Friends or guitar??

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
-yasi-

Hey,
what is for you more important, your friends or your guitar?

I now got that problem that i wanna do more with my friends but whern i do this.. at weekend theres for guitar no more time than 2 or 3 hours a day.And that sucks, but i wanna meet my friends,too....How do you do that??
auralperception

I can not meet my friends, so this question doesn't apply for me.

Find the balance yourself, its your life. Do whatever is important to you.
Dont listen to other people that say "You must play less guitar, you are wasting your time" etc.

You could play 8 hours one weekend and 3 hours the other.
Sometimes its not possible to play much as you want (like now, when I must learn dumb exams all the time)
But you could let your friends learn instruments.. :)
<Mike>

I'm doing wightlifting in my gym I have at home with a friend three times a week. It takes up a little too much time imo it's the only time I spend with one of my friends.

I can also maybe go to a friend sometimes on saturdays or so but it rarely happens. Whenever I'm at someone I feel bad since I could be playin guitar instead.

You know, do what you feel is right.
guyver_dio

My mates and me are pretty much night owls so we don't do anything till night time, which leaves the entire day to play guitar.

You'd just have to sort it out yourself, when you guys like to do stuff, how often you guys get together, and work out a happy medium by making some changes/compromises you can live with.

Your practice time and time with friends are both extremely important. The long 8 hours a day practice sessions will not necessarily make you a good guitar player. It depends how you use your practice time. You've probably heard it a million times but 8 hours of poor practice can probably be cut down to 4 hours of actual good solid practice that is of any benefit to your progression. But also don't forget time out is just as important as the practice you put in as it'll help give things time to sink in and you'll feel much more relaxed, clear and focused when you come to practicing again. Also sitting in your house all the time will turn you into a dull person lol, and it will reflect on your music.
<Mike>

guyver_dio wrote:Also sitting in your house all the time will turn you into a dull person lol, and it will reflect on your music.
I have to disagree. Whenever I get inspiration it doesn't matter where I've been, if I've been outside or indoors doesn't matter. And also other people I know get inspiration even though they're indoors too.

You know imo it's about fantasy and imagination. I understand if ppl can get inspiration from being outside but being inside doesn't make your music worse.

Taking a walk is proved to activate your brain a lil more though so I guess that's good to do sometimes.
nickcat0

-yasi- wrote:Hey,
what is for you more important, your friends or your guitar?

I now got that problem that i wanna do more with my friends but whern i do this.. at weekend theres for guitar no more time than 2 or 3 hours a day.And that sucks, but i wanna meet my friends,too....How do you do that??
It depends on what your priorities are ?

Alex Van Halen tells stories of going out partying at 7pm , as a kid , and little Eddie would be sitting on his bed practising . Alex would come home at 3am , and Eddie would still be playing . If you want to be a " Guitar God " you've got to put in the hours .

If however you want to be a normal , rounded person , make time for your friends , but also give up the idea of being the next Vai , Gilbert or Van Halen .
guyver_dio

<Mike> wrote:
guyver_dio wrote:Also sitting in your house all the time will turn you into a dull person lol, and it will reflect on your music.
Taking a walk is proved to activate your brain a lil more though so I guess that's good to do sometimes.
Yeah that's what I was pretty much getting at. A little scenery change every now and then helps to get the gears in motion again. It also depends on different personalities too. If I'm trapped in the house too long I go mental and turn into a mindless zombie and can't think straight lol. To each their own.
auralperception

Making music creates more activity in the brain than anything else, because it needs pretty much all aspects (motoric, aural, visual)
It also causes the growth of the brain in many aspects, so making music is very healthy.

Which things take in so much time?
You could just practice 8 hours from the morning. ( 8 'till 4), 3 hours for homework and the rest for friends. I don't know how much time your need for your friends or homework. Ofcourse, if you do some activity it will take in more time than a chat
-yasi-

Mhh normal for me the guitar is the most important think... but now i ahve a boyfriend.. so i wanna spend time with him too.. yesterday we meet and i palkyed just 2 hours today the same. So when i'm with my friends i most time just feel bad caus i think now i could sit at home and practise. I'm in a fucking situation at the moment.. :-(
Normal i ahve my weekend to play about 10 hours every day. But this weekend i will juts get time for 4 hours a day :-(

Well... i hope i'm gonna find somehting which is good for my friends and for my guitar
<Mike>

girlfriends is not an option imo. They are time consuming. Friends ios neccessary cause... yeah it's good to have friends. but you don't have to see your friends as often as if you are dating someone.

Therefore guitar+girlfriend = nono

imo. At least now since this time is a crucial period for me. I have to become good at guitar playing before I enter rock school and stuff like that.
Ugur Dariveren

Both.
I'm always sitting at home but can't play more of than 1 hours anymore.
auralperception

All problems eventually get solved.
What you do with your life is up to you.
girlfriends is not an option imo. They are time consuming. Friends ios neccessary cause... yeah it's good to have friends. but you don't have to see your friends as often as if you are dating someone.
Keep in mind she is a girl ;) I have no idea about girls with girlfriend and time conserning that..
slash89

auralperception wrote:All problems eventually get solved.
What you do with your life is up to you.
Keep in mind she is a girl ;) I have no idea about girls with girlfriend and time conserning that..
My girlfriend and I have been together for 4 and a half years, and it's no big problem really. I don't sit and play the guitar loud when I'm with her (and keep in mind that we live together), but there is still plenty of time. As a matter of fact I find it ispiring having someone to love. It makes me want to play the guitar even more, and it gives my playing that extra little something. The guitar + girlfriend equation is true :)
Lotus Eater

just find some friends that play as well and start a band.
Kill two birds you know...
auralperception

My girlfriend and I have been together for 4 and a half years, and it's no big problem really. I don't sit and play the guitar loud when I'm with her (and keep in mind that we live together), but there is still plenty of time. As a matter of fact I find it ispiring having someone to love. It makes me want to play the guitar even more, and it gives my playing that extra little something. The guitar + girlfriend equation is true Smile
Depends on the girl.
You could also have girl that says
"Why you play guitar again? You only have time for guitar. Why you forget me? I thought you love me... but all you think about is guitar"

But ehm.. she is a girl with boyfriend, not a girl with girlfriend ;)