Why Do You Play Guitar?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
leigh01

I love playing guitar because theres always some sort of challenge to be had, whether it be theory or technique. also it makes my life feel meaningful happy.
thejonesfactor

I play bass, because my fingers are too fat for guitar :lol:
Horsie
Newcomer

Because I get too nervous when I play the piano. I'd really love to play the piano but I don't want to practice till I can play Chopin or Rachmaninoff, so I picked up the guitar and... well, here I am.

So far, I love it. :lol:
peca86pfc

First of all guitar is a beautiful instrument trough which you can express your feelings. You can play most beautiful soft of melodies or you can shred it all day long. And also (someone mentioned it on this forum) girls do get wet while you are playing. there was a short movie on the Discovery about that. they sad that they really like when you play fast! So, axes in hands and practice. :D
spanishphrygian

I used love playing the guitar.

I have been detaching myself from Ego playing though. This is a medieval concept. By this I mean playing while not feeling emotions and not getting euphoric about it, yet trying to convey certain ideas.

This used to be what musicians did back in 1600 or something, and I've been experimenting with it.

The cool thing about a detached Ego is then you really do not care what others think about your playing and, your whole life and self esteem is not centered around if you are playing well or not.

Sometimes it is hard on a really off day, but I learn even more about detaching from that even. With this approach I find the guitar more of a discipline actually. That is very contrary to my last 30 years of unrestrained romantic and reckless passion.

Even more after getting compliments from other on my playing, I find it easier to sort of tune out any feedback that will not help me improve while taking note of things that could help me. This is something that I would not have been able to do when I was all wrapped up in ego and emotions back when I was 20 or something.

I guess through each phase in our lives we have different reasons for playing. These days my main reason for playing is to master the Soleas (Flamenco Form), in more ways then just on the guitar too.
Breeder

I do not even pretend I can play...but I for sure can pose...chicks say I look hot with my guitar...I guess that`s the only real reason...yes I have always been a poser
ibzguitarist

I have been detaching myself from Ego playing though. This is a medieval concept. By this I mean playing while not feeling emotions and not getting euphoric about it, yet trying to convey certain ideas.
Wow! Now THAT is a style different from the modern day guitar playing we normally hear.

As for me, a lot of people (including my friend) would do it for the girls it brings. Well, to be honest, if a girl likes what I do and can do.. great! That won't change whether or not I will continue playing, however. I play because music allows me to live my life to the fullest. I started with Led Zeppelin for a month or so, learned a bunch of their songs then found Steve Vai through YouTube. I had never seen technical playing prior to this that actually sounded great! Now, it's so different.. I wouldn't even want vocals in my band! I don't think I'll ever get old of Steve's playing and will just grow off of it. That's where I am now. :)
bluesbreaker

Because guitar is like a key to a whole new world, a world of magic. :lol:
Incestuous_Monk

For me it was a straight choice between playing the guitar or playing with my penis.

I didn't want to go blind - so I chose to play with my penis...

:shock:
Zebula77

I do both and don't worry, I play better with my eyes closed anyways.
lydian2000

Why do you breathe?

:peace
Symphon

i play guitar because, well, music runs in my family, my uncle was in many bands back in the day ... "Dexy's Midnight Runners", "The English Beat", "Cryer", "General Public", to name a few... and he plays piano and the accordion, and many other instruments given the chance. my brother also plays piano, so i decided to pick something different up. The Guitar.

Ive only recently started to get my feeling in my playing. After 5 years, its all starting to come to me. After learning some steve vai tracks (for The Love of God and Die To Live).

I play every chance i get, just cus alot of the time at the moment im bursting with feeling. even when im not playing, im thinking im playing, and ill be making all my guitar faces.
Incestuous_Monk

Zebula77 wrote:I do both and don't worry, I play better with my eyes closed anyways.
I nearly wet myself laughing at your reply!! I guess it's okay for me to play guitar then!

Take it easy,

Steve :)
joshua202020

Breeder wrote:I do not even pretend I can play...but I for sure can pose...chicks say I look hot with my guitar...I guess that`s the only real reason...yes I have always been a poser
Now that was honest. :lol:

Just like Steve. haha :lol:
Obsidious

Symphon wrote:i play guitar because, well, music runs in my family, my uncle was in many bands back in the day ... "Dexy's Midnight Runners", "The English Beat", "Cryer", "General Public", to name a few... and he plays piano and the accordion, and many other instruments given the chance. my brother also plays piano, so i decided to pick something different up. The Guitar.

Ive only recently started to get my feeling in my playing. After 5 years, its all starting to come to me. After learning some steve vai tracks (for The Love of God and Die To Live).

I play every chance i get, just cus alot of the time at the moment im bursting with feeling. even when im not playing, im thinking im playing, and ill be making all my guitar faces.
I wonder what your other says during sex when that happens. :lol: