Symphony X, Paradise Lost

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
eareshel

So, what do you guys think about the new album?
I haven't really had the time to listen to much of it. but the stuff I've heard truly pwns.
Looking forward to headbanging to this! :D
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

I haven't heard it, but I've read several reviews & seems like this is their darkest & heaviest release yet. Supposed to be much more metal on this one, even Panteraesque at times. I guess Russell's voice is more gritty & raw as well, not much of him singing like we're used to hearing. Jason's getting some great comments on his drumming on this one & the production is said to be the best yet for them. 8)
<Mike>

wow this album rly rocks :) Much better than Dream Theaters new album and also much better than any other symphony x album I've heard before.

I've never felt like I've liked Symphony X before, but I sure do think they're cool now 8)
pataman

imo its their best album, along with V the new mythology.
slash89

These guys just keep getting better and better! 8)
Masi

I agree. Paradise Lost takes a good stride forward from "Odyssey" in terms of forging a heavier metal for the band. This one is highly reccomended.
Alistair
Newcomer

Class modern metal. Can't wait to see them supporting DT later this year. :D
KGNOKODOMO

NO NO NO!!
this friend who told this album it is better than new DT album, is very wrong
i am a huge fan of both bands, i bought both cd at same time, listened to them DT one way beyond better , lirically and musically speaking.
i got so dissapointed of SX i was waiting for a better album, but no i would not recommend, has nothing new, allen singing is the worst i´ve heard of him (he is my idol above james la brie) no singing, just screaming, no, no no, listen to dream theater again, if i may say, only the song "constant movement" is better than the whole SX album

i hope next album be a better one!!

SX rocks!! DT rocks!!!
Guitarmonky55

i saw these guys live about 2 weeks ago and bought the new album that night - AWESOME! Its definitely unique in their catalog, its a forward step. i was surprised hearing the gritty vocals, especially on songs like 'Set the World on Fire'. It works though, because he tastefully mixes that grit with his ridiculous voice. Some of the songs are just so well done. the Chorus to set the world on fire.....holy crap! and Then paradise lost - I love that song. this whole album is just awesome!
treeduck

I've just bought it but I've not had a chance to listen to it yet, as I got a ton of other stuff as well...

8)
lydian2000

off topic, but the more I hear ppl here enjoying james labrie's singing, the more I question some's ability to have any notion of intonation or being tone-deaf.
<Mike>

lydian2000 wrote:off topic, but the more I hear ppl here enjoying james labrie's singing, the more I question some's ability to have any notion of intonation or being tone-deaf.
Just so you know, James LaBrie is the singer of Dream Theater, not Symphony X :P

And you should check the new live dvd, score. James sings brilliant there. He had his bad moments before due to some throat sickness or whatever it was. He sings rly good now.

Their new album sucks though.
eareshel

KGNOKODOMO wrote:only the song "constant movement" is better than the whole SX album
Omfg... Speaking all expert talk, then calling Constant Motion "Constant Movement"?
Dude.. Don't make a fool of yourself
Personally I think DT's album IS better. Huge DT fan.
But SC and PD are two different albums. I enjoy one as much as the other.

Stay heavy!! :guitar
lydian2000

<Mike> wrote:
lydian2000 wrote:off topic, but the more I hear ppl here enjoying james labrie's singing, the more I question some's ability to have any notion of intonation or being tone-deaf.
Just so you know, James LaBrie is the singer of Dream Theater, not Symphony X :P

And you should check the new live dvd, score. James sings brilliant there. He had his bad moments before due to some throat sickness or whatever it was. He sings rly good now.

Their new album sucks though.
thanx for the info but I knew he is the singer of DT, just wrote this before his name is mentioned in earlier post because symphony X singer is supposed to be "even better" than labrie.

Score yes I have to check it out because of all(we 're talking hours here) the videos I'v seen on youtube I have mixed feelings to put it mildly.

Glad we agree on their new album (dark eternal night...just awful, like a collage of random styles..horrible) :peace

I'm in a big Opeth period now , but I'll have a look at symphony X, heard the names so many times before anyway.
<Mike>

lydian2000 wrote: thanx for the info but I knew he is the singer of DT, just wrote this before his name is mentioned in earlier post because symphony X singer is supposed to be "even better" than labrie.

Score yes I have to check it out because of all(we 're talking hours here) the videos I'v seen on youtube I have mixed feelings to put it mildly.

Glad we agree on their new album (dark eternal night...just awful, like a collage of random styles..horrible) :peace

I'm in a big Opeth period now , but I'll have a look at symphony X, heard the names so many times before anyway.
Ahh right. Well, I guess you'll have to get used to james voice. Not saying that "You like it, you just don't know it yet" but at least this was the case for me. When I started listening to DT I thought: "Wow... these guys would kick so much ass if they just replaced the singer" but now I absolutly love Labrie's singing.

About The song "The dark eternal night", I hate that song. The worst part, by far, is when he sings "Into the daaaaark eeeeeeteeeeernaaaaal night" in the chorus. It almost makes me cry blood. Almost.