what do you think about michael angelo?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
the_west_pig

I think the point is that while he is a very talented payer, his music sounds like technical exercizes. It's lacking in the originality department.

I do however have the utmost respect for the man as he can play better then pretty much 99% of guitarists in both left and right handed playing stance which he must have worked hard for, so in that respect he's awesome.

Also, he has perfected the rock pout.

Playing ability aside, i've listened to 5 or 6 songs of his all the way through and it was just mindless forgettable drivvle. It was so forgettable that i forgot how they go. That's pretty forgettable.

EyesOfFire0221:

Vai Forum is inevitably going to have shredders, but when you compare Vai with Batio, you find insane speed in both, but you only find real melodic diversity in Vai. It's basically saying, sure its cool that you can play that fast, but why waste it by not trying to break any moulds or boundaries and do something special?
Gerco

Yesterday I was at a clinic he did in Zwolle (The Netherlands). He's a cool and funny guy.
He did crazy things on the guitar. He explained some things about his playing style and about his double-neck and talked about Vai´s heart-guitar.
One thing he said about Vai was: "Steve Vai rules." (I totally agree :D )

Here´s a video of Michael Angelo Batio playing Ibanez Jem guitar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecxaGuH8Os8
acoates

I don't have a problem with the guy. He produces some stuff I don't like and other stuff I love.
Guitarmiester

EyesOfFire0221 - I really never 'bash' any guitarists, I just said the whole X guitar thing is LAME (I'd go on about how stupid it is, but I'd be wasting my own time). He's a great shredder, without a doubt, and yes, I am a fan of shredding. Just don't find his shredding too interesting, and that X guitar gimic!
andre_f

I think he's a show off and musically very boring.

Andre
IWillShredU
Newcomer

I have met Angelo and listened to him up close, and know everything he can do. Vai has met him, Vai knows what he can do also, trust me. Angelo can flat out shred anybody in the world, even Frank Gambale. Of course, I am not saying technical ability is the most important thing or that it means quality, but he is definitely the king of shred, nobody is close. Nobody is as ambidextrous as he is. He is more versatile than you think, you just have to hear him play jazz and fusion to realize it. But, he has been a total dissapointment because he never puts out any music that is worth a shit. His releases never showcase his true ability. He turns himself into a caricature, like he is trying to make fun of himself and his considerable abilities. I don't understand it all. He is too good to play garbage like he did in Nitro, which flat out sucked, but he thought it was the shit. He needs to focus more on composition and phrasing, like Vai does, and maybe hold back more. Vai never shows you his full technical ability, on purpose. Vai will tease you with an impossible lick and then back off. If Angelo would do this, and I know he can, because I have watched him do it, there would be no problem.
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

Yeah, I'm of the belief that MAB is better than most people think he is, it's just that he's not proficient at writing "great" songs. That being said, I do think he has some "good" songs though.
Tayhan

Speed isn´t anything without the emotion!
And as long as he´s not able to write good music instead of sensless shredd rubbish I personaly won´t accept his master degree as long as he can´t really proove his abilities to write music (instead of senseless! shred).
He may be a good musician (I don´t know) but he should proove it. So all in all I think he´s just a poser with his Hypersenseless speed and X-guitars and his hand changing positions and all that stuff...
xxxYNGWIExxx

Gerco wrote:Yesterday I was at a clinic he did in Zwolle (The Netherlands). He's a cool and funny guy.
He did crazy things on the guitar. He explained some things about his playing style and about his double-neck and talked about Vai´s heart-guitar.

WOW that video is Cool AS Shit.
Yea but i like MAB's guitar playing alot, Im very picky with my music but i still like a few songs from Batio, anyony here ever heard Prog? Here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl7N150HuQY
Last edited by xxxYNGWIExxx on Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wolf

xxxYNGWIExxx wrote:
Gerco wrote:Yesterday I was at a clinic he did in Zwolle (The Netherlands). He's a cool and funny guy.

WOW that video is Cool AS Shit.
Yea but i like MAB's guitar playing alot, Im very picky with my music but i still like a few songs from Batio, anyony here ever heard Prog? Here it is
ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl7N150HuQY
Man! both those videos rock! Whenever I see him play (in videos) I always wonder how many chicks are in the audience. Because it's not like he has any sort of sexy image, he has more of an 80s washout image. but yeah. he can play really fast.
cioran

Gerco wrote: Here´s a video of Michael Angelo Batio playing Ibanez Jem guitar:
Really says it all, doesn't it? Take a dumb, meaningless riff and repeat for about a minute. Take another, and repeat for another minute. Hell, we're halfway into the "song" before he brings out the real shred - and yes, it's impressive - but then he has to return to that bl**dy riff for another four or eight repeats.
I've heard MAB play some really lame music, but this was the worst ever.

If, as has been argued, he simply doesn't realize what a lousy songwriter he is, then how on earth did he get that music masters?

I could go on, but it's been said above. Petrucci, all is forgiven.
OU812Manny

That is a medley of a couple of songs. The first riff is from his tune Rain Forest. It is a great song. The second is an instrumental version of one of his earlier vocal tunes called Call to Arms. I think this senseless bashing of MAB is ridiculous. The guy played over the neck faster and cleaner than most people can play normally on this video. He is super smooth live and the riffs were cool.
cioran

OU812Manny wrote:That is a medley of a couple of songs. The first riff is from his tune Rain Forest. It is a great song. The second is an instrumental version of one of his earlier vocal tunes called Call to Arms. I think this senseless bashing of MAB is ridiculous. The guy played over the neck faster and cleaner than most people can play normally on this video. He is super smooth live and the riffs were cool.
If that's a medley it really goes to show he has no clue where songwriting is concerned. I agree that he is a skilled shredder, nice and clean, but I think the reason MAB gets bashed so often on this forum (other than as a circus-style entertainer) is that here we are mainly interested in music as well as chops.

That said, I should have kept my trap shut; tastes will always vary and I didn't exactly help the tone of this thread.
Kind of a lousy day yesterday - I'm afraid spreading a bad mood helps a bit, but I'll try and keep it to myself in future.
godin rocks

I think that he' got a whole bunch of neat tricks, but I can't listen to an audio track. Maybe I just haven't found a good song, anyone want to give any names of his good songs?

Peace
Guitarmiester

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather hear good music or something that can keep my attention over "a whole bunch of neat tricks." If I want to hear someone that can play at fast and very accurate and worth listening to, I'll either pick up one of my Racer X CD's or one of Paul Gilbert's solo albums.