What Vai pieces can you play?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
rg350dx

erotic nightmares
giant balls of gold
for the love of god
blood and glory (haven't tried the solo yet)
eugene's trick bag (not as fast)
the audience is listening (most of it)

some of:
the attitude song
liberty
i would love to
building the church
km pee du wee
<Mike>

indeed, ftlog is one of the more easy ones. Songs like windows to the soul is much harder.

Learning juice is good though if you wanna get better at nailing harmonics. I learned it today and I have already gotten better at it imo :D

Hand on heart is quite easy and a very good song too.
guitarbonham

for whatever reason ftlog sounded really hard to me but i shall go check it out. that was about hte first vai song i heard so it immediedly sounded way harder then anything else i had ever tried and that probably stuck with me or something lol idk. thanks a lot!
funnyguy12

Im only 15 and managed to be able to play a bunch of Steve's Songs. There might be a small part im missing is some songs, but i know them.

Everything off the PAW album except Ballerina, sisters, Love secrets and Alien Water kiss.

Everythin on RI, except dying, yai yai, most of freak show, midway, secrets, and Under it all. And cant play the tapping parts on Building the church.

Giant balls of gold
Whispering a Prayer
Blood and Glory
Incanation
Die to Live
Tender surrender
Bad Horsie
Windows to the soul
The Attitude Song
Most of Hand on Heart
Bull Whip
The Reaper
The Crying Machine
Christmas Time is here
Warm Regards
Deep down into the pain
Get the Hell out of here
I know your here
A little bit of Juice

Yep, thats pretty much all i can play.

But weird how I need to have the song being played by steve to play it right. Its weird i know, but i feel confident with Steve in the Backround.
<Mike>

well... then play with backing tracks until you feel no pressure from doing it. You have to think: "I'm being so cool right now 8) " to be confident enough and then just go for it.

Also, if you play along with steve vai you might trick yourself that you are playing the right stuff while you aren't.... (not saying that you have a bad ear or anything cause I dunno about that at all)
it's just that you hear his stuff as well as your stuff and then you might play wrong without noticing or maybe doing the wrong vibratos or whatever.

Plus, if you wanna work on your own feeling, you should try to play with just backings more.
<Mike>

Btw...

Which Vai song is funniest to play you think? Also, which is the hardest?
slash89

<Mike> wrote:Btw...

Funniest: Salamanders In The Sun
Hardest: Freak Show Excess
leigh01

<Mike> wrote:Btw...

Funniest, I just have to agree with Slash89, :P

Hardest, ooooh this is tough,..........( I'm straining my little brain right now)
Ah, I think to get it as good has Vai, it has to be for me Blue Powder, just so many effects and you have to adapt the guitar parts so they sound at least similar to the harmonised bits.
<Mike>

salamanders in the sun... will check that out... 8)
Prezidentman

Man, you people are crazy! I just don't have the technique or the time to master the diffucult Vai songs...I can get through Die to Live, Ballerina and Liberty, perhaps...if I'm lucky :(
<Mike>

it seems we have a diffrent opinion on what is funny to play... Actually I get most joy from playing something that I find hard to play. If I struggle for something with like an hour and then nail it perfectly then I'm like... Super hyper happy for the rest of the week :D
And that is also what I find funny to play later too.

easy stuff... like... whispering a prayer or something is boring. I can listen to, as in this case whispering a prayer, any time and get goose skin. but playing it isn't really super funny. (unless it's in front of someone else cause then everything is funny to play)

:)
slash89

<Mike> wrote:salamanders in the sun... will check that out... 8)
You do that! It is the fourth track on the Flexable album :wink:
<Mike>

yup I listened :wink:

BTW, at what point can you say that you really know how to play a song? What I mean is that I've checked many people at youtube (great guitarists some of them) that has played songs, (vai songs), but they haven't played them correct. Even some people who have awesome gear and many years of experience plays the songs wrong.

Like for example I just recently learned juice by steve vai and it took me maybe 2 hours or more to figure exactly how he played the tapping parts. And now I checked some videos on youtube where guys played juice and so far I haven't seen anyone who has played it correct. Sure sure.. some of the dudes make it sound great anyway like gustavo guerra but it's still not correct. (not even near correct)

Prolly they've just been lazy and have just done something easier that still sounds cool but imo that's cheating :evil:
I think that if one should be able to say: "I can play this song" then one should be able to play the song and not play a fake, more simple version: cause then the person can't play the song.

Ok maybe I'm just taking this too serious... :lol:

(if they would write "slightly own cover version of this song" or something then I wouldn't care but.. hum...)

Anyway I talk too much.
slash89

<Mike> wrote:yup I listened :wink:

BTW, at what point can you say that you really know how to play a song? What I mean is that I've checked many people at youtube (great guitarists some of them) that has played songs, (vai songs), but they haven't played them correct. Even some people who have awesome gear and many years of experience plays the songs wrong.

Like for example I just recently learned juice by steve vai and it took me maybe 2 hours or more to figure exactly how he played the tapping parts. And now I checked some videos on youtube where guys played juice and so far I haven't seen anyone who has played it correct. Sure sure.. some of the dudes make it sound great anyway like gustavo guerra but it's still not correct. (not even near correct)

Prolly they've just been lazy and have just done something easier that still sounds cool but imo that's cheating :evil:
I think that if one should be able to say: "I can play this song" then one should be able to play the song and not play a fake, more simple version: cause then the person can't play the song.

Ok maybe I'm just taking this too serious... :lol:

(if they would write "slightly own cover version of this song" or something then I wouldn't care but.. hum...)

Anyway I talk too much.
I do not agree with you pal. That is because I believe that a cover version of a song should contain the essence of the song and a most important of all a new twist. Otherwise there would be nothing interesting as there would be nothing new to it. When I learn songs I learn it note for note, but when I play it over a backing track I loosen up and blend in my own fire. This is of course only my humble view..
<Mike>

hum... I understand what you mean and I guess I do it myself too but only where I find it suitable. Plus as I'm still quite a beginner on guitar I think that if I "cheat" and make everything easier where it is supposed to be hard I won't learn as much.

anyway imo it's a diffrence between a cover and when someone tries to play note per note. In most cases the people that put their videos up are trying to play note per note but still make stuff easier in the tricky parts. At least Then it is cheating :P

and then they can't say that they Can play the song... :roll:

:D