What Vai pieces can you play?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
slash89

<Mike> wrote:hum... I understand what you mean and I guess I do it myself too but only where I find it suitable. Plus as I'm still quite a beginner on guitar I think that if I "cheat" and make everything easier where it is supposed to be hard I won't learn as much.

anyway imo it's a diffrence between a cover and when someone tries to play note per note. In most cases the people that put their videos up are trying to play note per note but still make stuff easier in the tricky parts. At least Then it is cheating :P

and then they can't say that they Can play the song... :roll:

:D
I understand your point of view since you are a beginner. Discipline is an important factor if you wish to become a great guitar player, and so is improvising. When you master the art that is improvising a new world will reveal itself and bring the joy of guitar playing to a whole new level :)
<Mike>

ok I'm not That much of a beginner :) I'm 17 now and have played since I was 15 and I still don't suck even though I have a long way to go and imo everyone can always get better.

the "problem" is that I'm a perfectionist. In everything. (except when it comes to keeping my bed tidy)
I can't do anything 99% or do something I'm not totally satisfied with. It has got to be 100 % or else I feel bad about it :D

and sorry but "master the improvising".... hum... I wouldn't say anyone can master improvising. Everyone can always get better :wink:
slash89

<Mike> wrote:and sorry but "master the improvising".... hum... I wouldn't say anyone can master improvising. Everyone can always get better :wink:
Of course not, but that is what separates guitar players from good guitar players.
<Mike>

slash89 wrote:
<Mike> wrote:and sorry but "master the improvising".... hum... I wouldn't say anyone can master improvising. Everyone can always get better :wink:
Of course not, but that is what separates guitar players from good guitar players.
you saying that good guitar players have Mastered the improvising or that they can improvise good? o_O

Hopefully the second alternative :P
slash89

<Mike> wrote:
slash89 wrote:
you saying that good guitar players have Mastered the improvising or that they can improvise good? o_O

Hopefully the second alternative :P
Let me put it this way; in my humble opinion a great guitar player must know how to loosen up and improvise! Not just play the same notes over and over again..
Prezidentman

So far, the only guy I've seen play the songs pretty much flawlessly is>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FUo0U_ozQw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_AT-Vl9 ... ed&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWgbMY-s ... ed&search=

If it's true that he figures all this stuff by ear, as he states, he's bloody amazing!

And there's definitely a difference between doing a cover version of a song and playing it note-for-note. I'm not really interested if someone plays a song sort of like the original, if he can actually get through the song the way it was meant to be played, then Im impressed.
<Mike>

ok slash I totally understand you :D no worries man :) thisi discussion will lead to nowhere heh...

I guess I agree with what you are saying.

And Mr President: indeed cesar huesca rocks.
slash89

Phew.. Good :) :lol:
leigh01

Yo <Mike> you said by funniest to play you mean't enjoyable right,
well I'm learning at the moment Boston Rain Melody, you should also give it a try, it's easy but has one or two bits where you have to put effort in and it's just very enjoyable, of course though it's only enjoyable if you like the track.

Happy Jammin. :)
Animal 06

...none :oops:

havent played vai in a while
<Mike>

I can already play boston rain melody. (I mentioned it in my long post on the first page). And I guess I meant enjoyable sorry :)

it's a cool song. I love to play the fast sliding thing in the middle of the guitar solo 8)
leigh01

<Mike> wrote:I can already play boston rain melody. (I mentioned it in my long post on the first page). And I guess I meant enjoyable sorry :)

it's a cool song. I love to play the fast sliding thing in the middle of the guitar solo 8)
Oh yeah, so you did :oops:

Well how about Lotus Feet or Dyin' Day,
Lotus feet is really easy but Beatiful therefore making it fun,
and Dyin' Day is also Moderatly easy and cool and fun. :)
<Mike>

As I said, enjoyable and funny = advanced and hard. :)

I will learn freak show excess now. It seems to be tricky, I hope it is! 8)
slash89

<Mike> wrote:As I said, enjoyable and funny = advanced and hard. :)

I will learn freak show excess now. It seems to be tricky, I hope it is! 8)
Do that! This is the hardest Vai song I've ever tried to learn, but I wish you the best of luck :) Please tell me if you find the correct way of playing the section after this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27nENGhCrI8
catscratchfever

hi guys, im just about to be 16, and ive been playing since i was 14,
i can play....
dyin day,
for the love of god(mostly, i dont have a wah pedal, so that kind of screws it up but......)
k'm-pee-du-wee,
and tender surrender(once again, no wah, so it sounds a little messy round the end)
im currently working on the g3 denver song i know you're here, im doing the beginning solo too,(at least all the regular guitar part of it).....i've got a long way to go :roll: