Meshuggah - "obZen"

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
spanishphrygian

#61 Post by spanishphrygian » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:57 pm

I really disagree with you all here. I think that saying that "This band that I am so fanatical about is so complex and advanced," is not a very reasonable statement.

I mean really there is nothing wrong with enjoying simple music. You don't have to rationalize listening to 'mushfuga' or whatever by its supposed 'complexity' which as I said and Skiz inforced that they do play simple things just by feeling.

I just do not go for all of the hype that these labels that have to hide in L.A. are into;German, Sweedish or not they still are parasites that feed in the hype capital of the world.

As far as me being a guitar hero- I do not care what anyone thinks, and have spent the last 30 years being very happy with the way that I play; which in turn is my own way of doing it, and not based around the current trends of who is selling world wide and putting out lame albums.

Finally, I do not have to hide at all. You would probably run home to your mommies begging them not to buy any more lame Mustgaguck cd ever again if you saw me face to face.

You really need to back all of your stuff here little boyz and most likely girlz (will my grandma played better then you when she was 7 too! She was a preschool music class instructor actually. haha).

Nah, my feelings don't even go to love or hate for this band. I listened to Metal since it came out in the '60s. Of course I am going to have thought of almost everything possible before other bands do it. I have imagination.

My problem is that this band is just not GOOD ENOUGH, original enough, slick, smart or talented enough to deserve the Fanatical Hype that people are endorsing here.

I merely want to send out the warning to other people that have be long yearning for something good from metal to come out not to believe the hype and fanantic reviews of this lame band that does not deserve it.

Most likely the real reason why this band is mentioned here on this site is because Mikey if friend with the a member of the band or a company that makes money of it in someway.

Then finally such a thread does not live up to the VAI world standards of excellence and musicness. This type of Pop/Flash in the Pan trend music should go to a Dirtheadbanger site or something with people that exist on that level.

Really if this post is for people "enjoying" then why do they encourage cheap imature charector attacks and other things that actually proves that what some idiot fans of this lame band really want. I did not start any of it, but I will reply- IF I WANT TO, while some of these people "just here to enjoy really say it all for themselves what there own problems are. haha."

So far all that has been proved here is that this lame band has fanatics that can't even back their false statements up.

sonny sixshooter

#62 Post by sonny sixshooter » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:21 pm

Well, the only thing that has been proved here is, that you are wasting time. Ours and your own.

You have no idea what you are talking about, you are the one making claims, wrong ones at that, without being able to back them with anything other than that we all seem to be girls or girly men to you.

If you don't like the band, fine, then why are you so passionate about it?

And why try to scare us with your looks? We can't all be beauty queens, but it can't be that bad, can it?

You don't like the music? Fine, don't buy it. But please either shut up and go somewhere else with your ignorant rants, or learn to make a real argument.

-SkiZ-

#63 Post by -SkiZ- » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:36 pm

spanishphrygian, that is the most elaborate pile of meaningless BS i've ver read in my life...
if you're THAT old, why are you acting like a teen-angst filled 15 year old with self-esteem problems and a weird necesity to prove others that you're some kind of super-humanly talented musical eminence superior to it all, that doesn't even need to learn theory because your imaginative part of the brain is so incredibly developed that you can play in this super-advanced seemingly unreachable way that no one can understand(or you can't even make up something understandable to "explain" it)?

prove this, otherwise, I'd won't do much more than to take you for a clown. post a video of you playing along with their "simple" beats and I'll shut up for good.

if you admire and worship Steve Vai so much, read the part in this thread when they say he likes M E S H U G G A H(there, learn to spell it), what are you going to say, that Steve is a moron??

spanishphrygian

#64 Post by spanishphrygian » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:02 pm

Steve likes Mushraguh? Well that changes things because steve is The Guitar Hero. I never could imagine that he would waste time or money or let such a band that sits there playing one pitch tone for half a 3min song like such a thing.

You see I think steve's albums should be twice the price becuase he has substance in his music, and even Fire Garden proves that he could out play Mushragup sleeping.

I did not mean to say that I was a guitar hero, yet was saying that I could think of tons of various rhythms one pitch as well. Maybe I got some of it from high school band classes or theory. I think I got all the variations from my imagination; which I think Musra lacks.

They are just a spin off of olde skool metallica, megadeth,slayer etc. Except you say that they play "polyrhythms" well big deal!

Steve and Joe play polyrhythms but at least they don't do it on one note for a freaking hour striaght-yuk! They do something with it.

So what metallica plays some simpler rhythms of galloping, but at least they have good riffs and some things that are cool going on.

Then Mikey says "It is already January 1st 12:05 am, and I am saying this is the best album of the year," I mean that is the most fanatical statment of hype I've heard in my life.

Of course if it was Steve Vai's album fanatical hype would just minimize and downplay how great is albums is because there is not enough of it in the world to do justice to just how great new Vai material is.

Anyway my whole day is not based around if someone likes vai or not because I like the music so much that I would not care what others think.

Just like my whole self esteem is not based around if I am a good guitar player or not. I have nothing to prove, and really do not care what you think.

In fact for your information I do not even play the Electric Guitar seriously anymore because I am more interested in Nylon Stringed guitars. I got sick of the Metal cliches and the same olde crap from those genres that anyone can play.

Einstien said that Imagination is more important then Knowlege. Hey I took Music theory in College okay and school only goes for around 6 years, then after that you are left with your creativity and imagination.

I do not care for this socially accepted "if you do not like it then you just don't get it," crap. Maybe I don't like marry had a little lamb okay! I freaking know what a whole step and a half step is and a quarter note and whole note and everything else in that stupid "song" called Marry had a little lamb.

Yeah I get Marry Had a Little Lamb, and I freaking say it is a crap song. Are you going to pay me 2 million a night to play it for you? haha.

All of these arguments are useless.

Just say that you like the band and that we should check them out. Get rid of the hype and the rational of how super slick these guy's math co-proccessors are.

I just wanted to but out the Caveat for the guy out there that trusted Mikey's opions and Skiz hype that they should see how sucky they really are on Youtube first.

That would be the next guys choice if he liked them or not.

For you to say that because I think you have bad taste makes me an idiot just proves and give more power to the argument that you are just a Fanatic beyond reason and logic; which in turn, is maybe the population that this band's market is in :lol:

The moral of my free lesson here is:

Listen to real music like Vai or Metallica!

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#65 Post by Mikey » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:58 pm

You clearly have a major intelligence deficit and unfortunately for you, every post you make in this thread just highlights that even further.

I wasn't going to waste my time responding to your self-deluded, juvenile and barely literate remarks, but now that you've alleged that somehow I get some kind of kickback for mentioning this band on the message boards, you've made it personal. Others have checked out their music and reasonably responded that this style of music isn't their thing, and that's fine. It's not everyone's cup of tea. There is a big difference between calmly stating your opinion and being completely incendiary.

Real musicians actually get out there and play their music for audiences who appreciate them (whether you think they're good or not). People with dead-end lives like you sit in their dark bedrooms telling everyone how they could do better, yet will never amount to anything in life. Sadly, you're just another big mouth on a messageboard with waaaay too much time on your hands. Rant all you like, but you'll still be a nobody, and your opinion will still mean nothing. Just because your dumb non sequiturs appear on a computer screen does not somehow elevate their legitimacy.

You hate this music. Good for you. We get it. Point taken. You've said your peace, now fuck off. This thread is for people who want to discuss this music in a meaningful way without having to defend it to reptilian-brained empty haircuts like you.

Don't post in this thread again. If you do, you'll be banned permanently. None of us have time for your stupidity.

Mikey
vai.com
Last edited by Mikey on Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GYiakoumi

#66 Post by GYiakoumi » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:17 pm

...Back to the topic at hand

First I heard of these guys.
must admit,
I like what I hear from their MySpace page.
I love Future Breed Machine
Kudos to them.

Regards.

RAI

#67 Post by RAI » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:28 pm

Like with most music, I can appreciate it for what it is.
It's not even close to being anything I would put money down for though...
I used to like "technically advanced" stuff just for the sake of it, but today I require a little more substance.

These guys don't do it for me.
But if they do it for you, rock on!
Last edited by RAI on Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#68 Post by Mikey » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:32 pm

RAI wrote:But if they do it for you, rock on!
And rock on we shall!

Mikey :)
vai.com

-SkiZ-

#69 Post by -SkiZ- » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:15 pm

RAI wrote:Like with most music, I can appreciate it for what it is.
It's not even close to being anything I would put money down for though...
I just to like "technically advanced" stuff just for the sake of it, but today I require a little more substance.

These guys don't do it for me.
But if they do it for you, rock on!
at last a decent, intelligent way of saying one does not like the band!

being a complete fanboi I'll recommend you to listen to some of their songs with more substance, because as a musician I do know some of their stuff is kind of repetitive and can get boring to people used to stuff with way more melodic value
-Sublevels (one of my favorite songs)
-Vanished
-Straws Pulled at Random (the end part, particularly)
-Pravus (from obZen)

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#70 Post by Mikey » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:27 pm

Nice selection. :)

I'm particularly fond of "Dancers To A Discordant System" on the new album. Such a devastating end to the album, and a beautiful solo from Fredrik - though it's hard to pick a favorite song from obZen because it's amazing from start to finish.

Some of my favorite tracks are:

The Mouth Licking What You've Bled (from Chaosphere)
Gods of Rapture (from None)
Ritual (from None)
Stengah, Closed Eye Visuals, Straws Pulled At Random (all from Nothing)

Although some fans weren't into Catch 33, I think the whole album is great. Beautiful hypnotic stuff.

Ever heard the remix of Future Breed Machine (Mayhem Version)? It's possibly the heaviest piece of music I've ever heard.

vai.com

-SkiZ-

#71 Post by -SkiZ- » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:00 pm

Mikey wrote: Ever heard the remix of Future Breed Machine (Mayhem Version)? It's possibly the heaviest piece of music I've ever heard.

vai.com
along with Aztec Two Step
Futile Bread machine is hilarious, haha it's one of my favorites too

cnc74

#72 Post by cnc74 » Tue May 06, 2008 5:58 pm

I will be talking about this show for a long time. This band is fucking incredible. I think my ears were bleeding. :D Meshuggah is the best metal band out there. Hands down!
Mikey: Thanks so much for introducing me to these guys. I loved every minute of it.
christin

litlgrnman

#73 Post by litlgrnman » Tue May 06, 2008 10:24 pm

cnc74 wrote:I will be talking about this show for a long time. This band is fucking incredible. I think my ears were bleeding. :D Meshuggah is the best metal band out there. Hands down!
Mikey: Thanks so much for introducing me to these guys. I loved every minute of it.
christin
Sounds like they just mighta knocked your socks off C! Wish i could have been there...I wonder if they're considering a tour stop in Nebraska... :roll:

cnc74

#74 Post by cnc74 » Thu May 08, 2008 7:34 am

To say the least. I knew they were going to be incredible, but they really blew me away.

Stephen Brown

#75 Post by Stephen Brown » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:13 pm