Kylie?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Big Bad Bill

Kylie?

#1 Post by Big Bad Bill » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:54 am

Did any of you read or hear Ian Brown's (Ex-Stone Roses) comments about Kylie Minogue?

The Q Awards might have honoured Kylie Minogue with an award, but she was obviously not so well admired by Ian Brown, as he launched into a stinging tirade against the Aussie pop princess.
Speaking at the ceremony at London's Grosvenor House Hotel, the Mancunian singer said Kylie's music was "rubbish" and "for little kids".
He told the BBC Radio Five Live: "I don't know what Kylie's doing at a music awards to be honest.
"I don't think she's cute. I don't think she's good-looking. Her music's rubbish - she makes music for little kids.
"I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm putting her down, but there's a lot of great minds out there making music and she's not one of them."
Kylie had earlier received the Q Idol award, while former Stone Roses frontman Ian received the Q Legend gong at the star-studded event.

What do you think? Do you care?

Breeder

Re: Kylie?

#2 Post by Breeder » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:05 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Do you care?
No :mrgreen:

R1FSR

#3 Post by R1FSR » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:18 am

2 answers to this

NO i dont really care

...and i agree with Ian Brown :wink:

(this is my opinion and doesnt really count for anything) :wink:

andy82

#4 Post by andy82 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:09 am

I like to be open to all styles of music. I don't actively want to listen to a Kylie song, but when it comes on the radio I don't turn it off either, so I guess I don't mind her stuff.

It was low for Ian Brown to say those words. She just battled breast cancer not long ago. Even if he doesn't like it, his a professional and a role model, if he hasn't got anything good to say - shut up. How'd he feel if other arists (from different music genres) gave his music style a bashing.

Shredded Heat

#5 Post by Shredded Heat » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:28 am

Well... sell enough records and eventually the music industry will give you some kind of award. In this case, quantity doesn't seem to be correlated with quality.

Ian Brown vs. Kylie Minogue - that's pretty pathetic. It's a far cry from the wars some of those Scandinavian black metal groups have had in the past!

I thought this was pretty funny
Ian Brown wrote:I don't think she's cute. I don't think she's good-looking
Yeah he's a real oil painting himself

Big Bad Bill

#6 Post by Big Bad Bill » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:53 am

I think Brown was highlighting something that could be leveled at virtually all chart pop stars. They're about looks rather than about music and in the case of female singers, the whole game is about making them look sexy rather than the quality or originality of their music. They produce throw away music, so why honour them with an award that suggests they have something musically important to say? That's like MacDonalds or Burger King getting a Michelin star!

Breeder

#7 Post by Breeder » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:07 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:I think Brown was highlighting something that could be leveled at virtually all chart pop stars. They're about looks rather than about music and in the case of female singers, the whole game is about making them look sexy rather than the quality or originality of their music. They produce throw away music, so why honour them with an award that suggests they have something musically important to say? That's like MacDonalds or Burger King getting a Michelin star!
Welcome to capitalism!!

about music and western world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oPXRWRxda8

You dont have to like this guy`s music but please take 20 min and learn something :wink:

dohnut

#8 Post by dohnut » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:12 am

So what if she got an award. If you're serious about your music you don't do it for awards you do it for the satisfaction it gives you and your fans and make a little(or alot) of money while you do it, if you can. Personally I don't pay attention to awards, don't vote or any of that kind of stuff, just listen to the music and go to the gigs.

Shredded Heat

#9 Post by Shredded Heat » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:15 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:why honour them with an award that suggests they have something musically important to say? That's like MacDonalds or Burger King getting a Michelin star!
Any awards McDonalds or Burger King may have won will certainly not be for the quality of their products - far more likely to be for how much money they've made for their investors. Same thing with music.

Side note: as far as I'm aware, Kylie Minogue doesn't play any instrument. Nuff said

miker

#10 Post by miker » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:00 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:They're about looks rather than about music and in the case of female singers, the whole game is about making them look sexy rather than the quality or originality of their music.
Yah. Like... The Pussycat Dolls... what's up with that?! :?

lydian2000

#11 Post by lydian2000 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:18 am

[/quote]
Yeah he's a real oil painting himself[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

But regarding music, the man MAY have a point(lol). Watch and compare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgI1ovaYrl4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k88a_3NSZQQ

:peace

boswell

#12 Post by boswell » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:46 pm

lydian2000 wrote: But regarding music, the man MAY have a point(lol). Watch and compare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgI1ovaYrl4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k88a_3NSZQQ
Ian Brown F.E.A.R - dreary, dull sounds like just another Ian Brown track poor attempt at spicing things up with the video. Wouldnt be worried if I never heard it again

Kylie Minogue Can't get you out of my head - Catchy dance track that gets heads nodding, feet tapping and arses wiggling, Sexy video. Have the mp3 somewhere on my server.

Does Ian Brown have a point? Maybe. Who cares, his comments are like those from the Malmsteen interview his point of view and nothing more.

NantucketSleighrider

#13 Post by NantucketSleighrider » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:11 pm

Who is Ian Brown to have a go at Kylie? they both write music for the pop market, just because Ian doesn't like Kylie's style doesn't give him a right to take shots like this. At least Kylie KNOWS shes pop, and not "indie" like Ian Brown? Seriously, whats "indie" about being signed to Polydor?

Big Bad Bill

#14 Post by Big Bad Bill » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:06 am

miker wrote:Yah. Like... The Pussycat Dolls... what's up with that?! :?
It's clearly about the great music they write :roll:

Big Bad Bill

#15 Post by Big Bad Bill » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:10 am

boswell wrote:Ian Brown F.E.A.R - dreary, dull sounds like just another Ian Brown track poor attempt at spicing things up with the video. Wouldnt be worried if I never heard it again
It is a mesmerizing video though! I guess you hae to go back to his Stone Roses days to see his brilliance, now long gone.
boswell wrote:Kylie Minogue Can't get you out of my head - Catchy dance track that gets heads nodding, feet tapping and arses wiggling, Sexy video. Have the mp3 somewhere on my server.
I hate that dirge of a song! I really can't stand it and the video.