Hip Hop Love

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

<Mike> wrote:

"Music isn't about how it affects the world, it is about how it affects each individual."

I always believed that individuals made up the earth's human population & that individual human beings, especially when joined together for a common cause, can affect the world around them, maybe I'm wrong. :? :idea: I also believe that the common person, the average Joe, whatever you want to call him or her, looks more towards music, art, films etc...for inspiration for social change, because a lot of times the voice of the people is actually being expressed through these channels instead of through the mouths & ineptitude of a good percentage of our corrupt politicians & their special interest group cohorts.

Real, truly substantive, beneficial & meaningful change comes from the people, not some Slick Willy caught with his hand in the cookie jar while his pants are down. :wink: :D :peace
munchocruncho

You're overstating the importance of Elvis.
Also what you're saying is, how the artist is received by the masses is what counts his worth. So you're saying that artists like Steve Vai are less important than an artist like Mims ("this is why i'm hot" :roll:) or Britney Spears.

Also, NO ONE SAYS "Don't Diss me." You obviously have such little experience in Hip-Hop. You're just making assumptions. Crack? You're out of touch with reality. Live in your ideal world where Elvis tore down the Berlin wall. Frank Zappa claims some responsibility for that too. It's not true when you say I don't have a clue about American Rock and Roll, you just have an idealized version of it.

Talk about how Hip-hop fans have been disrespectful, but notice it's all the rock fans starting the arguments.

"Real, truly substantive, beneficial & meaningful change comes from the people"
First off, none of what was said in this post addresses <Mike>'s quote.
Secondly, no change can't come from the people. We're controlled by reptilian humanoids.

Here's my favorite (w)rapper of all-time, damn was she good! :lol:

http://www.candywrappermuseum.com/rcrumb.html

Study history & you'll realize I'm not overstating anything. I don't mean to give the impression that Elvis Presley tore it down himself, but he helped more than you obviously realize, along with many others outside of the political spectrum.

The reason I gave Elvis as an example has nothing to do with your imaginary level of importance between Steve Vai & Mims, that's absurd & is just more munchomumble from you.

Actually, Elvis expressed an interest in reaching kids of his generation, to none other than President Richard Nixon, & I'm of the belief that his intentions were genuine, regardless of his ultimately tragic demise. Sure, his popularity was a great way to try to do that, but as we all know, popularity sometimes gets to the the best of us in sadly tragic ways & even the best of intentions can be squashed over time, or in the blink of an eye.

Oh, & I never said that Elvis himself claimed responsilibility for tearing down the Berlin Wall, maybe he was just too humble of a man to say it, & if Frank did actually say that he was partly responsible, I agree with him, good for him & I'm damn happy that he said it. Thank you. :mrgreen: :peace
lydian2000

Leanne_777 wrote:I, personally, don't know anyone who likes both
I do like both, and I know other people who do, coming to think of it they're actually professional musicians(more on the "rock" side.)
yes, it exists.

:D

Hey, I wonder what would happen if I went over to Blackalicious' website & started a thread titled:

"Buckets-o-Love fo' Big B & the Giant Robot Machine" :shock:

:lol: :lol:
seljer

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher wrote:Hey, I wonder what would happen if I went over to Blackalicious' website & started a thread titled:

"Buckets-o-Love fo' Big B & the Giant Robot Machine" :shock:

:lol: :lol:
didn't Buckethead appear in some Snoop Dogg video?
(not sure if that was just via Bootsy Collin's though?....I want to try a six degrees of Kevin Bacon type thing except for between musicians on collaborations on albums, or at least with live performances)
[edit: I meant they played together on the same track, so compilation albums wouldn't count]

he's done some stuff with DJ Qbert and theres a track he did with Saul Williams too

<edit2: heh, Saul Williams would already directly links Buckethead to Blackalicious as he appears on albums by both of them :D>

I'm aware of whom he's worked with & good for him, I never said it was wrong for Buckethead to work with rappers, I don't have to like it though. Sure, there's some decent beats & whatnot, & there's gems in the genre as in everything else, but what really kills it for me is as soon as somebody starts rapping, that's probably why I don't mind listening to Dr. Octagon's Instrumentalyst (Octagon Beats) once in awhile. :shock: :lol: :peace

Let me hear ya' all say: "Iz dare a Dr. in da house!!!?" :lol: :lol: :lol:
spanishphrygian

Well the question then is what can hip hop do that rock cannot? What can a hip hop person do that a rocker can't. Please let me know this.

Answer this and I WILL be impressed.
munchocruncho

Would you stop with Elvis!?
He's nothing. You keep repeating yourself when what you said was bullshit in the first place. Listen, if Elvis brought peace to the middle east he would still make boring music. And you said you don't like Hip-Hop music. The issue isn't what the people do in their spare time, because Frank Zappa wasn't a gigantic philanthropist but his music is still amazing. If you judge musics worth by the image of the people who make it, you're just as stupid as all the "wannabe gangsta rapper[s] spouting out inferior vulgar poetry that's saturated his entire cranium to the point of thoughtlessness."

Elvis may be of cultural importance, but not of musical importance. This is a Hip-Hop music thread. Nothing more. And when you're coming in here yapping about Elvis, and criticizing hip-hop based on false assumptions, you're own lack of intelligence, or your close mindedness, how can you expect me not to fight back?

Look, if you made an Elvis thread, I wouldn't have gone into it saying bullshit like "Elvis wore pink panties and painted the mona lisa." So why do you come into mine saying "All hip hoppers say is 'dont diss me' and shove crack pipes in my face."

Plus he wasn't a good person. He abused women, was a drug addict, degenerate, untalented, anti-semitic, egotistical, fat ass.
Nixon? OOO THERES A ROLE MODEL.

"What can a hip hop person do that a rocker can't"
Rap.

"Well the question then is what can hip hop do that rock cannot? "
B-Boying
<Mike>

Evlis didn't write his songs.

Anyway I still think this thread is pointless.

1. Arguing? I'm not arguing.

2. Role models? I never said Elvis or Nixon were good role models, although I'm sure they both were, to some degree.

3. Just because some music is "worthless" to me, doesn't mean others can't enjoy it.

4. Just relax, I'm only one person with a combination of some credible critcisms, generous generalizations, facetiously rediculous remarks, deliberate attempts at bafoonery & other variously assorted shackanery. I'm sure you'll get over it. :D :lol: :twisted: :peace
munchocruncho

"although I'm sure they both were, to some degree."
This deserves another thread.
Do you even know who Nixon was?

Well, yeah, he's one of the guys that used to be the President of the United States of America. Hmm, seems like that just might be a goal worthy for some to shoot for. :?
munchocruncho

He's also the only president to resign. He was also responsible for the deaths of many world leaders, attempted murder of the leader of chile, a racist. He supported health care that would serve less people. He was a generally bad guy.

BUT this is a hip-hop thread. Not history class.

I never said I supported all of Nixon's policies or decisions, you simply took a name & ran with it just like a gangsta. :o Oh, did I juz 'dis you? :roll: