Meshuggah - "obZen"

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#46 Post by Mikey » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:11 am

-SkiZ- wrote:
Mikey wrote:"Sol Niger Withing v. 3.33" I highly recommend you picking it up. If you saw Steve's tour last year, it was the music that we played before the show.

Mikey
vai.com
ha! awesome!!!
I wonder what steve himself thinks about fredrik's music.
He likes it. That's why it was played before the shows.

Mikey
vai.com

jemgirl

#47 Post by jemgirl » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:00 am

for the dutch fans.....messugah is doing a gig at 21 june in 013.(tilburg).
just wanna let you know.

-SkiZ-

#48 Post by -SkiZ- » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:42 pm

one day after my bday...i wish i was dutch right now. i could also go to some Focus gigs!

treeduck

#49 Post by treeduck » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:56 pm

Mikey wrote:We're not three months into 2008, and I am calling "obZen" as metal album of the year.

The only possible competition for this crown will be if Devin puts something heavy out this year too..

Mikey
vai.com
Don't listen to Mikey, he just goes for anything Stevie loves!! Whether it's Prince, Devin or Zeppelin or who knows even The Macc Lads for all I know, Mikey will love it! If Steve told him he suddenly adored the work of The Cheeky Girls Mikey would be on here telling us all their latest album was fucking incredible, the album of the year!! ha ha just kidding, cos I know you can take it Big M...or am I?? :twisted: :wink:

spanishphrygian

#50 Post by spanishphrygian » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:12 pm

I warn people to first listen to these guys on youtube. I did and was glad that I did not run out and purchase anything from them.

I remember when Metal was Good and had riffs and ideas.

These guys are as lame as everything else form Hollywood for the last 10 years. They play one note with a lame ryhthm and we are supposed to be amazed by that? I played better when I was 12 years olde.

For the first time I am glad that Youtube has saved me money and a huge dissapointment 'once again' from buying Hollywood crap.

I would rather buy my unsigned friends a Keg or whatever they like and watch them play at a level that is 500 times above this "Muchsucka" crap then waste a $ on there stupid cd.

sonny sixshooter

#51 Post by sonny sixshooter » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:54 pm

spanishphrygian wrote:I played better when I was 12 years olde.
Damn. You're good! How old are you now?
spanishphrygian wrote:For the first time I am glad that Youtube has saved me money and a huge dissapointment 'once again' from buying Hollywood crap.
That's right... Hollywood, Sweden. I forgot.

lydian2000

#52 Post by lydian2000 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:17 pm

sonny sixshooter wrote:
spanishphrygian wrote:For the first time I am glad that Youtube has saved me money and a huge dissapointment 'once again' from buying Hollywood crap.
That's right... Hollywood, Sweden. I forgot.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

-SkiZ-

#53 Post by -SkiZ- » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:11 am

spanishphrygian wrote:I warn people to first listen to these guys on youtube. I did and was glad that I did not run out and purchase anything from them.

I remember when Metal was Good and had riffs and ideas.

These guys are as lame as everything else form Hollywood for the last 10 years. They play one note with a lame ryhthm and we are supposed to be amazed by that? I played better when I was 12 years olde.

For the first time I am glad that Youtube has saved me money and a huge dissapointment 'once again' from buying Hollywood crap.

I would rather buy my unsigned friends a Keg or whatever they like and watch them play at a level that is 500 times above this "Muchsucka" crap then waste a $ on there stupid cd.
I laugh in the face of people like you, the fact that you don't understand the stuff they do because it's too complicated for your kindergarden music knowledge doesn't mean it's lame. you're not fooling anyone with your completely vague "analysis" of what you heard...I'd like to hear a composition of yours and see if it's even worth it to consider taking you seriously

spanishphrygian

#54 Post by spanishphrygian » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:59 pm

Well still yet another lame Los Angeles label:

NUCLEAR BLAST AMERICA
Nuclear Blast America
2323 W. El Segundo Blvd.
Hawthorne, CA 90250
Phone: (323) 418-1400
Fax: (323) 418-0118
e-mail:mail@nuclearblastusa.com

Close enough to Hollywood.

Nah this band is not that advanced; sort of simple really. I guess I should have recorded my Rhythmic Exercise sessions when I was 14 and put it out as an album. I could come up with 10x more material just using imagination and not breaking a sweat. In fact, I would not even have to count the beats in my head this stuff is so simple.

Hey if it is complex and "hard" for you than thats cool if that is all you want. I suggest listening to a more progressive band that has some subtance in their material.

The problem is that these stupid LA (next to hollywood) labels will not work with anything that is actually prog or advanced and complicated even if the artist is not trying to be, but just thinks in such a way.

Finally, we are all left with a bunch of hype and marketing gimmicks ripped off from any form of good real music and left paying for everything except for Real Music.

I am so glad that I did not fall for the hype, and that I could find out for myself through YOUTUBE that this is not a band that I am going to waste money on.

I am not saying that YOU are a bad person or stupid for liking this crap, but I do firmly believe that you are wasting your money. You are not even paying for music with these guys, you are just paying for some image and more marketing and advertising.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#55 Post by Mikey » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:27 pm

spanishphrygian wrote:I played better when I was 12 years olde.
spanishphrygian wrote:Nah this band is not that advanced; sort of simple really. I guess I should have recorded my Rhythmic Exercise sessions when I was 14 and put it out as an album. I could come up with 10x more material just using imagination and not breaking a sweat. In fact, I would not even have to count the beats in my head this stuff is so simple.
And that's why they're out selling records and touring the world, while you're a legend in your own mind sitting in your bedroom posting stupid comments on a message board, right?

Nobody is forcing you to listen to or like this band, but if you can't stand them so much, fine. Don't post in this thread. This thread is for people who appreciate the music of this band. Not for you to wander in and leave ignorant steaming brain turds in the middle of the room while others are trying to have a good time.

It's easy to sit and criticize when you're hiding behind your computer and posting anonymously. If you think you're so much more advanced, then why don't you record an album, post it here and let the public comment on it. C'mon hero, put your money where your mouth is.

Don't bother replying. Just walk away.

Mikey
vai.com

sonny sixshooter

#56 Post by sonny sixshooter » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:17 pm

spanishphrygian wrote:Well still yet another lame Los Angeles label:

NUCLEAR BLAST AMERICA
Nuclear Blast America
2323 W. El Segundo Blvd.
Hawthorne, CA 90250
Phone: (323) 418-1400
Fax: (323) 418-0118
e-mail:mail@nuclearblastusa.com
Well, maybe you should cheack your sources, Nuclear Blast is a German label.

-SkiZ-

#57 Post by -SkiZ- » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:19 pm

spanishphrygian wrote:
Nah this band is not that advanced; sort of simple really. I guess I should have recorded my Rhythmic Exercise sessions when I was 14 and put it out as an album. I could come up with 10x more material just using imagination and not breaking a sweat. In fact, I would not even have to count the beats in my head this stuff is so simple.
hehe this is just thrash talk with absolutely no intelligent content. this is a perfect example of the Dunning-Kruger effect, search it on wikipedia if you're interested, the first paragraph say it all. seriously spanishphrygian, if you think that's basic, then there's something(o reverything) you're missing there...
please let me listen to one of your uber-complex compositions, how you master polymeters and polyrhythms...until then, me and everyone with decent musical intelligence are going to keep believing you're just a charlatan trying to fool others and yourself...

sonny sixshooter

#58 Post by sonny sixshooter » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:26 pm

-SkiZ- wrote:...until then, me and everyone with decent musical intelligence are going to keep believing you're just a charlatan trying to fool others and yourself...
Tha last part being the sad one. One thing is doing it to convince other people you're a (guitar) hero, but doing it to convince oneself, well, that's just sad. It's not even funny.

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

CHAOS

#59 Post by CymbalSplittingSkinbasher » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:37 am

Meshuggah are notoriously known as a "love-hate" band for a lot of people. I've read tons of reviews all over the place on their material & basically, people hate these guys, or absolutely love them. I like them, so that means I'm a "liker," not a lover or a hater. :lol: Anyways, I enjoy their music, but it can occasionally get somewhat redundant, but that's ok with me. I really enjoy odd-time stuff, so that's one reason I like them, although I've heard stuff way more oddly complicated than Meshuggah's music.

You want a good starting point? Start with Chaosphere, which is easily their most "accessible" recording! :lol: :lol:

-SkiZ-

Re: CHAOS

#60 Post by -SkiZ- » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:17 pm

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher wrote:Meshuggah are notoriously known as a "love-hate" band for a lot of people. I've read tons of reviews all over the place on their material & basically, people hate these guys, or absolutely love them. I like them, so that means I'm a "liker," not a lover or a hater. :lol: Anyways, I enjoy their music, but it can occasionally get somewhat redundant, but that's ok with me. I really enjoy odd-time stuff, so that's one reason I like them, although I've heard stuff way more oddly complicated than Meshuggah's music.

You want a good starting point? Start with Chaosphere, which is easily their most "accessible" recording! :lol: :lol:
yes I know they're love'em or hate'em band, but saying that one could play better at age 12 is shear proof of utter over-compensation, total musical ignorance or plain arrogance...

"odd time stuff" can be a lot of things...like a simple 7/8 beat. but it can also mean a world of things, if you listen to the first riff in their song rational gaze for example, you'll notice that the cymbals and snare are in plain 4/4, while the guitars and bassdrum are in I think it's 25/32. so you got a polymeter there...then after 4 25/32 bars the fifth one is 28/32 (or 7/8 ) if you do the math 25+25+25+25+28=128, that means that the whole thing starts over again after exactly 4 bars in 4/4...wich is the same as saying it's a biiig syncopation. but the guys in meshuggah don't really do all this pseudo-analysis i just did while composing actually, they've said in many ocasions it's just feel, actually it's not that hard, but it's no the only thing i admire, their harmony is also really complex and chaotic, that's what I most like about them, and that's why Destroy Erase Improve is my favorite album