Dream Theater - Score

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
DiMarzio

Hey everyone! What do you guys think about the DT score dvd? I bought it this weekend, and i think its fantastic! Really great preformance as usual, but also great song selection! Best DT live dvd imho. 8)
j.arledge

DiMarzio wrote:Hey everyone! What do you guys think about the DT score dvd? I bought it this weekend, and i think its fantastic! Really great preformance as usual, but also great song selection! Best DT live dvd imho. 8)
hells yeah , i got it about a week after it came out , best money i have spent in awhile .
Stephen Brown

Well worth the money!!! I was a bit shocked by the mix but it's cool now.(not trying to be funny) Compared with Bud? I like bud@kan more myself.
Animal 06

awesome DVD!! watch it all the time

Ani's favourite picks (he he):
Another Won (great to see a Majesty track in there!!)
Raise the Knife (man this song kicks ass....best guitar tone :D)
resha

I really love it!

I've read some bad reviews about its audio through the web, but since I haven't got a professional audio system nor a home theater I sincerely didn't notice nothing bad... :roll:

Anyway I like it and th ose guys seem always better than before... 8)
Sweepinchord

I liked it, awesome performance with the orchestra. Allthough some of the oldies up there seemed to hate DT there was this one metal dude on a violin, made me laugh like cheese when he made the bullsign in the middle of the concert.
Petrucci kinda looked like Hetfield on the VID o0
eareshel

The vocals are autopitched.
j.arledge

Sweepinchord wrote:I liked it, awesome performance with the orchestra. Allthough some of the oldies up there seemed to hate DT there was this one metal dude on a violin, made me laugh like cheese when he made the bullsign in the middle of the concert.
Petrucci kinda looked like Hetfield on the VID o0
i dont think petrucci looked like hetfield but damn he looks ripped , watch the g-3 dvd and then the score dvd. i dont know if he was his own tech and had to haul all his mesa gear around or what but he got buff.
Gulliver

eareshel wrote:The vocals are autopitched.

:?: :?
Animal 06

pity your posts arent autopitched.

yea i really dunno what that means ha ha
lydian2000

what he meant is that the voice has been corrected in post-production with something(some software) like auto-tune to correct the pitch= meaning the singer sung so wrong they had to do it, i havent bought nor seen the dvd but i have already seen that comment many times on these boards and on youtube, and to be honest if this is true i would find that incredibly disappointing from such a band to have to do that.
Seraphim

When I have meet James, his voice seems not to be auto-pitched when he spoked to me 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:
GuitarStrings

James seems to get better and better tour after tour, in the last 3 concerts I went, he seemed like a GOD on stage, not even ONE imperfection that was that much noticable(while his 97-99 period was to forget... listen to "Once In a Live Time"... nahhh you better not.).

BUT I agree with "eareshel", I've been suspecting that the vocals on Score have been pitch-corrected too. After all, with today's technology, that is TOO easy to do.
But on the other hand, who wants the vocals on such a masterpiece like Score to be out of tune(even very very slightly?)
Dream Theater are perfectionists, just like Vai is, just like Satriani is, just like every really talented artist is. I really enjoy watching a PERFECT concert DVD, and hate to watch a completely unedited dvd with imperfections which ruin the highlights.
If a certain artist wants his own work to be presented in a certain way, what's wrong with editing and correcting? After all, a concert DVD is for your visual and audio enjoyment, it's not there to proof that one band never miss a note when playing/singing live.

I can't say that Score is the BEST musical DVD in the history(for ME it is), but I can certainly say that it's the MOST AMBITIOUS musical DVD in the history under every aspect.
Sweepinchord

I cant stand his voice, pitched or not, its ghey.
Gulliver

lydian2000 wrote:what he meant is that the voice has been corrected in post-production with something(some software) like auto-tune to correct the pitch= meaning the singer sung so wrong they had to do it, i havent bought nor seen the dvd but i have already seen that comment many times on these boards and on youtube, and to be honest if this is true i would find that incredibly disappointing from such a band to have to do that.
I know what he meant. I also watched the DVD several times already and so far LaBrie's vocals sounded very natural to my ears. I am quite good at picking up artificial pitch correction, believe me. ;)
I think it's his best performance captured on DVD to date. Great job, James! :D
Last edited by Gulliver on Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.