I am suprised that no one mentioned Mattias Eklundh. This guy reminds me alot of Vai in the way his playing is quirky and interesting, but he realy doesn't sound like Vai.
He definitely doesn't. The sense of humour is similar, but Mattias' sound is so differnet and uniquely his.
He's deffo my fave 'new' guitarist in recent years. He writes some pretty cool songs as well.
Guitarmiester

brother al wrote:Image

Ac's better
:lol:

That's exactly who I was thinking of when someone said DC Slater.
bardc001
Newcomer

nice
guthriefan

SPDMTL wrote:I'd have to say this guy, Jonas, sounds like a cross between
Reb Beach and Steve Morse in his soloing style. Pretty cool! :D
Wow, I love the mixoliydian feel in the style of Reb Beach! Can you suggest me some similar guitarists?

I'm a long-time follower of Morse, kick ass job with Purple as well...

The guitarist I suggested first in this thread has a new song up. It is mainly in 11/8, somehow strange, but on the other hand a really fresh feeling (this time no similarities to Vai).
guthriefan

bardc001 wrote:nice
From Wayward Days is a cool new melodic song from Jonas Tamas. Also with some similarities to Vai's style (or maybe I'm just too Vai-oriented and I see his influence in anybody else:)
Nevertheless, a good song. I've just discovered this, but the song must be up since a couple of weeks, because it has 1000+ listens already.
precario

TongueNGroove wrote:I am suprised that no one mentioned Mattias Eklundh. This guy reminds me alot of Vai in the way his playing is quirky and interesting, but he realy doesn't sound like Vai.
The same here, except with Bumblefoot !

I believe that Mattias Eklundh, Bumblefoot and Buckethead are the best guitarrists of the "new" generation, from the 90's on !!
Stephen Brown

Guitarist similar to Vai's style.

There isn't.
silvio gazquez
Newcomer

hi

I think Guthrie is one of the best players all around. he can easily play like Vai if he wants, in one of his song he plays a very similar stuff...

what style can´t play Guthrie...?!!!
Stephen Brown

silvio gazquez wrote:hi

I think Guthrie is one of the best players all around. he can easily play like Vai if he wants, in one of his song he plays a very similar stuff...

what style can´t play Guthrie...?!!!
Imitation is a different methodology from exploration.
lester

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3d6cq2vCQs

mike elgar one of philippines finest..vai related sound..
Pif

+1

Mattias Eklundh shares the quirky side and a great sense of humour with our beloved guitar slinger. Still, less lyrical, less symphonic, less dressed like a glam pagan priest, and gear-wise he's lo-fi as you can get. Mattias is like Vai's cousin from the Flex-Able era :D

Now let's just wait for DLR's second split from Van Halen and see who he picks :)
fitzman79
Newcomer

anyone listen to Jeff Watson??
enicmatic
Newcomer

Patrik carlsson is very similar...listen......
GYiakoumi

I think Alexi Laiho shares Vai's style in whammy/tremolo techniques, though Laiho is more of a diminished sort of player.
call_of_ktulu

Joe Satriani
Buckethead
Andy Timmons

But Steve's music is special