What is your reason???

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
BorgAngel

Heey folks!

I was wondering why you peeps picked up the guitar.

I started playing because I saw Brian May playing Last Horizon in Rotterdam (Holland) and I thought; I want to do that to.

The best part is, I still can't play Last Horizon... I can do some Satch things and some other Queen songs! But I never played the song that made me pick up the guitar. :roll:
R1FSR

saw Jimi Hendrix film when i was about 9 on TV thats what made me want to at least try it out..started going to concerts about a year later ...and its been down hill ever since lol
NantucketSleighrider

Went to see Mountain at the Newcastle City Hall, totally blown away.
<Mike>

Long story short: My lil bros friend forgot a blind guardian cd in our home and I couldn't sleep so I listened to it. (Nightfall in middle earth)
It was the first time I ever listened to metal. Was totally blown away and decided to become the best guitar player in the world.

And here I am now, still struggling XD
williebee

I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan Show when I was 6 or 7 and that was it - HOOKED!!! After that the addiction just got worse. Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Leslie West, Zappa, Jimmy Page and the list goes on. Now almost 50 yrs old and I'm playing out 3 time a week steady. Tried to stop once, couldn't do it.
jemgirl

ohhh....easy to answer,
george kooymans (golden earring) steve vai and adrian vandenberg made me wanna play the axe.
Guitarmonky55

when i was 11 hearing 3 doors down made me want to play as a hobby. the first time i saw the g3 denver dvd made me practice uncontrollably.
rmdr
Newcomer

I got a guitar for christmas cause violins were too expensive lol. But I love the guitar now, wouldn't change it for nothing else.
eareshel

My dad..
guitarbonham

my best friend got a guitar and taught me heartbreaker by led zep which i was extremelly obsessed with at the time. so i picked up my dusty old acoustic that i had played for about 5 minutes when i first got it and couldn't stop. i was playing 24/7........ then i heard the audience is listening half a year later.... now i practice 8 days a week! lol ok that was a lame joke but ya pretty much
Big Bad Bill

Hearing 5150 and OU812 and watching EVH's 'Live wthout a Net'
Jeries

Although being a classical pianist since the age of 4 i saw an advertisement for a crappy yamaha strat in a Sharper Image catalog when i was 13 and knew i had to have an electric guitar.
guyver_dio

been brought up around bands my whole life, wanted to follow after dad and become a singer but I didn't quite have a strong voice for main vocals so I grabbed a guitar and won't stop till I learn the instrument inside out...so pretty much till i drop dead
leigh01

erm, when I was four I really wanted an electric guitar but my parents wouldnt buy me one, and I kept on mentioning it through the years and I got one at the age of 14 :)
I also managed to remember what it was that first inspired me..
Steve Vai when me and my brother and sisters were watching Bill and Ted lol
Leanne_777

I was just really into metal and it seemed like the done thing :D