I need advice please help.

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
LuvVai16
Newcomer

I need advice please help.

#1 Post by LuvVai16 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:11 pm

Ok so I dont know if this is a stupid question but here it goes.

A few friends of mine want me to be in a band with them and ive gone to a few practices with them and they are talented, but they are into all this hardcore screaming crap. I'm not into that stuff im into suff like Steve Vai (of course) and artists like him (Eric Johnson, Satriani, etc.) the good stuff. dont really wanna be in the band but i want the practice of playing with other people cus i havent really had that much cus I practice by myself with a drum machine. I wanted to wait till I went to college to find people of similar intrests but I figure why not get ther practice now. My point is, I dont really wanna be in the band but want the practice with others. Should I stay then leave later, or get out now? PLEASE HELP!

llamahead

#2 Post by llamahead » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:25 pm

i was in the EXACT same situation

the way i dealt with it is i just kept an open mind about it and tried to stay (singer bailed and took bassist and drummer)

but what i did i just kept an open mind and checked out some hardcore albums to learn their mannerisms

i was ready for ANYTHING, good thing they did their own thing cuz the bassist doesn't know his Em from his Amaj :lol:

leigh01

#3 Post by leigh01 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:57 am

I hate this sort of situation :roll: And im always in the same situation :roll: :roll: LOL
Stay or go.
Lol. thats only for you to decide unfortunetly :(
I tried asking advice off my guitar teacher but theres not too much that can be said. if its not meeting your love of music. then your probs best quitting :(
My first encounter to this type of situation, was with this punk band, and I absolutely hated all punk. but anywayz we started off as rock jimi hendrix style, I was the lead guitarist so I liked. but then the singer left who was pretty good, then the second guitarist became the singer, and they kept writing these in your face punk songs. so eventually I just lost it through frustration. (not physically luckily) but I ended up just really tearing the singer apart with harsh words, and general aggressivness etc all in one 5 min blast :oops:

But yea basically its somtimes best quitting earlier rather than later, as the same might happen to you :)
but nowadays I tend to bare with it if theres a good reason too. such as money :D
hope I helped a little :)
Last edited by leigh01 on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Bad Bill

#4 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:29 am

Stay in the band. Playing with any sort of band is great practice. Practice your stage craft, playing while moving around, looking at your audience and grabbing their attention, overcoming stage fright etc etc. You can always learn from any situation. There's an olde Indian saying, <adopts Apu accent> 'Even in shit, can be found gold' :wink: As to waiting in college, what makes you think you'll find musicians who want to play Vai et al. music? They're likely to be a similar cross section of musical society to the one you're in right now!

jemgirl

#5 Post by jemgirl » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:31 am

hi there,
i should say.....stay in the band dude!
learn different kinds of music,and practice with others!
give youreself the pleasure!!!its always great fun to play with other people.

goodluck friend!!

Zebula77

#6 Post by Zebula77 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:06 am

Well, the easiest thing to say is think about what you're feeling. Whenever there's a practice session, do you really look forward to the session or do you feel it's a chore, something you feel you HAVE to do?

If it's that last option - quit. Music should never feel like a chore or something you have to do, even tho other people might make you feel like that. Music is about having fun and doing something you like. I'm in that very situation right now and I'm quitting, cos I don't like the music and I'm not looking forward to the practice sessions.

Of course I tell myself 'but I need to play with someone, do gigs, improve my live playing, learn to be a more professionally-minded musician' and so on.

But I've realised it matters nothing if you're not enjoying it. And I'm not enjoying it, so I'm gonna quit.

BUT, if you DO enjoy playing with them and the practicing is fun, then stick with it. You could always use that band to get better and then form your own band later. :wink:

cosmic ape

#7 Post by cosmic ape » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:02 pm

I remember going through something like this in high school... Long story short: it ain't worth the time, kid!!! I do not think your town is so small you can't find anybody else to jam with...
True, you probably won't find a lot of people who are capable of playing your favorite stuff(let's face it, Steve's music is just on another league), but you can find a middle point, or at least something you don't hate...
Learning by playing live is an incredible experience, but you must enjoy the whole journey... As musicians, we already deal with a lot of frustration, so do you really want to put yourself into this situation??? If you do crave the experience, you should test the waters first. If the other guys want you to play some stuff you don't really care about, ask them if they are willing to get outside of their comfort zones and do the same... Would they play something that you suggest, even if they don't "like it" at first???
Being in a band has a lot to do with basic social skills. Yes, you should have some musical background in common, but you also have to be able to compromise and treat each other as equals when you don't agree a 100%. Either that, or you can just go out and find people with the exact same taste in music as yours. Good luck with that and tell me how it works for ya!!!

RAI

#8 Post by RAI » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:15 pm

It's quite simple.
Take the gig, but under the terms that it's a trial run.
If it works out, and you get along (and don't hate the music and the people), you'll stick around. If it doesn't you move on.
No matter how you slice it, there is no downside to experience.
And having to deal with people that you end up not getting along with is an experience too, isn't it......?

8)

cia
Newcomer

Re: I need advice please help.

#9 Post by cia » Thu May 08, 2008 11:52 am

LuvVai16 wrote:Ok so I dont know if this is a stupid question but here it goes.

A few friends of mine want me to be in a band with them and ive gone to a few practices with them and they are talented, but they are into all this hardcore screaming crap. I'm not into that stuff im into suff like Steve Vai (of course) and artists like him (Eric Johnson, Satriani, etc.) the good stuff. dont really wanna be in the band but i want the practice of playing with other people cus i havent really had that much cus I practice by myself with a drum machine. I wanted to wait till I went to college to find people of similar intrests but I figure why not get ther practice now. My point is, I dont really wanna be in the band but want the practice with others. Should I stay then leave later, or get out now? PLEASE HELP!
lol same situation and it worked out fine i just converted them get them listening to Vai and Satch and they were totally in

Surfingalien

Re: I need advice please help.

#10 Post by Surfingalien » Thu May 08, 2008 4:30 pm

LuvVai16 wrote:Ok so I dont know if this is a stupid question but here it goes.

Haha that's funny cuz the guy that has guitar lessons right before is also looking for a new guitarist, but the thing is that they play death/black(core) metal. I mean, that guy painted upside down crosses en pentagons on his guitar everywhere :lol: .

I have never been in a band before and i also want the experience to play with other people.

But consider to do it. And you can always leave the band if it REALLEY doesn't suit you.