Ollie B.'s back with some questions about DT and stuff!!!!

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
theollieb

Hey guys, I've been gone for a while honing my skills (A hell of a lot) on guitar, working on my demo tape, and discovering new music.

How do I start......

Started listening to Dream Theater - O my god..... Freakin' all-star band... Is it just me or is every member of that band a god at their instrument?And the composition of their music is euphorical.

Now lemme ask.....
I read somewhere that Fatal Tragedy (Now one of my favorite songs of all time) is based on some story or something... With characters apparantly named Victoria and nathan and julian.... Anybody wanna shed some light on this?

AND

John Petrucci....

His shredding in DT (Not so much his solo album is what I call demonic shredding because If there's not an unholy entity fueling his fingers, then what is.
My good friend and mentor Jose Bernardo is obsessed with DT and says Petrucci developed something called a "Hyper technique" to cope with all the doubling of rudess' parts (I feel sorry for him having to do that lol).
I was just wondering if anybody knew anything about this, because his technique is what I want mine to be SOMEWHAT similar to one of these days far down along the road...

And also, can anybody tell me why I absolutely fell in love with the chord progressions and such in Fatal Tragedy? Lol my teacher told me something about D7 chords naturally "wanting" to resolve to G majors (interchangeably notewise, of course), but (And I know this question belongs in the theory section) can anybody tell me more things like that about certain chords "wanting" to end up as other chords and sounding really awesome.... For instance..... A diminished chord alone sounds awful, but used slowly after a minor chord of the same root, it's great I think...

now... SONATA ARCTICA
I'm obsessed w/ them too. It's probably 'cause they have accidentals in like every chord progression and I'm a sucker for that lol. But how come their guitarist doesn't get much recognition? I hadn't his name mentioned- not even on here- until i looked up who he was..

Oh and Prince is awesome, i'm not gonna lie lol I saw Purple Rain.
thats not a question, but I thought I should say it haha.

EDIT: OH!!! And I recently discovered Tommy Emmanuel as well. The chord progression for angelina seems too perfect ya know? similar to what I was saying about fatal tragedy.
GuitarBizarre

I can only warn you beforehand about getting too mixed up in the theory side of things. All of my best songs contain chord progressions where I have absolutely no clue what I did.

While its great to have the ability to dissect music like that and pinpoint what you're doing when and why, I consider it a fools errand to use too much theory during the writing process, and many will agree with me that the best music uses the heart more than the head.

Of course, Dream Theater fans are the exception to this rule, since DT themselves overthink EVERYTHING. Every last little detail of every song is worked out ahead of time to an unholy degree. And it brings them fans I must admit.

But tbh, the dream theater work I've heard and own is rather lacklustre to me, as is much of the 'theorygasm' music I own. I'd much rather hear a Symphony X song than a DT song.

As a side note, if you enjoy those bands above, you may well want to check out Symphony X (Particularly 'Twilight in Olympus, arguably their best album), along with Michael Hedges.

As a last, and somewhat obscure point, if oyu want to hear music which turns theory on its ear and is absolutely fucking NUTS musically, listen to some Yoko Kanno and some Jeff Buckley. Kanno is a past master of composition and can write in any genre I can name, while Buckley has some of the most interesting chord progressions you will ever hear, along with a rare talent to use theory to spice up those progressions without letting it override the soul of the song.

Standout Kanno songs:

Tank!
Rush
Bad Dog No Biscuits
Napple Tale - Snow Princess
Turn A Gundam Soundtrack - Most of it, but particularly Blonde and Uka
Anything She did with Maaya Sakamoto, particularly Fado and Kingfisher Girl

Standout Buckley tracks (Considerably easier to track down than the Kanno, I must admit, although all of the Kanno tracks can be found in a torrent file on btjunkie labelled yoko kanno - 73 CDs)

Hallelujah
Grace
Nightmares By the Sea
The Sky is a LandFill
Everybody here wants you
Vancouver (Strange chord progressions abound from the moment go)
Zebula77

Buckley was a f-ing genius so I'll recommend him to anyone, regardless of what kind of music or instrument you play/listen to. Absolutely one of my absolute idols as far as music is concerned.

Now, about DT. I LOVE DT! I saw them in Oslo last year and it was the most awesome concert I've ever been to. Totally perfect in every way. Incredibly loud, but so well mixed it never hurt the ears and you could hear every member perfectly if you wanted to zone in on any detail or whatever. (and Symphony X was the opening act!)

I love their songwriting and I for one don't think they overdo things. They always seem to put enough melody and soul into things so that it's all very listenable, and at the same time pretty much the most technically challenging music you'll find.

I could go on and on but, yeah - GREAT band! :D
thejonesfactor

HUGE DT fan here. Yes, they are all masters of their crafts and just incredible players. 1 yr. at Berkley and they left to form Majesty, later to become DT.

Fatal Tragedy is only part of the whole story that
makes up the album, Scenes From a Memory. It is a fictional story of 2 brothers in love w/ the same woman. One of them kills the girl and the other brother and makes it appear his brother killed her and himself. It is a long crazy story, if you get the DVD for the live show, there is a commentary that explains it all.

Petrucci is just amazing and I'm glad he was finally asked to appear on a G3 tour and they recorded and released it. His technique is just crazy and he works out, so to speak, daily, to maintain it. He didn't develop it to keep up w/ Rudess, Rudess happens to double a lot of JP's lines for fullness. He is a speed demon, for sure.

I was not as happy w/ their new release as I had hoped, but I do like all of their albums and own them all, as well as some bootlegs and their concert DVD's.

I find you have to listen to their stuff several times to fully appreciate it and MANY times to p/u on the all the little subtleties and influences they draw from. They wear their influences on their sleeves, as they have said and you will hear Floyd, ZEP, Rush, Yes, Metallica and many other elements in their stuff.

GREAT band, enjoy discovering them. I have seen them 11 or 12 times and never walked away disappointed. The days of 3 hour +, evening w/ shows may be gone, but they are incredible non the less.
Big Bad Bill

theollieb wrote:Now lemme ask.....
I read somewhere that Fatal Tragedy (Now one of my favorite songs of all time) is based on some story or something... With characters apparantly named Victoria and nathan and julian.... Anybody wanna shed some light on this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis ... m_a_Memory

I want to be cremated with this CD in one hand and P&W in the other!
theollieb

Big Bad Bill wrote:
theollieb wrote:Now lemme ask.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis ... m_a_Memory

I want to be cremated with this CD in one hand and P&W in the other!
Omg.... That's the most metal thing I've ever heard..