Any DT fans Around?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Bakerman

guyzif wrote:Just listening to SDOIT, is it just me or does the intro to about to crash(reprise) sound like steve's boy from seattle? just my opinion.
I don't know about TBFS, but 2 of the licks reminds me of Viv Woman and Jibboom.

Code: Select all

|-0--0--0--0---0-
|/9--7--5--5/7\3-
|----------------
|----------------
|----------------
|----------------

|------------------------------
|7p5p0-------------------------
|------9p7p0-------------------
|------------9p7p0-------------
|------------------9p7p0-------
|------------------------9p7p0-
The top one is similar to around the 10th bar of Viv Woman, but the 2nd one is almost a little too close to the main Jibboom thing. If you ignore the first F# making that a triplet, and the fact that the open strings are different because he plays it in 7th instead of 2nd position, it's the EXACT same notes and rhythm.
atifman

yeah...

by the way, your As I am powertab rules!
greg

Anyone got TOT yet?
guyzif

Bit iritating really, i woz gona get it 2day then my girlfriend told me here mum has ordered it over the net for me for Xmas. won't hear it till Xmas... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Wots it like, what DT album is it most similar to?
portnoytama
Newcomer

TOT=METAL
3mip1s4la
Newcomer

greg wrote:Anyone got TOT yet?
heeeeeeeelp! JP forum member in search of political asylum, the JP forum has gone insane with reviews, there's gotta be like ten to fifteen in the first page at the very least

and Mexican music stores haven't stocked it yet, so they're spoilers for me.
this sucks.
GuitarStrings

WOW!!! Train Of Thought is the masterpiece.
Listen to tracks 5 and 6 and you'll know why!!!
spawn2048

3mip1s4la wrote:
greg wrote:Anyone got TOT yet?
heeeeeeeelp! JP forum member in search of political asylum, the JP forum has gone insane with reviews, there's gotta be like ten to fifteen in the first page at the very least

and Mexican music stores haven't stocked it yet, so they're spoilers for me.
this sucks.
i know m8...its crazy over there - i've given up even looking at any thing remotely resembling TOT or As I Am
guyzif

Is it any good?
spawn2048

guyzif wrote:Is it any good?
I really like it, but I'm getting fed up of people slagging it off. Just because stylisitcly it isnt typical Dream Theater doesnt mean its crap, those people need to get their heads out of their arses and realise a band can change without 'seeling out'
guyzif

Being a new DT fan forgive me for not understanding but IMO people who don't like SFAM and SDOIT but claim to be die hard DT fans cant really be.

Before anybody bites my head off let me explain. All the DT albums before had a seperate producer, this means that the true musical ideals of the band couldn't come to the fore because the record companies and producers held some of the reins.

Now with SFAM and SDOIT they produced it themselves meaning that the full creativity of the band could shine through. Is it just self-indulgence? Mabe, IMO it is not.

On the subject of TOT was it produced by the band or did they have a seperate producer. If the former then that further proves my point.

Don't get me wrong I love all the DT albums they seriously kick ass but I just think the SFAM and SDOIT are a show of DT's true creativity.

By the waw my favourite album is Awake :wink:

cheers

guyzif

p.s. sorry if I offended anyone that was not my intention.
guyzif

What's even sadder is that if I had writen my previous post on the DT forum I probably would have got personally ridiculed and bashed until I was black and blue... sad really...
loser1
Newcomer

guyzif wrote:Being a new DT fan forgive me for not understanding but IMO people who don't like SFAM and SDOIT but claim to be die hard DT fans cant really be.

Before anybody bites my head off let me explain.
I think I've seen your posts on some DT forum(s). Although I am not offended by your comments, I do not see how you can be the judge as to who is a "Die hard DT fan."

Thats like saying anyone who like some Zappa albums with Vai, but aren't crazy about Ultra World can't be a true Vai fan. See how silly it sounds?

Don't get me wrong, I love ALL of Vai's work (OK, maybe not Whitesnake), as well as DT. But what makes a true "Die Hard" fan is not set by a list of critera. It is determined by the individual and how the artists work affects him or her.

I personally and a huge DT and Vai fan. Some Cd's I like better than others. But of course I love SDOIT and SFAM. Hell, I even like FII :D
For the record... I love DT!

But since this is a Vai forum... Just for the record, I've been a Vai fan since the Roth days. As soon as I saw him live back then, I was hooked. I knew he was a force to be reconed with concerning his guitar playing abilities. Pure geneus.

Cheers :wink:
guyzif

My apolagies, i retract my previous statment about 'die hard fans'. I do believe you about how its critical to pigeon-hole people and im sorry.

You are wrong in that I don't post on the DT forum, my work network won't let me for some reason.

The saddest fact is that if I had posted that on the DT thread I would have got bashed by about 40 people saying I was scum or sumthing. The reason I post DT stuff on the Vai forum is for Exactly that reason. Here we share our difference of opinion (as you have) and in this case made me re-think my opinion. There it would have fallen into a slaging match. I only go on the forum to read the interesting, FRIENDLY posts and to my mind there are to few over there, unlike here where 90% of the threads are friendly... Which is good.
Melodic Dreamer

DT is freaking awesome.