Yngwie speaks out :o

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
guyver_dio

#16 Post by guyver_dio » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:42 am

I think he meant identity as in solo career

Leanne_777

#17 Post by Leanne_777 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:49 am

It's a lousy thing to say about anyone at any stage of their career, let alone someone as gifted as John Petrucci, who was as gifted in 1994 as he is now.

Booligan

#18 Post by Booligan » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:54 am

Leanne_777 wrote:
Booligan wrote:
<Mike> wrote:hahha man.... he sure seems to be overconfident and braggy :lol:
he always has something negative that he can say about everyone that he could have done better himself haha.

Said about petrucci:
"I think in a couple more years he'll have his own identity."

Petrucci has a much more personal tone than malmsteen imo. Malmsteen is all about shredding scales up and down.
'
well, at that time Yngwie had been in the industry for nearly 10 years whereas John had been for a little less than 3 years.
Did you know that Dream Theater formed in 1985?

yes, but at that stage Yngwie was already selling millions and he already had his sound. when you´re a garageband, you can´t really say "we´re in the business already".

I´m a huge DT fan myself too, of course i know this stuff. you´re just angry because you don´t like Yngwies music that much. of course he can say things like that. why should everyone think the same way anyway?

Leanne_777

#19 Post by Leanne_777 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:06 am

Booligan wrote:
Leanne_777 wrote:
Booligan wrote: '
well, at that time Yngwie had been in the industry for nearly 10 years whereas John had been for a little less than 3 years.
Did you know that Dream Theater formed in 1985?

yes, but at that stage Yngwie was already selling millions and he already had his sound. when you´re a garageband, you can´t really say "we´re in the business already".

I´m a huge DT fan myself too, of course i know this stuff. you´re just angry because you don´t like Yngwies music that much. of course he can say things like that. why should everyone think the same way anyway?
I'm not angry at all, I think you're misunderstanding me. The fact that I'm not a fan of his music has nothing to do with it. By 1994 Dream Theater had released When Dream And Day Unite, Images and Words and Awake, calling them a garage band isn't really accurate. A lot of people think other artists may not be as talented or accomplished as themselves but it's just tacky and arrogant to say it in an interview.

guyver_dio

#20 Post by guyver_dio » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:17 am

Personally I didn't find that particular statement about Petrucci disrespectful at all, it sorta seemed like a positive thing like there'll be more and better things to come in the future from this guitarist. It wasn't at all suggesting petrucci may struggle to create his own identity. I think he just means at the time petrucci hadn't really ventured into a solo career where his name would be known separate from dream theater. Although I'm not sure when petrucci started to play under his own name, if it was as early as dream theater then I may be all wrong.

Booligan

#21 Post by Booligan » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:19 am

ok, then i must say that you´re forgetting it´s Yngwie ;)
also i didn´t realise this interview took place in 1994, forgive me for that.

I thought you were saying "Dream Theater were professionals in 1985 when they called themselves Majesty". maybe it´s time to close the case then :)

mr_vai777

#22 Post by mr_vai777 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:22 am

how does he not know some of these songs. cause we've ended as lovers is jeff beck's best song.

hes way too opinionated for me

al

#23 Post by al » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:54 am

yeah there 20 year reunion was 2 years ago :P

most people dont know they're that old to be honest, they've been around before i was born!

notavirtuoso

#24 Post by notavirtuoso » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:43 pm

Yngwie is just Yngwie and always will be. I spent years hating him based mostly on reading interviews. After watching a few interviews, my opinion slowly started to change. I think his sense of humor just doesn't come across in a printed form or the writers don't get him. I think he's funny as hell and when he says something that I disagree with, I don't get all worked up about it anymore. I just figure he's doing one of three things: 1. Being a smartass to some journalist wanting him to trash a bunch of guitarists because he has a reputation to do so. 2. Trying to pick on some of his friends for the fun of it, and sustain his arrogant reputation for saying outrageous things. 3. He is offering his honest opinion and it is worth no more or less than mine, so he's entitled to do so. Is Yngwie an arrogant ass? Sure he is, at least to some degree, but how much of that is an act? I hear Keith Richards is a much more stable person in private, he just plays the burnt out fool because that's what he's known for. Regardless, I don't think any of the artists he bashed need defending against the words of Yngwie. They've all had much harsher criticism in the past and I'm sure they can handle it.

Rachmaninoff

#25 Post by Rachmaninoff » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:51 pm

notavirtuoso wrote:Yngwie is just Yngwie and always will be.
Ditto.
BTW, I also dislike Kirk Hammett.

Zeds.Ded

#26 Post by Zeds.Ded » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:35 pm

Yngwie rocks. end off :wink:

andy82

#27 Post by andy82 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:10 am

just don't take him too seriously and you'll like him. His certainly one of a kind.

Zeds.Ded

#28 Post by Zeds.Ded » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:42 am

i think he's one of the only 'true' rock stars left

Zebula77

#29 Post by Zebula77 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:43 am

Ahh, I used to have that magazine, actually. I remember that artical very well. :wink:

Malmsteen should do more of this. Very funny.

Breeder

#30 Post by Breeder » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:32 am

Zeds.Ded wrote:i think he's one of the only 'true' rock stars left
and that says a lot...in a negative sense :P :wink: