Hip Hop Love

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
munchocruncho

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzCp5TNY7OQ :lol: :lol: :peace
By the way this proves my point that Hip hop can embody all genres.
Also it proves my point that not all hip hop lyrics are just "gangsta."
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

Ok, let's look at what's really going on here:

Hip Hop Love thread was created my munchocruncho. So, basically what we have here is a thread dedicated to muncho's appreciation of hip hop. Now, he starts the thread with this: "I know everyone here loves hip hop." Now we all know this is false & it's probably a deliberate tongue-in cheek comment. Next comes this:"A lot of you have false assumptions about hip hop, though." Ok, now we all know this is probably true to some degree, thing is, he's saying a lot of us have false assumptions, yet, he himself starts the thread off with a false assumption of his own, whether planned or not. :? Then comes this lil' tidbit on the invite:"What do you love the most about hip hop?" I'm thinking, hmmm, not much really, but somebody said there was a party & what an invite I got here!!!

So basically, munchos throwing a hip hop party, everyone's invited, it even says so on the invitation. Gets better, now comes the food:"I like em together like a stew." So, muncho's stew's already a brewin' & then <Mike> shows up & pours some hot sauce in the stew, but munch see, he don't like no hot sauce in his stew. Well, Masi shows up, is pumped for the party, but muncho, he's just gotta tell <Mike> he don't appreciate dat shtuff in his stew & suddenly accuses <Mike> of being violent, probably because muncho had some gangsta rap going through his head at the time.

Well, unbeknownst to the rest of them, Obsidious is listening in & wittily remarks that muncho sounds like Dr. Phil. :lol:

<Mike> & muncho go back & forth for awhile, more people show up, some for the music, some for the stew, some just to be near you. People are dumping different things in the stew kettle when they arrive. I get there a bit late, throw my extra hot spicy sauce in the stew, but muncho doesn't really notice it, or maybe just doesn't care at the moment. :shock: :twisted:

The party's going good for awhile, everybody's kinda feeling each other out, things are kinda cool, I start to get a bit wild, & muncho is starting to get aggravated & lose it a bit. He announces the party, people show, the stew's a brewin' but now he can't stand the smell of it, so he we are now. :lol: Party-Pooper!!! :cry:
another virtuoso

:lol: :lol: :lol:
munchocruncho wrote:"This is a useless thread. "
No. You, another virtuoso, cymbal, spanish, and everyone else made it a useless thread.
It was just a hip-hop appreciation thread. And I intended to have people share hip-hop music in it and talk about it. But everyone came in here and tried to make it a warzone.
mmm not really. just sharing my opinion. i didnt tell anyone they couldnt like hip hop or that they had too (unlike Somebody we all know.....) i dunno why you have to shit your pants every time someone has a differing opinion from your own.

edit.actually now that i go back and look at the first few pages, my first 2 comments were just good natured jokes that didnt even go one way or the other. plus i've already told you once i actually do listen to some hip hop, its just not one of my favorite genres and it doesnt get a lot of play in my car. i cant see why it would even matter to you anyway though to be quite honest. trust me, im not the one setting the trends.
munchocruncho

All you were doing was taunting.
Im not equating you with the others, but you also weren't being proactive in the thread.

"So, basically what we have here is a thread dedicated to muncho's appreciation of hip hop. "
No. It was a thread dedicated to hip-hop. Had nothing to do with me.

"Ok, now we all know this is probably true to some degree, thing is, he's saying a lot of us have false assumptions, yet, he himself starts the thread off with a false assumption of his own, whether planned or not"
Which was the false assumption?
If it was "You all love hip-hop" it wasn't a false assumption. It was a simple joke.
If it was "Yall have false assumptions" you just said 'this is probably true to some degree' so how could it be false?

"I'm thinking, hmmm, not much really, but somebody said there was a party & what an invite I got here!!! "
No one said party. No one invited you.
Notice the invitation said "What do you like most about hip hop"
It didn't say "What do you dislike about hip hop."
So why would you come into the "party" if you disagreed with what the party was about. Protesters always stay outside. They don't come in.

"& suddenly accuses <Mike> of being violent, probably because muncho had some gangsta rap going through his head at the time."
No. Twas just a joke. If I really wanted to get on him I'd talk about him using "Gay" as an insult.

You're trying to crack jokes now cause you know you have no case. You know you've been wrong the whole time.
another virtuoso

well i say its about time for everyone to chill out in this thread before we see any jerry springer type stuff go down lol. i'll stay out of your thread since im not positively contributing to the initial intent of its creation. :P
hey cymbal lets move the party over to randomonium dude :)
everyone is happy 8)
<Mike>

Cymbaldude, I laughed my ass off when reading your previous post :lol: :lol: :lol:
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

Well muncho, actually I just came for the stew, but I'll roll with the tunes, hey, after all, it's your party! Just play a lil' Elvis before I leave would ya!? :D
Moderator7VWH

It's pretty disappointing to see that members, who aren't exactly newbies anymore, engage in this juvenile bickering behavior. I would have expected better.

Here is one chance to get this thread back on track in a civilized manner or suspensions will be awarded.

Moderator7VWH
<Mike>

I'm sorry moderator, I take part of the responsibility of all the stupid thinigs that have been said in this thread. It's easy to let your tounge (fingers) slip away when chatting on the internet.
spanishphrygian

Well I am just trying to find my false assumptions about it. I love all forms of music, and I am very happy being a great guitarist. I just wonder if there is something that I have overlooked in the hip-hop Genre.

I think that I have found that my initial impression is the same after I have investigated a bit. I still do not like hip-hop and know I am informed about it.

I do not see hip hop as having anything special on its own. Rock and other forms seem to do fine on there own, yet can be influenced by other genres as well. This does not make hip-hop unique.

The only thing that you said that makes it unique compared to other genres is Rapping. Then I think Looping, Sequencing, and Sampling may be part of it as well. Dancing to me is not music so I do not take interest in the B-Boying.

Looping, Swquencing, Sampling, Scratching, and who knows what else can be done by rockers, and other musicians. Steve Vai has obviously done such things as well. I like the way Vai does it, but then again Vai is a rocker.

For some reason I just cannot stand the Hip Hop way of doing these things with I guess what you call 'rap' over it. Listening to the same loops over and over again really get on my nerves. Samples of certain sounds just vex me as well.

I like Music Concrete though, and some anolog Synth stuff. I used to love Rush and they had a log of sequence and synth stuff as well. So I just cannot under stand why I cannot stand Hip Hop really.

I think that sample others' music is sort of hmm I do not know a good word for it. I really do not respect that. I have more respect for someone that cuts a track and mixes it themselves.

This whole DJ think in my opinion is just a way for club owners to save money so they do not have to pay a whole band to play. On top of that, each member in a band is an other personality to deal with. I think it is all bottom line economics really.

I cannot find anything in the style that I like but we do all love it for other reasons then actually listening to it.

One thing that I love about hip-hop though is that there is a generation of people out there with a idiom that they like and they really enjoy. Happy people make me happy.

Let me know if I left anything out here.
tweezersguitar!

Is this hip-hop ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1kUUgsCk2c

i quite like it anyway.. :oops:
tweezersguitar!

Last edited by tweezersguitar! on Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<Mike>

tweezersguitar! wrote:Is this hip-hop ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1kUUgsCk2c

i quite like it anyway.. :oops:
"yeah, aha, aha, yeah"

it's defenitly hip hop :P (or rap, can't say I know the absolute diffrence)

:P
TonyMacalpine

I must say, I really dislike hip hop (borderline hate). I'm African-American and 20 years old. I supposed that makes me quite weird.

I literally like virtually every other genre of music out there, but I never understood hip hop. I hear hip hop songs on the radio and I find myself waiting for the song to start until the song ends. I never found it musically fulfilling. I don't really consider it to be music.
TonyMacalpine

munchocruncho wrote:http://youtube.com/watch?v=AenMl_2jZQA

Nothing can compete with a good rock guitarist that has skills.
Please explain to me how this is hip hop music? Its a fairly straight forward (and very very good) cover of a great rock song. When did the hip hop happen? I think I missed it. I think if hip hop music were to really sound like that, then it would be called rock music.