Any DT fans Around?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
MEX

just thought this might sound interesting to some

http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
nyr40x94

Yeah .... I love DT..... they were my favorite band that is out there right now.....until they put out Six Degrees.
I think it's their weakest album yet.
I was looking for it a while back and can't find it. Don't know if I loaned it to someone or what but I can't find it, and I don't plan on replacing it.
I just couldn't get into it at all.
My favorite DT album(disc....Iguess I'm dating myself here saying album)
is Scenes from a Memory. Just an Amazing album from start to finish.
Almost a perfect album....like Mindcrime.
Operation Mindcrime by Queensryche IS a perfect album.

Just my opinion. ..... :shock:
spawn2048

nyr40x94 wrote:Yeah .... I love DT..... they were my favorite band that is out there right now.....until they put out Six Degrees.
I was looking for it a while back and can't find it. Don't know if I loaned it to someone or what but I can't find it, and I don't plan on replacing it.
My favorite DT album(disc....Iguess I'm dating myself here saying album)
is Scenes from a Memory. Just an Amazing album from start to finish.
Almost a perfect album....like Mindcrime.
Operation Mindcrime by Queensryche IS a perfect album.

6DOIT is strange, the tracks (I'll explain why I called them that later) show off very good musical abillity, it proves these guys have amazing technical ability and talent. As a whole the album is much heavier than previous albums, and is more progressive metal than progressive rock, and there is quite a bit of self indulgence where they just fall into infinity. I did not call them songs, because, well, they aren't. There is no structure. This is mainly due to the absence of a producer, the producer's job is to say, that bit sucks, take it out. This way you get a collection of edited and refined songs with just the good bits, all the crap has been cut. Because these guys are so amazingly talented they think that anything that comes from their hands (or mouth in LaBrie's case) is pure genious and must be put on the album, this means that none of the needless noodles are thrown out.
I do not dislike the album, it shows great technical ability and prowess of 5 excellent musicians, but is sometimes a bit pointless and lacking direction.

Mind Crime is a very good album, not perfect, but very very good. But being the hardcore DT addict that I am I have to say the Scenes From A Memory is better 8)
guyzif

Awke was the first DT album I bought and it is still my favourite. I only got into them about a month ago, I only have Awke , Images and Words, When a day and Dream Unite and Scenes from a Memory, what album do you guys suggest I buy next, (dont say all of them, im going to get them all, im a completist, just what order would you recomend?)
spawn2048

guyzif wrote:Awke was the first DT album I bought and it is still my favourite. I only got into them about a month ago, I only have Awke , Images and Words, When a day and Dream Unite and Scenes from a Memory, what album do you guys suggest I buy next, (dont say all of them, im going to get them all, im a completist, just what order would you recomend?)
My favourite of the ones you haven't got is 6 Degress of Inner Turbulence, but quite a few people dont like that album...so it might not be so great to buy it just yet, so I suggest Falling Into Infinity
hush

Nice to see someone is breathing life into this thread.
guyzif wrote:Awke was the first DT album I bought and it is still my favourite. I only got into them about a month ago, I only have Awke , Images and Words, When a day and Dream Unite and Scenes from a Memory, what album do you guys suggest I buy next, (dont say all of them, im going to get them all, im a completist, just what order would you recomend?)
My initial reaction would be to say: definitely go with "Falling Into Infinity". That's a nice complement to "Images & Words" and "Awake". However the proper follow up to "Awake" truly is "A Change of Seasons" (as it was actually) and would kind of bridge you back coming off of "Scenes From A Memory" (both theme albums/epic compositions).
greg wrote:ATIFMAN, FII is one of their best studio albums, IMO! Have you heard Trial of Tears, Lines in the Sand, or Hell's Kitchen? They're some of their best songs, all from that album, trial of tears in particular.
Agreed.

I have to say I agree with spawn2048 and nyr40x94 :
spawn2048 wrote:
nyr40x94 wrote:Yeah .... I love DT..... they were my favorite band that is out there right now.....until they put out Six Degrees.

6DOIT is strange, the tracks (I'll explain why I called them that later) show off very good musical abillity, it proves these guys have amazing technical ability and talent. As a whole the album is much heavier than previous albums, and is more progressive metal than progressive rock, and there is quite a bit of self indulgence where they just fall into infinity. I did not call them songs, because, well, they aren't. There is no structure. This is mainly due to the absence of a producer, the producer's job is to say, that bit sucks, take it out. This way you get a collection of edited and refined songs with just the good bits, all the crap has been cut. Because these guys are so amazingly talented they think that anything that comes from their hands (or mouth in LaBrie's case) is pure genious and must be put on the album, this means that none of the needless noodles are thrown out.
I do not dislike the album, it shows great technical ability and prowess of 5 excellent musicians, but is sometimes a bit pointless and lacking direction.
Specially spawn2048, definitely raising some good points.
GuitarSlinger wrote:id like to hear jordan rudesses playing a bit more, does he always use that synth sound when soloing? im really not keen on that sound and i feel that it sounds like a cheap keyboard version of an electric guitar, i heard rudes play straight piano and it was amazing,
Yeah, he sounds better with a piano sound like "Acid Rain" and "When The Water Breaks" on LTE2

I'd steer clear of "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" for awhile... for more detail look here http://vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=2 ... ght=#22551

Right now I feel like Dream Theater is more like Liquid Tension Experiment run amok.

I'd like the input of other DT fans on that as well. I'd post on the DT.net forum but from a brief visit, it appears to be lacking moderators and I fear it would generate uncivilized posts. I'd rather keep to the welcoming atmosphere of Vai.com.

It might be a good idea to start a unique thread rather than this thread or the "Satch lost his tone" thread... if there's going to be a significant response.

I will start it if I see there is enough of a response..

-------------------

In Vai we trust...
guyzif

Im going to see them on the 17th of January at the Hammersmith Apollo ENGLAND! Is their anyother Brits going to see them then, i've bribed my girlfriend into coming to see them with me. Until last week she didn't have a clue who they were, we were doing the washing up yesterday and I put on Images and Words, now she wants a copy of the CD. RESULT!!! Iv'e converted my grunger girlfriend into a Steve and DT fan in only 2 months, that not bad me thinks.

Any way is anyone here in the stalls for the hammersmith gig?
spawn2048

guyzif wrote:Im going to see them on the 17th of January at the Hammersmith Apollo ENGLAND! Is their anyother Brits going to see them then, i've bribed my girlfriend into coming to see them with me. Until last week she didn't have a clue who they were, we were doing the washing up yesterday and I put on Images and Words, now she wants a copy of the CD. RESULT!!! Iv'e converted my grunger girlfriend into a Steve and DT fan in only 2 months, that not bad me thinks.

Any way is anyone here in the stalls for the hammersmith gig?
I'm going to that gig....it should be fucking awesom...and well done for converting your girlfriend mate
guyzif

Cheers man! you close to the stage?

Might be a bit late to ask but what are they like live?

cheers

guyzif
spawn2048

guyzif wrote:Cheers man! you close to the stage?

Might be a bit late to ask but what are they like live?

cheers

guyzif
I'm stanin so I'm gonna be as close to the stage as possible, last time i was about 2 metres away from JP straight ahead of him and the 20ft wall of speakers was only 2 metres to the ride of me...awesome...absoloutely awesome. The guys are amazing live, you will not believe your ears for most of the concert
guyzif

Awsome, money well spent I think. Do they have any merchandise at these gigs, if so how much can I expect to pick up 2 t-shirts for.

Also, apart form the new material, whats are the regulars in the set list.

Are they sonic and visually excellent, are they animated on stage?

I should have found this out before booking the tickets, oh well, planning has never been my middle name. Still it's great to have an awsome band from over the other side of the pond playing here so close to home, how far is the gig away from you spawn2048, it takes me about an 1 & 1/2 hours to get their by train.

cheers

guyzif
guyzif

Sorry Mr moderators are these questions allowed?
Moderator777

guyzif wrote:Sorry Mr moderators are these questions allowed?
Sure you can ask those questions. If DT is on tour you might have better luck for an answer in the Petrucci forum or a DT website though.

--------------
Liels paldies,

Moderator777
www.vai.com
spawn2048

guyzif wrote:Awsome, money well spent I think. Do they have any merchandise at these gigs, if so how much can I expect to pick up 2 t-shirts for.

Also, apart form the new material, whats are the regulars in the set list.

Are they sonic and visually excellent, are they animated on stage?

I should have found this out before booking the tickets, oh well, planning has never been my middle name. Still it's great to have an awsome band from over the other side of the pond playing here so close to home, how far is the gig away from you spawn2048, it takes me about an 1 & 1/2 hours to get their by train.

cheers

guyzif
t-shirts will be about £10 and you'll be able to buy all sorts (especially from the people outside the venue...but shhhhh coz that isn't authentic merchandise)

yeah, they are pretty animated on stage, everytime JP hears his name shouted he'll go and smile at the guy eho shouted it and Rudess is constantly spinning his keyboard around so he can look at the guys

It's about a 1 / 1 and a half hour car journey depending on the traffic for me
guyzif

Cheers for that info spawn2048.

Its funny to think that we'll probably walk past each other on the night and never know it.