What Vai pieces can you play?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Phil_b

I was just wondering what Steve Vai pieces everyone could play.

Ill start it off.

I can play

Juice
Tender Surrender
Shy Boy
Giant Balls of Gold
Sisters
The Audience is Listening
I'm The Hell Outta here
For the Love of God
Die to Live
The Crying Machine
Answers ending solo from 1st G3 dvd
Building the Church

and now learning

The Reaper
slash89

Let me know next time you're in Norway Phil :lol: Let's jam 8)

Salamanders In The Sun
The Reaper
For The Love Of God
I Would Love To
I'm The Hell Out Of Here
Shy Boy (I know it's DLR)
Building The Church
Bad Horsie (I improvise a lot when I play this)
Liberty
Tender Surrender
+ Licks from other songs.

Now learning:
Freak Show Excess (Here is what I have managed so far. http://vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21852)
Final Guitar Solo
<Mike>

sorry but to say "can play" is a bit wrong imo. It is a diffrence between playing a song and Really playing a song. I've seen guys on youtube nailing tender surrender, for the love of god, etc, quite well but it has still sounded like crap cause they've had no emotion in their playing... :roll:

when it comes to me I don't really know exactly how it sounds when I play. I have never recorded myself playing so I can't judge my playing. And my guitar amp sucks ass too. when I have distortion it sounds: "BRRRRRRR" really load.... (it's broke)

But I think that I can play quite good anyway. At least other people thinks so so I hope so heh...

But anyway songs I can play without making any technical mistakes (and I have a good ear so I know I'm playing the right stuff at least) are tender surrender, boston rain melody, christmas time is here, windows to the soul, for the love of god and hand on heart from steve vai. And I have learned those within the last month. Currently learning... I dunno... Maybe I'll learn juice today :)

(I am 17 and has played since I was 15. I've spend most of the time writing songs... mostly rpg game songs heh... and has focused more on my playing since it got brigher again cause I suffer from winter depression. I am addicted to sunlight very much so during winters I have zero energy)

anyway I will get my new amp within prolly a month (legacy combo vl212 8) ) and then I'll record some of my guitar playing and put it on youtube for all you guys to see and like or dislike :)

edit: learned juice. Still don't nail all the harmonics every time when I play it yet but by tomorrow it shouldn't be a problem.
Last edited by <Mike> on Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Booligan

Shy Boy
For the love of God (i always improvise the solo, what´s the point in copying someone elses improvisation?)
Just like paradise
The crying machine
The Animal
Some parts of Freak show excess and a bunch of other songs (some riffs or licks)
leigh01

cool, thread i've always been interested to find out what Vai tunes people are playing,

Bangkok + Firegarden suite,
Warm Regards,
The Audiance is listening,
Tender Surrender,
Liberty,
Blue Powder,
Building The Church,
Lotus Feet,
Dyin' Day,
The ultra zone (to an extent)
Frank,
Jibbom,(have I mispelt this?)
Hand on Heart,
Answers,
Windows To The Soul,(first Vai I ever Learn't)
Shyboy,
I'm the Hell Out Of here,
The Blood And Tears,(also to an extent)

Wow, when writing them down you suddenly realise, hey I do know quite
a few, :lol:

Now Learning None, Trying to compose my own but failing Miserably. :oops:

No wait I'm just now trying to learn "Boston Rain Melody".
Last edited by leigh01 on Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
davidparis

For the Love of God
The Crying Machine
The Animal
Shyboy
Answers (including g3 end solo)

loads of licks..

NB eh?! conisdering i've been playing for 2 and a half yrs
<Mike>

could be good, could be bad. depends on how it really sounds when you play em :wink:

how come everyone seems to like building the church btw? I hate it :lol:

or well not hate it but I dislike it a lot... I dunno why... :P
leigh01

<Mike> wrote:could be good, could be bad. depends on how it really sounds when you play em :wink:

how come everyone seems to like building the church btw? I hate it :lol:

or well not hate it but I dislike it a lot... I dunno why... :P
I just like realy the begging, because mainly a different tapping technique to learn.
Phil_b

aswell as the reaper i am also transcribing a piece by Guthrie Govan called waves and its bloody hard. but they pretty much take up my days
guitarbonham

so here are my songs

the audience is listening

buiding the church (timing issues and a few technical problems with the first solo and i suck at the tapping solo.... haven't worked on that near enough.)

juice (just started this a week ago. havne't had much time so right now i only have half memorized and its not very clean)

otherwise i know bits and pieces of a few other songs. i dont' think im doing too bad. ive only been playin a year and a half. what are some songs you guys would recommend that aren't too terribly hard? all the vai songs ive learned so far are probably a bit over my playing ability so i spend way too long learning them. any recommendations for easier vai songs?
guyver_dio

Die to Live
Bad Horsie
Shy Boy
Lotus Feet
Tender Surrender
eareshel

My list is a little short since I altso know some John Petrucci and DT. Plus I improvise alot.
I do, however, know these two pieces.
Juice and Building the Church.
And I know parts from countless more xD
ears1991

Id like to see someones jibboom cover (Y)
Shredded Heat

I'm not that good (my practice régime has gone to the dogs since I moved house a few months ago), but I can play sizeable chunks of the following:

Die to Live
Hand on Heart
Answers
The Crying Machine
Eugene's Trick Bag
For the Love of God
K'm Pee du Wee
Sisters
Fever Dream
Frank
Blood and Glory
Gian Balls of Gold
Bad Horsie
davidparis

guitarbonham wrote:so here are my songs

the audience is listening

buiding the church (timing issues and a few technical problems with the first solo and i suck at the tapping solo.... haven't worked on that near enough.)

juice (just started this a week ago. havne't had much time so right now i only have half memorized and its not very clean)

otherwise i know bits and pieces of a few other songs. i dont' think im doing too bad. ive only been playin a year and a half. what are some songs you guys would recommend that aren't too terribly hard? all the vai songs ive learned so far are probably a bit over my playing ability so i spend way too long learning them. any recommendations for easier vai songs?
I found For The Love Of God quite easy, the fast bit may need some practice though, and the animal isn't too bad.