Any Ideas?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
guyver_dio

Any Ideas?

#1 Post by guyver_dio » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:55 pm

I'll be making a flash orientated website for uni this term and I've chosen to do an interactive guitar training website comprised of several games that will involve the lessons. Because of the time constraint I'm going to keep this very basic and will be aimed at beginners (just to cut down on the frustration lol). Some game ideas I've decided on so far are:

1. Open Chord Memory Game

The open chord memory game will only include the major and minor chords for time constraint purposes. The game will be structured into 3 parts or levels (Major, Minor and Mixed). The game will start by displaying all major open chords in succession displaying the name and fingering on the fretboard. The memory test will then begin displaying a button for each chord name, and the fretboard will randomly show the fingering for one of those chords without the name, the player must then remember which chord name that shape was and click the corresponding button. There will be numerous rounds so as each major chord has been shown a few times, if the player gets one wrong, the name of the chord is displayed and does not receive a point for getting it right. At the end the points are added up and displayed, if there are to many mistakes then the player will have to retry the major chords before moving onto the minor chords. Once the user is on the minor chords the process is repeated again. The mixed level will just include both major and minor chords.

2. Ear Interval Training

In this game I will map out all the sounds for each note and apply them to the fretboard. The way the game is played is the player will hear a note, then a note will be visually shown on the fretboard and it's sound. This will be the reference note. The player must then have to work out where the first note he/she heard is on the fretboard in relation to the reference note.

These are very simple games but effective for beginners. I'm wanting a few more and will keep thinking of some others but I thought it might be good to see if you guys have some ideas for a good educational guitar game. Perhaps something you've been looking for on the net but haven't come across yet? You won't have to go into too much detail, if I just get the gist I'll be able to elaborate on it.

Be cool to see what you guys can come up with.

llamahead

#2 Post by llamahead » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:32 am

i like the second one :wink:

umm. . . . i'll get back to you on ideas

Big Bad Bill

#3 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:45 am

How about a straight 'notes-on-the-fretboard' type thing-dot appears on a string somewhere, you have x seconds to call it out or chose it from an on screen list.

Or it plays a major or minor scale/arpeggio and you have to say which it is?

spanishphrygian

#4 Post by spanishphrygian » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:29 pm

Oh please have more chords and then Teoria.com or Musictheory.net!

I mean more 9ths, 11ths, and 13ths! I am sick of getting 99% all the time with just 7th chords and their inversion. Oh yeah- Have all of the 7th chords as well!

Otherwise I am happy with www.teoria.com and www.musictheory.net

Well more scales would be nice for ear-training as well instead of just the modes of Harm min and Mel Minor you know.

Like ear-training for Ragas and Echoi, tetrachords and Maqams and such things would be cool as well.

More Harmonic progression ear-training beyond the I IV V and ii V I would be nice!

Big Bad Bill

Re: Any Ideas?

#5 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:00 am

spanishphrygian:
guyver_dio wrote: Because of the time constraint I'm going to keep this very basic and will be aimed at beginners
:wink:

guyver_dio

#6 Post by guyver_dio » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:29 am

hey thanks for the replies

I've decided to keep it at 2 games for now (because of my other subjects I'm going to have to keep the workload to a minimum), but if I'm happy with the visual design of it I may continue it in my spare time and add to it (be a good project to retrace old skills and gain a stronger understanding of simple concepts).

I actually had the same idea as you bbb about the scales, I got a little ambitious with it though and included all modes lol. I may include a simpler version like you suggested if I get the time at the end. How the game was gonna be played was, the 7 major modes were to be displayed visually on the fretboard and played along with the name and key shown so the user can relate each sound to it's name. Then 7 buttons would be displayed and a mode would be played at random and the user would have to guess which it is.

Another idea I had for scales would be like that simon game where you have to remember the pattern of colours. It would be like the first note would be shown on the fretboard and played, then the user would have to copy that by clicking on that fret, then the 1st and 2nd are played, then the 1st, 2nd and 3rd and so on.

spanishphrygian I'd love to go more indepth with chords and cover more chord structures but if I'm going to start on the basics, it's just gonna chew up to much time. I will however consider taking it further later down the track if I choose to continue with it. It's not at all stimulating for me either to try and teach the first things you learn as a guitarist over again but I won't be marked on content so I have to prioritize for now.

Again thanks everyone for your input.

Big Bad Bill

#7 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:53 am

Will we be able to see the final product at some point, guyver_dio?

joshua202020

#8 Post by joshua202020 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:38 am

Yeah you better post a link to in on this site. :D

guyver_dio

#9 Post by guyver_dio » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:17 am

it'll be a fair few weeks before it's due but sure, be great to get some feedback

KayeM

#10 Post by KayeM » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:06 am

I'm looking forward to seeing it :D