Ideas for a band name

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Razor_Ninja
Newcomer

Howdy.

Firstly, I sincerely hope I haven't broken any rules by making this topic due to something like the nature of the topic being frowned upon, or posting the topic in the wrong section.

Ok, so my friends and I are getting a band together and we just can not think of a name. Believe me, we've tried. We've written down literally hundreds of ideas. Some of which we really like, but don't work as a band name. The bright side of this being we have about 2000 albums worth of song titles if we ever get anywhere :)

I'm not saying "NAME MY BAND!!". I know how annoying it can be with impatient forum noobs. I'm just asking if anyone wants to try their creativity :P

So I guess you need to know about the music, right?

Well, I'm the Vai worshipper of the group, but I've got the other guys to listen to the sheer divinity that is Steve's music and they definitely appreciate it. So Steve is my main influence. I also LOVE Dream Theater, Petrucci especially. Paul Gilbert, I'm also a massive fan. I also love Yngwie (I don't want to start any trouble :P) and T-mac and Dimebag and Zakk Wylde, Jason Becker etc, the usual suspects :P . I am also a massive Megadeth fan (Friedman rules! Cacophony was just... wow...) and DEFINITELY a fan of power metal. Think Stratovarius, Hammerfall, Sonata Arctica and even Iron Maiden (I consider them Power Metal, although I'm sure a lot will disagree) etc. And to a lesser extent, Dragonforce.

The other guitarist is a Pantera and Dream Theater fan, and I'm getting him in to Steve.

The Vocalist/Bassist shares basically all of my influences, but he also loves oldschool heavy metal and hair metal. Think Motorhead and KISS. Which I like too.

The keyboardist, Dream Theater (There is totally a pattern here :P) and all the other prog gods you would expect a keyboardist to like, as well as being a massive classical fan, which rocks, coz so am I.

And so it goes.

The common ground with the stuff we have been writing (mostly my writing) seems to be Stratovarius style power metal. That's a direction we are all very comfortable with, but with smatterings of all these other influences I have stated. Virtuostic prog thrash power neo classical, perhaps? :P

But if anybody has some ideas for names, that would be brilliant :D

And sorry for the massive post. I can get VERY easily carried away when talking about music that I love :P
-yasi-

Illusion

or...... the Cors ;-)
treeduck

Sabre
SPQR

Tone rangers lol :lol:
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

Spectrum
treeduck

Dr Stinkin Sponge Feet

Frankenstein Blow-Torch

Mama Moon Pie

:lol:

Professor Pickleberry's Lug Nuts :lol:

Diazepam Neo-Aliens (DNA) :?
axeman31390

ooh i like that one cymbal!

:mrgreen:
Cleggy

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher wrote::mrgreen:
^ Thats the best, have a symbol, not a name
Bababoey

Cleggy2005 wrote:
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher wrote::mrgreen:
^ Thats the best, have a symbol, not a name
like prince....

i have this idea for a name....The Breed.
Azyiu

Well then, just simply call it Dream Theatre then. :P

Seriously, what kind of subject matter you plan to talk about in your music? You can base your band name on what you want to talk about most of the time... or loosely tie it to an idea you believe in.
Razor_Ninja
Newcomer

lol Spectrum has totally been done. They were some one hit wonder band from the 70's. Not a bad song either :P

As for subject matter, well we don't really hate our parents etc :P So the subject matter is more likely to either be fantasy type power metal stuff or perhaps Iced Earth stuff about massive battles etc. Basically anything fantasy or just really epic. I also love all that Stratovarius style stuff that just has that really uplifting "I'm who I am and you can't do anything to stop me from being me" sorta thing :P And obviously, Steve's lyrics are just genius. I like his really deep, spiritual and philosophical outlook.

I could post some lyrics and stuff we have been working on. Perhaps some of the name ideas that we like. But my friend has the big folder they are all written in :P I'll try and post some later.

And thanks for the ideas so far. Me likey likey :P
Bababoey

you should call your band razor ninja. seeing how your screen name would be already made and no one could pretend to be you.