Dream Theater - Score

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
DiMarzio
Member
Member
Posts: 377
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:20 pm

Hey everyone! What do you guys think about the DT score dvd? I bought it this weekend, and i think its fantastic! Really great preformance as usual, but also great song selection! Best DT live dvd imho. 8)
j.arledge
Member
Member
Posts: 1494
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:38 am

DiMarzio wrote:Hey everyone! What do you guys think about the DT score dvd? I bought it this weekend, and i think its fantastic! Really great preformance as usual, but also great song selection! Best DT live dvd imho. 8)
hells yeah , i got it about a week after it came out , best money i have spent in awhile .
Stephen Brown
Member
Member
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:04 am

Well worth the money!!! I was a bit shocked by the mix but it's cool now.(not trying to be funny) Compared with Bud? I like bud@kan more myself.
Animal 06
Member
Member
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:59 pm

awesome DVD!! watch it all the time

Ani's favourite picks (he he):
Another Won (great to see a Majesty track in there!!)
Raise the Knife (man this song kicks ass....best guitar tone :D)
User avatar
resha
Member
Member
Posts: 3008
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:09 am

I really love it!

I've read some bad reviews about its audio through the web, but since I haven't got a professional audio system nor a home theater I sincerely didn't notice nothing bad... :roll:

Anyway I like it and th ose guys seem always better than before... 8)
Sweepinchord
Member
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:32 am

I liked it, awesome performance with the orchestra. Allthough some of the oldies up there seemed to hate DT there was this one metal dude on a violin, made me laugh like cheese when he made the bullsign in the middle of the concert.
Petrucci kinda looked like Hetfield on the VID o0
eareshel
Member
Member
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:29 pm

The vocals are autopitched.
j.arledge
Member
Member
Posts: 1494
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:38 am

Sweepinchord wrote:I liked it, awesome performance with the orchestra. Allthough some of the oldies up there seemed to hate DT there was this one metal dude on a violin, made me laugh like cheese when he made the bullsign in the middle of the concert.
Petrucci kinda looked like Hetfield on the VID o0
i dont think petrucci looked like hetfield but damn he looks ripped , watch the g-3 dvd and then the score dvd. i dont know if he was his own tech and had to haul all his mesa gear around or what but he got buff.
Gulliver
Member
Member
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:33 pm

eareshel wrote:The vocals are autopitched.


:?: :?
Animal 06
Member
Member
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:59 pm

eareshel wrote:The vocals are autopitched.
pity your posts arent autopitched.

yea i really dunno what that means ha ha
User avatar
lydian2000
Member
Member
Posts: 1508
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:43 am

what he meant is that the voice has been corrected in post-production with something(some software) like auto-tune to correct the pitch= meaning the singer sung so wrong they had to do it, i havent bought nor seen the dvd but i have already seen that comment many times on these boards and on youtube, and to be honest if this is true i would find that incredibly disappointing from such a band to have to do that.
User avatar
Seraphim
Member
Member
Posts: 1832
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:16 pm

When I have meet James, his voice seems not to be auto-pitched when he spoked to me 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:
GuitarStrings
Member
Member
Posts: 795
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:05 pm

eareshel wrote:The vocals are autopitched.
James seems to get better and better tour after tour, in the last 3 concerts I went, he seemed like a GOD on stage, not even ONE imperfection that was that much noticable(while his 97-99 period was to forget... listen to "Once In a Live Time"... nahhh you better not.).

BUT I agree with "eareshel", I've been suspecting that the vocals on Score have been pitch-corrected too. After all, with today's technology, that is TOO easy to do.
But on the other hand, who wants the vocals on such a masterpiece like Score to be out of tune(even very very slightly?)
Dream Theater are perfectionists, just like Vai is, just like Satriani is, just like every really talented artist is. I really enjoy watching a PERFECT concert DVD, and hate to watch a completely unedited dvd with imperfections which ruin the highlights.
If a certain artist wants his own work to be presented in a certain way, what's wrong with editing and correcting? After all, a concert DVD is for your visual and audio enjoyment, it's not there to proof that one band never miss a note when playing/singing live.

I can't say that Score is the BEST musical DVD in the history(for ME it is), but I can certainly say that it's the MOST AMBITIOUS musical DVD in the history under every aspect.
Sweepinchord
Member
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:32 am

I cant stand his voice, pitched or not, its ghey.
Gulliver
Member
Member
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:33 pm

lydian2000 wrote:what he meant is that the voice has been corrected in post-production with something(some software) like auto-tune to correct the pitch= meaning the singer sung so wrong they had to do it, i havent bought nor seen the dvd but i have already seen that comment many times on these boards and on youtube, and to be honest if this is true i would find that incredibly disappointing from such a band to have to do that.
I know what he meant. I also watched the DVD several times already and so far LaBrie's vocals sounded very natural to my ears. I am quite good at picking up artificial pitch correction, believe me. ;)
I think it's his best performance captured on DVD to date. Great job, James! :D
Last edited by Gulliver on Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply