Kylie?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Message
Author
User avatar
boswell
Member
Member
Posts: 1065
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:50 am
Location: Yorkshire, UK

#16 Post by boswell » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:03 am

I guess Brown's comments are similar to the snobbery seen amongst Classical Music aficionados, were by they see the "Popular Classics" ie. the Beethovan, Mozart, Vivaldi tunes that most people know as being dross.

jagoda
Member
Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:16 am
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

#17 Post by jagoda » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:00 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:I think Brown was highlighting something that could be leveled at virtually all chart pop stars. They're about looks rather than about music and in the case of female singers, the whole game is about making them look sexy rather than the quality or originality of their music. They produce throw away music, so why honour them with an award that suggests they have something musically important to say? That's like MacDonalds or Burger King getting a Michelin star!
Are you trying to say pop stars have nothing important to say? And why are you ony talking about female singers? There are great pop stars out there. Are we forgetting Mariah Carey? Sure, I admit, lately it's all about her looks, but she does have an amazing voice and she makes beautiful songs. She deserves all awards she's received. Ah, since you mentioned it. It's not all about making FEMALE stars look sexy. It's the MALE stars as well. Examples - Gavin Rossdale, David Lee Roth - I mean in the 80s, David Coverdale - also the 80s, John Sykes and yes even Steve Vai... to name but a few. They were always in tight shirts or without them. Have you seen the Jelly Roll video? They are all great musicians, but their looks was also a very important part. I know the boys don't care about this, but being a girl it's pretty hard to miss this. So don't attack female stars only, 'cause it's the male as well. And not just pop stars, it's rock stars too.

To Shredded Heat:
Are you trying to say someone is less worthy for not playing an instrument? Having a great voice is also important. Not many have that. Mariah Carey writes her music on a piano. Some people are only singers, some are only players and some can be both, but nothing is more important.

Abhishek
Member
Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:43 am

#18 Post by Abhishek » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:22 pm

jagoda wrote:
Big Bad Bill wrote:I think Brown was highlighting something that could be leveled at virtually all chart pop stars. They're about looks rather than about music and in the case of female singers, the whole game is about making them look sexy rather than the quality or originality of their music. They produce throw away music, so why honour them with an award that suggests they have something musically important to say? That's like MacDonalds or Burger King getting a Michelin star!
Are you trying to say pop stars have nothing important to say? And why are you ony talking about female singers? There are great pop stars out there. Are we forgetting Mariah Carey? Sure, I admit, lately it's all about her looks, but she does have an amazing voice and she makes beautiful songs. She deserves all awards she's received. Ah, since you mentioned it. It's not all about making FEMALE stars look sexy. It's the MALE stars as well. Examples - Gavin Rossdale, David Lee Roth - I mean in the 80s, David Coverdale - also the 80s, John Sykes and yes even Steve Vai... to name but a few. They were always in tight shirts or without them. Have you seen the Jelly Roll video? They are all great musicians, but their looks was also a very important part. I know the boys don't care about this, but being a girl it's pretty hard to miss this. So don't attack female stars only, 'cause it's the male as well. And not just pop stars, it's rock stars too.

To Shredded Heat:
Are you trying to say someone is less worthy for not playing an instrument? Having a great voice is also important. Not many have that. Mariah Carey writes her music on a piano. Some people are only singers, some are only players and some can be both, but nothing is more important.
I do agree with u on the first point u made....but mariah remains totally senseless and cliche driven music to me....(i have only heard her greatest hits album so i maybe wrong...)
But pop music has given the world gr8 artists in the form of michael jackson,spice girls,savage garden etc....u guys might cringe at the mention of the spice girls here but u cant deny the fact that they had absolutely BRILLIANT producers....some chord patterns used in their songs are unlike anything i have heard in mainstream rock music(eg.2 become 1,too much etc)....i would prefer them anyday over green day or nickelback etc.(no disrespect) Michael remains the greatest vocalist i have ever heard....a superb performer and one of the few pop musicians who actually wrote most of his music while savage garden were just plain ol bubblegum..they wrote their own music too(correct me if i am wrong)
So all in all even though the half naked wannabe pop idols prancing might not matter to general ppl as more than a walking blowjob....u cant deny the hard working and talented producers working for them...
8)

I think i have gone completely off topic now... :shock:

User avatar
lydian2000
Member
Member
Posts: 1508
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:43 am
Location: Brittany, France.

#19 Post by lydian2000 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:09 pm

Abhishek wrote:u guys might cringe at the mention of the spice girls here but u cant deny the fact that they had absolutely BRILLIANT producers....some chord patterns used in their songs are unlike anything i have heard in mainstream rock music(eg.2 become 1,too much etc)....i would prefer them anyday over green day or nickelback etc.(no disrespect) ...u cant deny the hard working and talented producers working for them...
8)

I think i have gone completely off topic now... :shock:
I agree with you entirely, and speaking about excellent production, I often find myself admiring the work on some songs by justin timberlake (we're talking pure production work here)or sometimes even britney spears("toxic" for example, even though it relies on very simple chord structures).

:peace

Abhishek
Member
Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:43 am

#20 Post by Abhishek » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:55 am

lydian2000 wrote:
Abhishek wrote:u guys might cringe at the mention of the spice girls here but u cant deny the fact that they had absolutely BRILLIANT producers....some chord patterns used in their songs are unlike anything i have heard in mainstream rock music(eg.2 become 1,too much etc)....i would prefer them anyday over green day or nickelback etc.(no disrespect) ...u cant deny the hard working and talented producers working for them...
8)

I think i have gone completely off topic now... :shock:
I agree with you entirely, and speaking about excellent production, I often find myself admiring the work on some songs by justin timberlake (we're talking pure production work here)or sometimes even britney spears("toxic" for example, even though it relies on very simple chord structures).

:peace
Yeah....actually the chromatic chord movements during the chorus of 'toxic' are pretty killer :shock:
U might notice that the pop people nowadays emphasize more on beats than melodies....rihanna et al...while it was all about catchy melodies in the late nineties and early 00's...so things ARE changing in the 'industry'....but the reason things are looking low nowadays might lie in the fact that the US,UK or Europe havnt managed to produce the nxt dominating power the world of music(MJ,elvis,beatles....) which might kickstart a new era in music....

WTF am i talking bout? :shock:

andy82
Member
Member
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:09 pm

#21 Post by andy82 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:11 am

I dunno buddy... :shock:

User avatar
Big Bad Bill
Member
Member
Posts: 4071
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:40 am
Location: Honley UK

#22 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:55 am

The thing is, you can analyse virtually any piece of music and come up with something vaguely interesing or even novel. Novelty doesn't make something worthy-look at the Cheeky Girls! In fact, here they are
Image

User avatar
boswell
Member
Member
Posts: 1065
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:50 am
Location: Yorkshire, UK

#23 Post by boswell » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:36 am

Please no...........too much skin n bone there for me.

mr_vai777
Member
Member
Posts: 366
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:34 am
Location: Swindon, United Kingdom
Contact:

#24 Post by mr_vai777 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:20 am

i dont like kylie but she is good at what she does. its just that you dont need to be particularly good to do it.

User avatar
lydian2000
Member
Member
Posts: 1508
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:43 am
Location: Brittany, France.

#25 Post by lydian2000 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:24 pm

+1 but to me her best song is that duet with/wriiten by nick cave...that shows she can be more than the bubblegum blonde tart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRMe5H9WKpM

User avatar
thejonesfactor
Member
Member
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:15 pm
Location: UCONN HELL ,CT.

awards

#26 Post by thejonesfactor » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:34 am

Awards mean shit, especially the emmy's, grammy's, oscar's, these are for the sheeple. Real music doesn't need awards, it only needs ears. As long as corporate morons are running things, it is quantity over quality. I would agree, the likes of KM don't need recognition, but they do need awards, just like Kenye, he needs that reasurance he is actually an artist, which he isn't. He, like all of them, are puppets of the machine and we are the enlightened free thinkers who see what is outside the neat little box they want us all to listen to.

Now you mean to tell me the Cheatah Girls don't actually write their own stuff? Now my whole perception of the world is clouded and I am confused as to where to turn for insightful lyrics and sexy dance moves.

Music is the best, too bad they wouldn't knwo good music if it crawled up their ass and farted a masterpeice.

saraht
Member
Member
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:27 am
Location: UK
Contact:

#27 Post by saraht » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:59 pm

Kylie Minogue's continued popularity astounds me. Ian Brown is right – she does make music for 'little kids'. I really liked her when I was about 5 years old, in the late 80's. I think that was when she made all of her 'best' music, (I maintain that I should be so lucky is a good song, but maybe that's just nostalgia) and also when she looked her best.

But I don't think she's done anything decent for years. And I think she's too old now to be a 'pop star'. And she does look kind of weird now – scrawny, and alien-like. Someone I know once described her as 'grotesque' but I think that's a bit mean!

In interviews and stuff she always seems really nice and genuine compared to a lot of pop stars. I just think she should retire, or do something different – she's done very well for someone who doesn't write their own material!

Having said all that, I actually prefer her music to anything Ian Brown has ever released! But i can understand why he said that stuff about her, because it's kind of true.

User avatar
boswell
Member
Member
Posts: 1065
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:50 am
Location: Yorkshire, UK

#28 Post by boswell » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:14 am

Image

Yuk


Image

Yum Yum

Sex Sells :lol:

User avatar
Big Bad Bill
Member
Member
Posts: 4071
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:40 am
Location: Honley UK

#29 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:00 pm

Who on Earth would put a picture of 'Monkey face' on their wall?

User avatar
llamahead
Member
Member
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:24 pm
Location: rio rancho, new mexico
Contact:

#30 Post by llamahead » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:19 pm

i do care and i think it's ridiculous. . . . . . .

i've asked ALOT of my classmates if the know Yngwie, Satch, Steve, John P., Dream Theater.

none of them know any of them. except of course the total guitar geeks :D

Post Reply