Making a living and guitar...

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
boswell

Re: Making a living and guitar...

#16 Post by boswell » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:00 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:I'm afraid I can't do 'brutally honest'. Its my British upbringing. boswell on the other hand is a Yorkshireman and it comes easier to him!
I dunno....you do it quite well face to face. :wink:

Chris99

#17 Post by Chris99 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:32 pm

Azrael wrote:Imagine how tough it is to be a classical musician trying to find work. :
Tough for them? Where do you think the music comes on TV programmes..EVERY television programme for that fact, and every movie and even the bloody news.

Chris99

#18 Post by Chris99 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:36 pm

If you aren't famous your money is in Live performances.

Stephen Brown

#19 Post by Stephen Brown » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:17 pm

I could write for ages about this subject. Instead, I'm waiting for an interview.

leigh01

#20 Post by leigh01 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:59 am

For us poor guitarists out there, unless we/you are mainstream and extremly lucky, id say your best bet is to go for being a session guitarist and also music/guitar teacher.

leigh01

#21 Post by leigh01 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:01 am

Chris99 wrote:If you aren't famous your money is in Live performances.
Na mate, you can make a heck of a lot of money from session guitaring just in a recording studio. as long as the mainstream rich artist's hire you.

Incestuous_Monk

#22 Post by Incestuous_Monk » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:45 pm

boswell wrote:
Big Bad Bill wrote:
boswell wrote:So who says you don't have a voice? You?
Surely it's for us your potential audience to make that decision? 8)
That's a very good point. Has anyone who's opinion you trust, heard your playing and commented upon it?
Have you any "original" sound clips or videos we can listen to, me and BBB will be brutally honest about them.
Seriously if your decision not to pursue a professional guitar career is based on your opinion of your own playing I think you should reconsider. Many of the more humble Rock Stars don't rate their own playing, yet we the fans of their music worship them like gods.
I think I'm too fragile to have brutally honest - just kidding! To be truthful, nobody I know would be that honest (I surround myself with 'yes' people!!).

For me, my ears and opinion are the ones that count. As for recordings - I don't really have much recorded - but I may post something in the self-promotion forum at some point.

Thanks guys,

Steve :)

boswell

#23 Post by boswell » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:26 pm

Incestuous_Monk wrote: To be truthful, nobody I know would be that honest (I surround myself with 'yes' people!!).
That puts you 99% on the way to being famous! :wink:

acoates

#24 Post by acoates » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:48 am

A music degree should have had some course on composition. Get together with other people and write some music its easier than you think and the whole industry is build on plagarism anyway

Incestuous_Monk

#25 Post by Incestuous_Monk » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:19 pm

FRETPICK wrote:I could write for ages about this subject. Instead, I'm waiting for an interview.
I'm interested... could you tell your story?

Incestuous_Monk

#26 Post by Incestuous_Monk » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:23 pm

boswell wrote:
Incestuous_Monk wrote: To be truthful, nobody I know would be that honest (I surround myself with 'yes' people!!).
That puts you 99% on the way to being famous! :wink:
Lol! Maybe I should start wearing kilts and make sure I'm photographed stepping out of cars.

Magnifying glass and tweezers at the ready...

Incestuous_Monk

#27 Post by Incestuous_Monk » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:29 pm

acoates wrote:A music degree should have had some course on composition. Get together with other people and write some music its easier than you think and the whole industry is build on plagarism anyway
Very good point on plagiarism. I've written with bands and alone; I far prefer writing alone. Although, knowing a good drummer is very helpful. I wonder if Virgil is free... :wink:

Big Bad Bill

#28 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:43 pm

I believe Robert Johnston said, "Borrowing ideas from one person is called plagiarism, borrow from many is research!"

Stephen Brown

#29 Post by Stephen Brown » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:27 pm

Incestuous_Monk.

I write for me. If people like it..... cool. If they don't, it doesn't matter.

All guitar players can be pigeonholed. Even your own identity of the instrument can be pigeonholed by yourself.

Being over analytical can harm as well as pin point advancements.

50/50 is good. The balance changes daily & that's what I call the ARTIST effect.

60/40 ^...V....^.....V....^...v.....^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^ Arrrrrrr

What does a pro do? Lives with it & works through it.

Incestuous_Monk

#30 Post by Incestuous_Monk » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:36 pm

Thanks FretPick.

I'm not sure what my ratio is - but I understand your points and would tend to agree.

Am I just being defeatist or has everything been done there is to do on the instrument?? I don't necessarily think it's all been done - but it sure is getting harder to be unique! It's been a long time since an inspired person really come through in the guitar world - at least in the rock idiom. Guitar magazines will occasionally tout some kid as the next big thing - sadly 99% of the time it proves to be hot air.

Someone that did make me sit up and take note was a French-Canadian acoustic guitarist by the name of Erik Mongrain. For me he is a breath of fresh air - and if you get to check him out then do. His album is just immensely beautiful. Here are a couple of appetisers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbndgwfG22k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4B_Q7AWYaw