Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Booligan

Big Bad Bill wrote:
jem7v wrote:If you go to www.satriani.com you can hear one of the songs thats gonna be on the album.Its called "I Just Wanna Rock"
I was excited and hoping that it would "rock",,,but to be honest,,i think it sucks..really bland and boring for satch......just my opinion though
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! I'm assuming this is one of the 'better' tracks on the new CD? Why would you make a mediocre one available first? The words 'cliche' and 'cringe-worthy' comes to mind when listening to it-I Just Wanna Rock indeed.

no no no. you got it all wrong. the words this song makes come to mind are "AC/DC". and i really mean

AC/DC
sonny sixshooter

Mr Clark wrote:I have a feeling that Steve really tries to be innovative, and satch.. well.. a bit less lets say :lol:
Of course you hear standard licks in Steve's playing, but it's here and there, not large sections of solos..
I also agree with the cringing.. the synth voice saying "that is your babies"? or god knows what.. it kind of belongs in house music :D
... and then there is Real Illusions, which I think falls under the same umbrella as the one you say Joe belongs under.

I haven't heard Joe's album yet, but I am hoping...
Mr Clark

lol real illusions house music? :D :D :D
lydian2000

Booligan wrote:
Big Bad Bill wrote:
jem7v wrote:If you go to www.satriani.com you can hear one of the songs thats gonna be on the album.Its called "I Just Wanna Rock"
I was excited and hoping that it would "rock",,,but to be honest,,i think it sucks..really bland and boring for satch......just my opinion though
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! I'm assuming this is one of the 'better' tracks on the new CD? Why would you make a mediocre one available first? The words 'cliche' and 'cringe-worthy' comes to mind when listening to it-I Just Wanna Rock indeed.

no no no. you got it all wrong. the words this song makes come to mind are "AC/DC". and i really mean

AC/DC

+1
<Mike>

The first riff in I just Wanna Rock is the most predictable riff ever from satch. It's something I could do myself and put it in the trash can, not to be mean. I don't like it at all.

*dissapointed*
prman

This " I Just Wanna Rock" tune is almost as annoying as "Crowd Chant" from Super Colossal. It`s obviously written in an attempt to write a guitar instrumental where the crowd can participate in live situation. Those kind of tunes should only be performed live and not be recorded on studio albums at all. Total album filler and disappointment on my part.

I will still check out the new album `cos I know that this is the worst track of them all.
ClarkyNZ

<Mike> wrote:The first riff in I just Wanna Rock is the most predictable riff ever from satch. It's something I could do myself and put it in the trash can, not to be mean. I don't like it at all.

*dissapointed*
I'm looking forward to your next release! :D
holzwurm

prman wrote:This " I Just Wanna Rock" tune is almost as annoying as "Crowd Chant" from Super Colossal. It`s obviously written in an attempt to write a guitar instrumental where the crowd can participate in live situation. Those kind of tunes should only be performed live and not be recorded on studio albums at all. Total album filler and disappointment on my part.

I will still check out the new album `cos I know that this is the worst track of them all.
Nah, Crowd Chant really rocks... while "I Just Wanna Rock" sucks... especially the synthesizer-voice-thing...

I hope that this is the worst song on the new album... :?
Samuele

Bryceybhoy wrote:My only complaint is that he just seems to 'jam' too much. I would rather he sat down and picked his spot. Since the 'Joe Satriani' record, he's just jammed in the studio as opposed to actually 'writing' his songs.
If memory serves me well, I think Joe on many occasions stated that that's how he's always done it. The solos on his records are all improvised, and then he re-learns them for the live performance. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read he did this even with Surfing With the Alien. :)
<Mike>

yup your partly wrong, it's not like he took the first take of all solos. Sure, some solos are less worked through than others but some are very worked through. For example Flying In a Blue Dream is very worked through and exellent.
This new song though, the solo on it sure seems improvised. It's a good satch improv but it's not good enough to be on a song like this... imo that is.

Geez.... I can't stop disliking the song. I mean, it's friggin Satch! I feel mean to say it but he should've called it quits quite a few albums back, then he would be rememered as a much better composer than he will now.
jem613

<Mike> wrote:Geez.... I can't stop disliking the song. I mean, it's friggin Satch! I feel mean to say it but he should've called it quits quite a few albums back, then he would be rememered as a much better composer than he will now.
I feel the same :(

Sooooo much talent, and yet he puts out records that just don't sparkle like they could
MikeB7070

The early Satch records were monumental for me, however the past 10 years of his work are hit and miss in my book, but it is what it is. If "I Just Wanna Rock" is where he's going, I probably won't be buying it....nah, I'll buy it anyway.
Big Bad Bill

MikeB7070 wrote:The early Satch records were monumental for me, however the past 10 years of his work are hit and miss in my book, but it is what it is. If "I Just Wanna Rock" is where he's going, I probably won't be buying it....nah, I'll buy it anyway.
Yeah, but at which point will you say, "Well I'm not going to pay for this anymore!" Its like continuing to buy Kylie Minogue albums because she did a good track once-its just not reasonable after a while. I wonder what the people over on the Satch forum are saying about his recent output? I can guess! :wink:
hush

Hey,

haven't posted here in a while.

Found this on the satrianiforum, thought you might enjoy :

Amazon.com clips
http://www.amazon.com/Professor-Satchaf ... 364&sr=8-5

Though I'm staying away from any clips to avoid expectations :wink:
Last edited by hush on Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB7070

Big Bad Bill wrote:
MikeB7070 wrote:The early Satch records were monumental for me, however the past 10 years of his work are hit and miss in my book, but it is what it is. If "I Just Wanna Rock" is where he's going, I probably won't be buying it....nah, I'll buy it anyway.
Yeah, but at which point will you say, "Well I'm not going to pay for this anymore!" Its like continuing to buy Kylie Minogue albums because she did a good track once-its just not reasonable after a while. I wonder what the people over on the Satch forum are saying about his recent output? I can guess! :wink:
To be honest, I haven't bought the last two Satch records because I didn't hear much I liked...so we'll see. I need to hear more than that sad little song, so I'll wait until then.

I would like to see him branch in a different direction, ala engines of creation, or something along those lines....as well as find a more dynamic band, but that's just my opinion. :)