Systematic Chaos

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Big Bad Bill

Well I've downloaded the first single from Dream Theater's forth-coming album and it sounds like they've re-acquired that 'fire in their belly' and it sounds good! I like DT but find they can be a bit hit and miss-in fact it seems to follow a pattern-every alternate release being great.

I hope the rest of the album lives up to 'Constant Motion'
prman

I also got excited about "Constant Motion". Then I heard "The Dark Eternal Night" and it raised serious doubts about the rest of the material on "Systematic Chaos". But that`s just me...
Big Bad Bill

You're scaring me prman! What was it about Dark Eternal Night you didn't like and where did you hear it?
<Mike>

I love dream Theater but dunno if I thought Constant Motion was that great. It's like a average Dream Theater song imo, they have other songs that are much better.
Leanne_777

Dark Eternal Night is on You Tube, I listened to about a minute of it and I loved it. I got guilty then and pictured Mike Portnoy frowning upon me for listening to a leaked song. I love Constant Motion though.
Azyiu

I am huge DT fan since 1992, and I simply cannot wait for SC to come out!

After listening to Constant Motion for days now, I am so looking forward to the rest of the album very much. That said, Constant Motion as a song is just ok, but I totally love Petrucci's phrasing during the solo!
Big Bad Bill

Leanne_777 wrote:Dark Eternal Night is on You Tube, I listened to about a minute of it and I loved it. I got guilty then and pictured Mike Portnoy frowning upon me for listening to a leaked song. I love Constant Motion though.
It makes me think wonder how these things get leaked in the first place! If I was DT I'd simply ban all cameras etc from the studio to prevent it. The fact they don't suggests they may want these little teasers out there to whet our appetites! It's made me more hungry for the the album and I'll be buying it!
Big Bad Bill

Ah, that looks like it could've been covert recording!

But.....what an incredibly scary riff! Sinister, malevolent and soooo coool!
prman

Big Bad Bill wrote:You're scaring me prman! What was it about Dark Eternal Night you didn't like and where did you hear it?
I bet you propably found the tune by yourself already. I bet most of the people will love "The Dark Eternal Night" but to me it sounds like an album filler. But that`s just me.
treeduck

I've not been impressed with either tune...

Constant Motion sounds like bad Metallica, the vocals are particularly teeth-grindingly annoying. The guitar solo is the highlight, the little bass section is interesting, but it's mostly poor...

:?
cbr1000f

A friend made me listen to the two new songs.
Indeed, Dream Theater sounds like a sophisticated, technical & very tight version of Metallica these days.
Fun for a listen but for me they added nothing new. Artistically, for a progressive rockband, repeating yourself is not exactly a good move. But to keep making a living out of music, it could be a good move.
I'm a fan since their first album came out, seen them a lot of times live and I know they were and still are a big influence for many artists & bands.
But anyway, they lost me a while ago, in fact they did when I bought Train of Tought, so I didn't buy Octavarium and I do not intend to buy this new one (and no, I won't download these albums).
notavirtuoso

Dream Theater becoming the AC/DC of progressive rock/metal/whatever silly category some bean counter puts them in? That's kind of an oxymoron in a way, but I can't say I'd complain much if that's what they do. I didn't like Octavarium that much, it was ok, but far from a ten. Favorites by them are Train of Thought and Awake.
<Mike>

I thought octavarium, the song, kicked ass though. I still think so. Imo it's a masterpiece.
Last edited by <Mike> on Sat May 05, 2007 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
treeduck

<Mike> wrote:I thought octavarium, the song, kicked ass though. I still think do. Imo it's a masterpiece.
I like the last two albums, but this...

:?
Big Bad Bill

It seems to be alternate albums that I like-Scene was a masterpiece, SDOIT was yuk, TOT was good, Octavarium induces copious vomiting in me! I'm hoping this'll be a good on, but we'll have to wait and see........