Opeth

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
j1mi_h3ndrix

Opeth

#1 Post by j1mi_h3ndrix » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:56 pm

i <3 them, and their death metal progresive goodness

http://www.myspace.com/opeth

ultrazone_seeker

#2 Post by ultrazone_seeker » Mon May 01, 2006 2:31 am

they were here in Brisbane last week. :) i have to say, and this is only my personal opinion, but i think the show was actually better than the Lamentations dvd. Akerfeldt didn't seem so damn nervous like in that show at any rate, and he was really laid back, even funny, between songs. i can only paraphrase (very badly), but let's see how many gems i can remember...

"Hey, can you guys do me a favour? It's our monitor engineer's birthday today, you see... We don't really like him, and you don't really give a fuck who he is, so I was just wondering if you could sing him "happy birthday". His name's Jeff the Cunt."

"So, how many of you like our new album? [crowd cheers] That's good - proves you're not retarded."

"I remember back when we did our first album... back then we were kind of a mixture of death metal, proggy shit and um, hip hop... That was my big dream then, just to get that album out - and it's still our dream, we're still just bums dreaming of putting out one more album."

"I have to let you in on a little secret: we've sold out. We used to care about the music, but now all we give a shit about is money, drugs and tits... we're actually all getting implants for that very reason."

"This is going to be the last time we come here in a while." [crowd booes] "Well unless you want us back, that is..." [crowd cheers]

great show. :D

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

OPETH

#3 Post by CymbalSplittingSkinbasher » Mon May 01, 2006 5:19 am

Yeah, they're great! Very powerful live band! :shock: :headbang :peace

Seitekifu
Newcomer

#4 Post by Seitekifu » Mon May 01, 2006 10:01 am

I agree, one great band!

esimguitar

#5 Post by esimguitar » Tue May 02, 2006 9:27 am

I love Opeth so much, Damnnation is an awesome album!

LukeB

#6 Post by LukeB » Wed May 03, 2006 7:40 am

Yeah Opeth is tight, I love them.

What is everyone's favorite song/album?

Mine's The Leper Affinity/Blackwater Park.

treeduck

#7 Post by treeduck » Wed May 03, 2006 10:13 am

I've just ordered a couple of these guy's albums, Ghost Reveries and Blackwater Park they sound really good...

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

DAMNATION & BEFORE

#8 Post by CymbalSplittingSkinbasher » Wed May 03, 2006 10:32 am

Excellent choices tree, imo, they're both masterpieces. If you haven't already, check out Damnation. It's their mellow side for the entire album, no crunchy guitars, no death vocals, just pure listening bliss!!! :wink: 8) :peace

Still Life & Deliverance are awesome too, & My Arms, Your Hearse ain't bad at all either. Anything before MAYH is a little bit less "accessible," but even with their early stuff there's still quite a few gems to be found. Great band, both in studio & live.

treeduck

Re: DAMNATION & BEFORE

#9 Post by treeduck » Wed May 03, 2006 12:07 pm

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher wrote:Excellent choices tree, imo, they're both masterpieces. If you haven't already, check out Damnation. It's their mellow side for the entire album, no crunchy guitars, no death vocals, just pure listening bliss!!! :wink: 8) :peace

Still Life & Deliverance are awesome too, & My Arms, Your Hearse ain't bad at all either. Anything before MAYH is a little bit less "accessible," but even with their early stuff there's still quite a few gems to be found. Great band, both in studio & live.
I can't get hold of that one mate it's out of print over here, none of them are easy to get in fact, I sent to Cd universe in the states for the enhanced version of Blackwater Park...

j1mi_h3ndrix

#10 Post by j1mi_h3ndrix » Thu May 04, 2006 3:36 pm

lol yeah when i saw them mikael was hilarious

he kept making fun of americans and stuff it was great

Guitarmiester

#11 Post by Guitarmiester » Sat May 06, 2006 4:33 pm

Opeth!!! They are awesome, they played in NY a few months ago, but the show was sold out! Now I gotta wait another year or 2 to see them live!