Could a Rock group of over 40's make it big?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
thejonesfactor

#16 Post by thejonesfactor » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:01 pm

Write a catchy tune, sell it to someone for use in their advertising and before you know it, you're HUGE. Good, bad, young old, it won't matter. Shove something down the public's throat long and hard enough, they will swallow and beg for more, eventually.

That horrid band doing the Mac commercials is a perfect example.

budt

#17 Post by budt » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:54 pm

Jemaholic wrote:It seems that if you made as a young'un and grew old it's OK, but as a 'new talent' it's impossible to break through as a top act.

The industry focuses on the young, hip talent - currently.

But as the Boomers get older new and emerging music markets can and will open up that we've never seen before.

I doubt we'll see Geritol and Depends rock stars doing 80's hair metal, but I believe there is money to be made in the 'older' music market... 8)
Yes, a new demographic will emerge!

Music and the music business are two different things, but they intersect.

Right now it seems that the Industry Product is too "machine-like" ... in sound and in presentation ... anyone here make it all the way through last night's Grammys?

burnt out

#18 Post by burnt out » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:41 pm

The industry focuses on the young, hip talent - currently.
I think you mean young un-hip non-talent. And they've been doing that and trying to convince naive youth that stupid crap is actually hip and talented music ever since the birth of mtv and they have succeeded 100% in this evil plan. For people nowdays line up for that yummy yummy crap, even the ones who think they are wise to it and are making a better musical selection by selecting from oh so popular sub-genres which suffer from the same types of fashionista dress codes and moronic accompanying cultic lifestyles...hey...a lifestyle in a bottle...if you drink then you too are a poser.

A band should have it's own unique defined sound,but not a genre or sub-genre. Genres and subgenres these days have sounds that are way too defined. That makes it impossible for any band to have a very unique or original sound of their own. Unless of course they are cool enough to have the cajones to ingore it all and just do whatever they want regardless of who it upsets in terms of all of the mindless dildos who think everything every band puts out should all sound the same so that it is easier for them to label it and digest it so that they will know what to like to impress their equally moronic friends.

StevieRayVai

#19 Post by StevieRayVai » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:15 pm

Funny you started this when you did. Check out The Gutter Twins consisting of Greg Dulli (The Afghan Whigs) and Mark Lanegan (Screaming Trees). They just recently collaborated to create a solo album that came out yesterday titled "Saturnalia". It's an incredible album, and I guess they actually started the process of writing it back in the early 2000's. They've gotten some great reviews of the album including a 7.8 from Pitchfork media which is really hard to come by. I forgot to mention that they're both in their 40's now...

spanishphrygian

#20 Post by spanishphrygian » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:55 pm

Well yeah of course if people want it. I guess we would have to have a new sub-culture in which it is cool to have grey hair and to be olde or something.

burnt out

#21 Post by burnt out » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:36 pm

Hell, I'm starting to think that you should have to be atleast 40 before I'd even consider listening to your music. Or you should at the very least be out of puberty and over cliques and hip/cool lifestyles.
......... Image........