what do you think about michael angelo?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

To suggest he's not worth listening to is pretty harsh & unfair to him, he deserves at least an honorable mention. I don't have his new one, Holiday Strings, C4 or 25 Jazz Progressions, but I think these are pretty cool songs by MAB.

No Boundaries (I like this one the most out of the 3, imo the entire cd is pretty cool):
Rain Forest
Science Fiction
Peace
I Do For You
The Jam Game
2X Again
No Boundaries
Outsideinside

Planet Gemini:
Planet Gemini
Far Reaches of Space
Across Our Universe
No Boundaries Pt. 2: Jam Game
So Much To Live For
Time Traveller

Tradition:
China
The Finish Line
Prog
I Can't Take It No More
Prog Revisited
Voices of The Distant Past
VRT: Song Three

As for Paul Gilbert, dude is awesome, & Racer X has some great songs, & so does Paul, but they & he also have some songs that I think are very weak in the songwriting department.

Weak songs with guitar pyrotechnics = Showcase song...

...so, to some extent, the same can be said about Paul that's being said about MAB. Believe me, I'd much rather listen to Racer X or Paul's stuff instead of MAB, but Paul's sometimes guilty of the same thing that MAB is when it comes to cool guitar in weak songs.

I know what's coming next! :wink: :mrgreen: :lol:
another virtuoso

Michael Angelo Batio
n.
1. One who shreds as fast as humanly possible, with one or both hands, while occasionally performing uncommon stunts and tricks with little to no real song writing.
2. One who relies solely on speed at the expense of feeling or originality.
cioran

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher wrote: As for Paul Gilbert, dude is awesome, & Racer X has some great songs, & so does Paul, but they & he also have some songs that I think are very weak in the songwriting department.

Weak songs with guitar pyrotechnics = Showcase song...

...so, to some extent, the same can be said about Paul that's being said about MAB. Believe me, I'd much rather listen to Racer X or Paul's stuff instead of MAB, but Paul's sometimes guilty of the same thing that MAB is when it comes to cool guitar in weak songs.

I know what's coming next! :wink: :mrgreen: :lol:
Maybe I'll beat a few hostiles to the scene, and agree with you. The combination of sometimes pretty shabby songwriting and that godawful singer made Racer X far less than they could be. But, hey, at least Scott Travis got the chance to rejuvenate the Priest. Shame about the new album, though....
Hey, now we'll both have new enemies! 8)

:lol: Just telling it like I perceive it. I mean Paul is great & I think he's a far better guitarist than MAB, esp. in terms of melody, phrasing etc... but even he's just showing off in some of those "mediocre-at-best pyrotechnic guitar wizardry songs" he's done. :lol: :guitar :peace
feratu

I think he's overrated as the "fastest guitarist". Most of what he plays came from the Paul Gilbert video anyway. If I hear him playing those ascending sextuplets one more time I'm gonna choke him (you can hear that lick on Prince's album from about 1979 BTW. Prince...father of shred, originator of THE LICK!)! And he's still nowhere near Malmsteen technique-wise (really no one is, not Impelitteri, not Moore, not Cooley...no one). He's just not nearly as clean. Plus Malmsteen did it without the benefit of his own playing to copy lol. :P ....but he did put out the same album 26 times in 15 years lol.

As far as his music goes, at times its actually pretty decent guitar rock. But then comes THE SOLO, and THE SOLO, and THE SAME SOLO AGAIN! :wink:

And as far as him being able to shred Frank Gambale, that is totally ludicrous. Gambale has far cleaner/more seamless technique and plays MUCH more difficult stuff that is also more musical. I've never heard anything on Michael Angelo's videos to convince me he's technically superior to any of the standard shred guys. Ambidexterity? Who cares. Thats nothing but a parlor trick. Two necks? That'd be great if he did anything groundbreaking and/or creative. Instead he lifts the guitar in the air while looking orgasmic.

Jim Gillette's singing however? All I can say is WOW! :D :wink:
Last edited by feratu on Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yngwie's great, seen him 3 times, have almost all his music, but his playing does get somewhat redundant after awhile, & even the great Yngwie Malmsteen has some "mediocre-at-best pyrotechnic guitar wizardy songs" he's done. Imo, he actually has some albums that, on the whole, aren't very good. Sure, the guitar playing is great, but the songs are weak on some of his albums, & that's cool, you can't hit a home run every time. :mrgreen:
feratu

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher wrote:Yngwie's great, seen him 3 times, have almost all his music, but his playing does get somewhat redundant after awhile, & even the great Yngwie Malmsteen has some "mediocre-at-best pyrotechnic guitar wizardy songs" he's done. Imo, he actually has some albums that, on the whole, aren't very good. Sure, the guitar playing is great, but the songs are weak on some of his albums, & that's cool, you can't hit a home run every time. :mrgreen:
True. But on the strength of Rising Force alone, Malmsteen totally buries everything that has come before or since in the realm of what came to be known as "shred". And regardless of what anyone says, the compositions on that album are brilliantly written, and prove he has/had great songwriting chops. BTW I don't lump Vai into the shred category at all, his playing/music means so much more than that. A lot of his stuff just can not be played by anyone other than himself (Kineally/MacAlpine trying to play The Attitude Song jumps to mind).

Oh man, Yngwie's first 3 records are his best imo, & I don't tire of listening to those ones at all. Those were the 3 tours I seen too. :shock: :guitar :headbang

Eclipse & Facing the Animal are pretty good.

".. on the strength of Rising Force alone, Malmsteen totally buries everything that has come before or since in the realm of what came to be known as "shred." "

Imo, that's a bit of a stretch, & maybe even a downright exaggeration. Just as an example & because I'm also a huge Buckethead fan, & if you haven't already, listen to Big B's shred stuff, that might change your mind about that. :wink: :guitar
feratu

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher wrote:".. on the strength of Rising Force alone, Malmsteen totally buries everything that has come before or since in the realm of what came to be known as "shred." "

Imo, that's a bit of a stretch, & maybe even a downright exaggeration. Just as an example & because I'm also a huge Buckethead fan, & if you haven't already, listen to Big B's shred stuff, that might change your mind about that. :wink: :guitar
I've heard plenty of Buckethead, saw him last weekend at Wakarusa...and solo...and with Primus. Buckethead better than Malmsteen? Now thats a stretch.... :wink: But he does play some pretty weird and cool stuff sometimes. And I don't know if you've read his guitar player columns, but they're freakin hilarious!!!!

I didn't say he was "better," but I am saying that imo, there's absolutely nothing by Yngwie that "totally buries" Big B.

Wakarusa huh!?, damn I envy you. I wanted to go sooooo bad. At least I caught the Cleveland & Detroit shows. :guitar :guitar The guy is something else, really man, I've never seen or heard anyone quite like Buckethead, & I absolutely love his music. I could, & sometimes do, listen to Buckethead's music all day. :mrgreen: