Could a Rock group of over 40's make it big?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
boswell

#1 Post by boswell » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:45 am

A couple of threads (Classic Rock thread the Robbie n Kylie thread etc.) on here in the last week prompted a debate during a telephone call with a friend this week.

Well to kick things off they would probably have to go it alone marketing their music because the "industry" is only interested in Brands sorry Artists that appeal to teenagers.

So say you got 5 previously unknown, talented musicians/vocalists who could shake off all the family/work commitments holding back us "normal" guys, could they shift a shed load of albums and sell out the big venues? 8)

boswell

#2 Post by boswell » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:26 am

I'll take that as a no then? :wink:

Big Bad Bill

#3 Post by Big Bad Bill » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:53 am

Not in the mainstream arena. Mainstream music is too youth/looks-driven for a new over 40s band to make it. Put your spandex away, boswell, for everybody's sake!

boswell

#4 Post by boswell » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:55 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:Not in the mainstream arena. Mainstream music is too youth/looks-driven for a new over 40s band to make it. Put your spandex away, boswell, for everybody's sake!
Why? your insist on wearing yours! :wink:

guyver_dio

#5 Post by guyver_dio » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:12 am

I believe so, but I could imagine it would be no easy feat. There are some genres that I don't think requires age in their formula for success, but if you were 40 and trying to market commercialized pop music I don't think you're gonna do very well lol. Age in Rock, Metal, Blues, Jazz etc.. in my view doesn't have as stronger focus on age or appearance, although Rock and Metal does have it's stereotypes (i.e the rough cut beer drinkin hard ass look) I don't think it will deter it's target fan base as much as more commercialized genres. You'd definitely be marketed differently then a younger group for sure, I think your success would rely mostly on your unique contributions to the rock genre which would probably turn out to be a genuine success rather then an fad in the charts. So you pretty much just have to write some of the most kickass rock ever lol, should be easy enough.

boswell

#6 Post by boswell » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:42 am

guyver_dio wrote:I believe so, but I could imagine it would be no easy feat. There are some genres that I don't think requires age in their formula for success, but if you were 40 and trying to market commercialized pop music I don't think you're gonna do very well lol. Age in Rock, Metal, Blues, Jazz etc.. in my view doesn't have as stronger focus on age or appearance,

You'd definitely be marketed differently then a younger group for sure, I think your success would rely mostly on your unique contributions to the rock genre which would probably turn out to be a genuine success rather then an fad in the charts. So you pretty much just have to write some of the most kickass rock ever lol, should be easy enough.
Thats kind of how our discussion went, til someone pointed out people over 40 don't produce good rock!

Big Bad Bill

#7 Post by Big Bad Bill » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:24 am

guyver_dio wrote:I believe so, but I could imagine it would be no easy feat. There are some genres that I don't think requires age in their formula for success, but if you were 40 and trying to market commercialized pop music I don't think you're gonna do very well lol. Age in Rock, Metal, Blues, Jazz etc.. in my view doesn't have as stronger focus on age or appearance, although Rock and Metal does have it's stereotypes (i.e the rough cut beer drinkin hard ass look) I don't think it will deter it's target fan base as much as more commercialized genres. You'd definitely be marketed differently then a younger group for sure, I think your success would rely mostly on your unique contributions to the rock genre which would probably turn out to be a genuine success rather then an fad in the charts. So you pretty much just have to write some of the most kickass rock ever lol, should be easy enough.
If all these factors were present in an over 40s band, you might expect them to have made it before reaching this chronological milestone, unless it required a unique combination of personnel that occurred later.

I think, you may be giving the rock fraternity too much credit with not being influenced by looks and age, guyver_dio-I think their just as fickle as the mainstream audience.

777lovein

#8 Post by 777lovein » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:54 am

Jes they can do :)

Obsidious

#9 Post by Obsidious » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:05 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote:
guyver_dio wrote:I believe so, but I could imagine it would be no easy feat. There are some genres that I don't think requires age in their formula for success, but if you were 40 and trying to market commercialized pop music I don't think you're gonna do very well lol. Age in Rock, Metal, Blues, Jazz etc.. in my view doesn't have as stronger focus on age or appearance, although Rock and Metal does have it's stereotypes (i.e the rough cut beer drinkin hard ass look) I don't think it will deter it's target fan base as much as more commercialized genres. You'd definitely be marketed differently then a younger group for sure, I think your success would rely mostly on your unique contributions to the rock genre which would probably turn out to be a genuine success rather then an fad in the charts. So you pretty much just have to write some of the most kickass rock ever lol, should be easy enough.
If all these factors were present in an over 40s band, you might expect them to have made it before reaching this chronological milestone, unless it required a unique combination of personnel that occurred later.

I think, you may be giving the rock fraternity too much credit with not being influenced by looks and age, guyver_dio-I think their just as fickle as the mainstream audience.
This.

Masi

#10 Post by Masi » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:50 pm

"If you build it they will come."

"Big" to a person in their 40's hopefully means something completely different than "big" to your teenage son. (imaginary or not.)

I would imagine it is possible, because it is impossible in the current way the music business is run...against the grain, against all odds and no holds barred..."Just go for it!"

ClarkyNZ

#11 Post by ClarkyNZ » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:34 pm

I just saw the final concert in Bon Jovi's 'Lost Highway' tour the other night.

40-somethings sure can put on a good show! 8)

Big Bad Bill

#12 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:24 am

Masi wrote:"Big" to a person in their 40's hopefully means something completely different than "big" to your teenage son. (imaginary or not.)
Well to me it means being obscenely rich, having all the cars, guitars, amp, FX I could ever want. Having a huge house in every major city of the world! It means being adored by people who don't even know you. It means being fascinating to all people, especially women. It means being able to wear wacky clothes, a white fake mink coat, without people thinking, 'Knob head', it means being able to do whatever you want, whenever you want, it means.....well it means what Nickleback say in that Rock Star song. Now what does it mean to your son? :wink:

b2

#13 Post by b2 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:13 pm

Of course they can. They just have to make some really good songs.

boswell

#14 Post by boswell » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:50 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Masi wrote:"Big" to a person in their 40's hopefully means something completely different than "big" to your teenage son. (imaginary or not.)
Well to me it means being obscenely rich, having all the cars, guitars, amp, FX I could ever want. Having a huge house in every major city of the world! It means being adored by people who don't even know you. It means being fascinating to all people, especially women. It means being able to wear wacky clothes, a white fake mink coat, without people thinking, 'Knob head', it means being able to do whatever you want, whenever you want, it means.....well it means what Nickleback say in that Rock Star song. Now what does it mean to your son? :wink:

You forgot to mention Monster Trucks!

Jemaholic

#15 Post by Jemaholic » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:12 am

It seems that if you made as a young'un and grew old it's OK, but as a 'new talent' it's impossible to break through as a top act.

The industry focuses on the young, hip talent - currently.

But as the Boomers get older new and emerging music markets can and will open up that we've never seen before.

I doubt we'll see Geritol and Depends rock stars doing 80's hair metal, but I believe there is money to be made in the 'older' music market... 8)