Meshuggah - "obZen"

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Stephen Brown

#16 Post by Stephen Brown » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:30 pm

Are they really that great?(no speakers)

They said the same thing about SlipK,Korn,,Sep's, Machine..H..etc

Shredded Heat

#17 Post by Shredded Heat » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:50 pm

I had Meshuggah forced on me for a while by an ex-flatmate, which put me off them for a good while. I don't like the death-growl vocals, but that aside, the new album kicks some serious ass.

Rhytmically, I think they're a lot more technical & complex than the likes of Slipknot & Korn

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#18 Post by Mikey » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:21 pm

I think it's a mistake to label Meshugah as death metal, because they absolutely are not. Categorize and call them what you will, they are one of the most fascinating and constantly groundbreaking bands out there right now.

I like Jen's vocals. They are not really about "singing" - they are about rhythm - and the way they interlock with the band is brilliant, and I couldn't imagine the vocalist sounding any different. I think of the vocals as just another instrument in the mix. They are percussive and barked yet very well written.. but I'm not listening to the with the sort of ears most people would listen to a singer with.

It's almost as if Fredrik's guitar leads are the "voice" texture. They are very fluid and organic.

All that said, they definitely aren't everyone's cup of tea... they are one of the few metal bands I'm really into, and I think that their are other people out there who aren't into metal, but could really connect with this band and "get" what they're doing.

Their music is all at once very aggressive and heavy, yet hypnotic and beautiful. Tranquility created by raging turbulence.

But hey - if you get it and like it, then that's awesome. If you don't get it, then you were never meant to. No harm done. There's something out there for everyone.

Mikey ;)
vai.com

cnc74

#19 Post by cnc74 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:00 pm

They have this heavy groove type thing going on. I love it!
christin

gmercer9

#20 Post by gmercer9 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:33 am

They are opening for Ministry on 4/19 in New Orleans. Who's coming? Also, anyone know if Vai is playing with ZPZ on the next US leg? It is coming back to New Orleans in June.

ClarkyNZ

#21 Post by ClarkyNZ » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:36 pm

Yesterday was the first time I have ever managed to listen to an entire album of black/thrash/speed/nordic metal in one sitting. Normally two or three tracks is too much, but obZen absolutley rules, and the louder you play it, the more it opens up and reveals the subtle layers that comprise of its genetic code.

Get it in you.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#22 Post by Mikey » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:39 pm

gmercer9 wrote:Also, anyone know if Vai is playing with ZPZ on the next US leg? It is coming back to New Orleans in June.
No. Steve's focusing on his own work right now.

Mikey :)
vai.com

-SkiZ-

#23 Post by -SkiZ- » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:44 pm

Shredded Heat wrote:Rhytmically, I think they're a lot more technical & complex than the likes of Slipknot & Korn
more like, they're technical and complex unlinke slipknot and korn. and not just rhythmically 8)

lydian7

#24 Post by lydian7 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:16 am

what is Meshugah's quintessential album for the uninitiated? (like Passion & Warfare or SWTA)

Azrael

#25 Post by Azrael » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:08 pm

Mikey wrote:The new album is fucking incredible.

You can preview it in its entirety here:
http://www.myspace.com/meshuggah

To me, this album cements Meshuggah as the most vital metal band out there, and Fredrik Thordendal as an underrated guitar genius.

Mikey :)
vai.com
I've honestly tried to get into these guys. I've listened for the intricate guitar parts, but haven't been really able to hear them. Either they have to start mixing them higher or they shouldn't put them in at all.

In short, almost all of their stuff sounds like what hardcore mosh-monkeys punch babies to. That being said, I do love metal in most forms. I just really don't get Meshuggah.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#26 Post by Mikey » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:55 pm

Azrael wrote:In short, almost all of their stuff sounds like what hardcore mosh-monkeys punch babies to. That being said, I do love metal in most forms. I just really don't get Meshuggah.
Your loss I guess.

Mikey
vai.com

-SkiZ-

#27 Post by -SkiZ- » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:59 pm

Azrael wrote: I've honestly tried to get into these guys. I've listened for the intricate guitar parts, but haven't been really able to hear them. Either they have to start mixing them higher or they shouldn't put them in at all.
hmm maybe you should work on your ear i dunno. OR you're probably expecting some kind of super-fast super-over-used shred

Azrael

#28 Post by Azrael » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:05 pm

-SkiZ- wrote:
Azrael wrote: I've honestly tried to get into these guys. I've listened for the intricate guitar parts, but haven't been really able to hear them. Either they have to start mixing them higher or they shouldn't put them in at all.
hmm maybe you should work on your ear i dunno. OR you're probably expecting some kind of super-fast super-over-used shred
Or not. I have perfect pitch. That's not the sign of somebody with bad ears.

What Meshuggah was described to me as is metal with jazzy undertones. All I hear is percussive guitar riffing, albeit in complex meter, with barely audible complementary guitar parts at some junctions. It reminds me of Bolt Thrower in the fact that their riff writing is far from terrible, but they should mix it so it is more central in their songs. August Burns Red does a very nice job at using guitars percussively in mixed meters while having meaningful and clear complementary parts.

I don't think that Meshuggah are bad. I just don't think they're my cup of tea and don't think they live up to their potential and what a lot of the people I know have been saying about them.

-SkiZ-

#29 Post by -SkiZ- » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:42 pm

Azrael wrote: What Meshuggah was described to me as is metal with jazzy undertones. All I hear is percussive guitar riffing, albeit in complex meter, with barely audible complementary guitar parts at some junctions. It reminds me of Bolt Thrower in the fact that their riff writing is far from terrible, but they should mix it so it is more central in their songs. August Burns Red does a very nice job at using guitars percussively in mixed meters while having meaningful and clear complementary parts.

I don't think that Meshuggah are bad. I just don't think they're my cup of tea and don't think they live up to their potential and what a lot of the people I know have been saying about them.
i'm a mesh fanboi and I could keep talking and talking so i'll just add one more thing and stop...

you're comparing meshuggah with 2 REALLY different (might I add inferior?) bands. harmonically and rhythmically they're kindergarden stuff compared to meshuggah.

sonny sixshooter

#30 Post by sonny sixshooter » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:44 am

I have never really been into Meshuggah, but I bought Obzen, and I can't stop listening to it! It has something I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's a huge sound. Wonderful!