Hip Hop Love

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
munchocruncho

Its a guitar solo by Hip Hop band The Roots.
And the Roots have a guitarist who is a rock guitarist. And a very good one.
So when spanish said that hip hop doesn't have rock guitarists with skills, I countered with that.

"I think if hip hop music were to really sound like that, then it would be called rock music."
No, I already addressed this.
Hip hop music can be all music. It can be jazz music (early roots, Guru, and others). It can be soul music. It can be funk music.
Theres no genre of instrumental music that is "hip hop"
munchocruncho

<Mike> wrote:
tweezersguitar! wrote:Is this hip-hop ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1kUUgsCk2c

i quite like it anyway.. :oops:
"yeah, aha, aha, yeah"

it's defenitly hip hop :P (or rap, can't say I know the absolute diffrence)

:P
Some say rap is just a word. But Hip hop is from the soul.
TonyMacalpine

munchocruncho wrote:Its a guitar solo by Hip Hop band The Roots.
And the Roots have a guitarist who is a rock guitarist. And a very good one.
So when spanish said that hip hop doesn't have rock guitarists with skills, I countered with that.

"I think if hip hop music were to really sound like that, then it would be called rock music."
No, I already addressed this.
Hip hop music can be all music. It can be jazz music (early roots, Guru, and others). It can be soul music. It can be funk music.
Theres no genre of instrumental music that is "hip hop"
thus it is parasitic and inherently derivative
munchocruncho

Exactly.
Like Jazz and Rock and roll are derived from blues.
Funk from soul.
Disco from funk.
New Wave from punk.
Music evolves.

Also to say there is no instrumental music that can be called hip hop is wrong. There are things that are characteristic of hip hop.
TonyMacalpine

munchocruncho wrote:Exactly.
Like Jazz and Rock and roll are derived from blues.
Funk from soul.
Disco from funk.
New Wave from punk.
Music evolves.

Also to say there is no instrumental music that can be called hip hop is wrong. There are things that are characteristic of hip hop.
So what exactly did hip hop evolve from and how exactly is it better? Hip Hop basically started with DJ's taking R&B records (music that extremely talented and skilled musicians recorded and popularized) and rapping over them. It is difficult to quantify that as an improvement in music so to speak. I would certainly take issue with using the term "evolve" since it implies that the later is a superior adaptation of the previous. I don't think that the first hip hop artists ever intended for their music to kill off what came before, but it has (at least in the Black community). That's one of my biggest gripes with it. It is looked at as an evolution when it hasn't brought anything discernibly better to the table. I personally would argue that it is a grossly devolved form of what came before, but I digress. Hip hop is the end of music. Though there are bands like the roots, they are so stuck and limited by the hip hop idiom that they can't really play to their full potential, at least not on their albums or radio releases. They probably are very good musicians, but by sticking with hip hop, no one will ever know. I think hip hop was an interesting idea that could have blossomed into something worthwhile before it was stylized as what it is not, but I don't understand why it's become so huge in its realized form. I can't imagine what could evolve from hip hop.
munchocruncho

It's not superior. Musical forms can't really be superior. I mean, they can, but so much is subjective.
What i mean by evolve would probably be better as morph, because music takes on different shapes and forms.

The thing is, underground hip hop is on the rise. People are listening to music with better musicianship because a lot of people dislike the mainstream hip hop.

The roots CAN reach their full potential, just because someone is rapping instead of singing doesn't mean the band backing them can't be amazing.

"but I don't understand why it's become so huge in its realized form. "
The hip-hop that is huge is so different than the hip hop that isn't. The rock music that is huge today is very different from the rock music that is underground. It works the same way.
Every genre has subgenres. Rock music has some pretty bad subgenres. Hip hop too. (in my opinion)
TonyMacalpine

munchocruncho wrote:It's not superior. Musical forms can't really be superior. I mean, they can, but so much is subjective.
What i mean by evolve would probably be better as morph, because music takes on different shapes and forms.

The thing is, underground hip hop is on the rise. People are listening to music with better musicianship because a lot of people dislike the mainstream hip hop.

The roots CAN reach their full potential, just because someone is rapping instead of singing doesn't mean the band backing them can't be amazing.

The hip-hop that is huge is so different than the hip hop that isn't. The rock music that is huge today is very different from the rock music that is underground. It works the same way.
Every genre has subgenres. Rock music has some pretty bad subgenres. Hip hop too. (in my opinion)
so what's going on in the underground that's so great?
munchocruncho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFSTf1ieVhE
Also, black thought from the roots can sing.
munchocruncho

TonyMacalpine wrote:
munchocruncho wrote:It's not superior. Musical forms can't really be superior. I mean, they can, but so much is subjective.

so what's going on in the underground that's so great?
I dont know.
I like their use of jazz chord voicings, great drumming, good guitar, great basslines, postive lyrics.
TonyMacalpine

munchocruncho

Nope. Its a really popular internet video.
TonyMacalpine

munchocruncho wrote:Nope. Its a really popular internet video.
Well, at what point does it stop being underground and start becoming popular. And is popularity averse to the alleged artistry. Everyone keeps going on about how Jay-Z is one of the best rappers ever, and I checked out some of his lyrics and music, and I was mortified. It sounded like a psychotic slave auction. wtf?
munchocruncho

Thats not even a real song its satire against mainstream hip hop.
It is a musical straight jacket. But it makes it that much more rewarding when you find the good stuff.

(See look, a Beethoven beat. (Its almost in his name). Once again, hip hop can use all genres.)
munchocruncho

TonyMacalpine wrote:
munchocruncho wrote:Nope. Its a really popular internet video.
Well, at what point does it stop being underground and start becoming popular. And is popularity averse to the alleged artistry. Everyone keeps going on about how Jay-Z is one of the best rappers ever, and I checked out some of his lyrics and music, and I was mortified. It sounded like a psychotic slave auction. wtf?
Jay Z steals his rhymes first off. I don't like Jay-Z. And I don't think he's a good representation of hip hop. He says, though, something along the lines of "Sold 5 mil, aint been rapping like common since" and Common is a rapper who used to be underground. Jay-Z blames his popularity, saying record labels make him dumb down is music....
"And is popularity averse to the alleged artistry"
...I dont think so. Common just had a number 1 record. And he's still a positive artist.

Obviously, only you can decide for yourself if what they say in the raps is good. And as for the music, I don't mind if hip hop sounds like other genres because it still has its own twist.
TonyMacalpine

munchocruncho wrote:Thats not even a real song its satire against mainstream hip hop.
It is a musical straight jacket. But it makes it that much more rewarding when you find the good stuff.

(See look, a Beethoven beat. (Its almost in his name). Once again, hip hop can use all genres.)
so they sampled Beethoven...what is that supposed to mean??

edit, i just checked out some of common's lyrics. a tad better than jay z, but still. wtf?