Bucketheads 'In search of the' discussion

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
dweezil 9

I did a search and didn't find anything on this yet, so what do you guys think?
So far I've only heard the first two albums and it just sounds like buckethead improvising the whole time and jamming. Sort of annoying, but still some cool stuff.

Hopefuly it will get better though, and heavier. What were your thoughts, chaps?
seljer

he's done a pretty varied amount of stuff so it depends on what you've listened to.

some of it is downright morbid (in a good way, most of his heavier stuff), but some is a bit more accessible. Colma, Electric Tears and Population Override are all good, great albums to listening to at night. Enter the Chicken is also nice with the collobarations he did with various vocalists.
Shy Boy

I have it, but haven't had a chance to listen to much. Good so far. Didn't seem like a blow-off project to me.
Guitar God
Newcomer

Well I bought his tour only release "Crime Slunk Scene" and I must say I quite frankly was one of the worst albums I have ever heard. I have also listened to what extreme Buckethead fans say are his best song i.e. too many humans, electric tears, soothsayer, hog bitch stomp, nottingham lace. None of which were of any good. Ok well, Electric Tears is good for a minute or 2 but it's the same thing over and over. And Soothsayer is a good listen once maybe twice. Other than that everything I have ever pretty much just sucked!
Shy Boy

I’m not sure you’re a qualified judge here, because from the looks of it, you aren't a fan of a lot of Buckethead's music in general. Your opinion is still perfectly valid, but it just doesn’t mean anything to someone who already connects with Buckethead’s music quite easily and consistently.

I'm sure you'd like a few of Buckethead's songs, but those are by no means his definitive best. Sure, I really enjoyed some of those, but they're not the ones I'd necessarily recommend to a melodic guitar / Vai fan. Check out “Super Human” from Population Override, “I Love My Parents”, “Welcome to Bucketheadland”, "Star Wars", and “Binge and Grab” from Giant Robot, and of course check out the album “Colma”, because that’s his most approachable stuff for most people. Also, his new album, "Pepper's Ghost", has a lot of very good songs, and sounds like it's more composed than many of Buckethead's other albums that typically sound more like he just went into the studio and improvised a bunch of speed metal, fusion, or whatever it may be.
Guitar God
Newcomer

Well I just like more melodic things......you know things that have feeling. Not just banging nonsense like alot of Buckethhea's stuff.I agree in that my opoion probably doesn't help here seeing how everyone that posted already likes him but im entiteld to my opoion.

P.S. I have heard his arrangement on Star Wars.....but I prefer the origional.
treeduck

Guitar God wrote:Well I just like more melodic things......you know things that have feeling. Not just banging nonsense like alot of Buckethhea's stuff.I agree in that my opoion probably doesn't help here seeing how everyone that posted already likes him but im entiteld to my opoion.

P.S. I have heard his arrangement on Star Wars.....but I prefer the origional.
You must hear something totally different to what I hear when I listen to Buckethead, either that or you haven't listened properly...
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

Buckethead critics = :lol: :lol: :lol:
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

"Buckethead sucks" :lol:

"The guy can't play"

"Talentless, unoriginal & redundant" :roll:

"No skills" :lol:
Shy Boy

"sambora, take your head out of your ass you pretentious cock-rag. Vai is good, yes, and hes a faster shredder (sorry guys but that ones undeniable, he holds the record for most notes per second, something ridiculous like 32), but don't insult Buckethead because hes equally good and certainly better than your pasty, morbidly-obese basement dwelling ass will ever be. "

Courtesy of some guy on youtube for your entertainment.
dweezil 9

seljer wrote:he's done a pretty varied amount of stuff so it depends on what you've listened to.

some of it is downright morbid (in a good way, most of his heavier stuff), but some is a bit more accessible. Colma, Electric Tears and Population Override are all good, great albums to listening to at night. Enter the Chicken is also nice with the collobarations he did with various vocalists.
what are you talking about man? We're discussing the box set he released, not his discography.

Yeah, I might check out Peppers Ghost then, becasue whilst the improv stuff is good, it gets really boring over 13 discs. Are any of the discs purely heavy shit? Like bucketheadland vol. 2 heavy? My favorite album by him I think.
lydian2000

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher wrote:"Buckethead sucks" :lol:

"The guy can't play"

"Talentless, unoriginal & redundant" :roll:

"No skills" :lol:
In all fairness cymbal, I have rarely seen the "no skills" comments about buckethead, IMO his skills and originality speak for themselves..however I sometimes agree with the term "redundant", and everytime I ask a buckethead fan to recommand an album that would convince me I get the "everything he released"....and then I occasionally remember his guitar playing, I watch a couple of videos and I decide "hey maybe i shd buy one of his albums" and then I get overwhelmed by the zillions of albums(even difficult to track through time...never seen an official discography anywhere on the net...maybe its not even conceivable)and then I give up...and then ...and then... :P
<Mike>

I think buckethead is awesome to look at. not that I like his music cause I really don't but his style is so freakin strange that I cvan't help laughing while looking at him :lol: Anyone seen his lesson? :lol:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=86DEKFissl4

he never plays them slow even though it's a lesson heh :P
seljer

dweezil 9 wrote: what are you talking about man? We're discussing the box set he released, not his discography.
ah yeah, forgot about that :oops:
It just stayed in my head as "those 13 albums he released at once" and I thought "in search of the" meant "I can't find any other buckethead threads" :P
Ugur Dariveren

Just listen "Electric Tears" and "Colma" album. Really different Buckethead there.