Guitars SUCK 3: Revenge of the SUCK

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Yngtchie Blacksteen

C'mon, guys, let's just stop this now. Ryan will never post any clips, as he doesn't have any. If he wants to keep up the Internet Warrior routine, let him. This thread, which had lots of potential, was ruined the moment he showed up with the sole intention of causing arguments. As long as people like Layton are allowed to do these sorts of things without the moderators lifting a finger, there's no point in posting these vids in the Vai forum. Not that it matters, as there are other forums out there, with better moderation and fewer Ryan Laytons.

See you there, fellers.
Ryan Layton
Banned

You're right - I don't have any clips. Classical guitarists are not as testosterone filled as you guys and we don't feel the need to show off on the internet. If we want to tell the world that we've got chops, we'll go win the GFA.

And also, I see that your post was an attempt to provoke the mods to A) ban me B) lock this thread. Clever.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

I'm not locking the thread or banning you, but I have already asked you to stop posting here Ryan. Now I'm telling you. Bow out of this discussion. Let these guys enjoy their thread. It's as valid thread as any other, and doesn't need to be ruined by you.

Thank you,

Mikey
vai.com
Yngtchie Blacksteen

Thank you.

Okay, back to the video. Some nice clips you've included, haven't seen many of those acoustic ones, cool stuff. The tune Shawn Lane is playing in the video at the end is called "Abstract Logic", and for those interested, here's another performance of it from the 1996 ADP gig: http://youtube.com/watch?v=MoqRENuuLrs

Shy Boy, what are your plans for the next Guitar Sucks video? I heard Rusty Cooley was quite pleased with the work you had done with them.
Miles_Coltrane
Newcomer

Now that we're rid of the sn00b. There are some sections of Guthrie Govan's Wonderful Slippery Thing that would be a great addition to your next video. Guthrie's command of the guitar is among the best I've ever seen.

There are also some vids of a Jazz cat named Bob Conti out there that will make your jaw drop.

John Petrucci has some really amazing video moments as well
- Live in Bucharest (LITS Solo)
- In The Name of God Unison
- Stream of Consciousness Solo

There's a player on another forum by the name of Rick Graham that would also be a great fit. He's got finesse to spare.

There's some really old footage from '76 of Alex Lifeson ripping it up out there too that would be great.

If I think of anymore I'll throw them up. Do you have your videos hosted anywhere for download?
Yngtchie Blacksteen

Miles_Coltrane wrote:There's a player on another forum by the name of Rick Graham that would also be a great fit. He's got finesse to spare.
Oh yes, definitely. Rick's insane in the mainframe, he's got more chops than a butcher shop. He's one of the best, amazing dexterity and fantastic sense of melody.
Miles_Coltrane
Newcomer

Robert (Bob) Conti vid here at NAMM 2001
http://s59.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2KQ6 ... KFS4UUAJZQ

Rick Graham's Website
ps - Rick is a Classical guitarist that shreds *GASP* :P
http://www.rick-graham.co.uk/rick_index.htm
Shy Boy

Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:Shy Boy, what are your plans for the next Guitar Sucks video? I heard Rusty Cooley was quite pleased with the work you had done with them.
I already have quite a few videos selected for it, and some amateur players are recording videos especially for Guitars SUCK 4 (our very own WSK and Lelio for example). There's a good chance I can get Rusty to do a little something just for it. Maybe a little "Prelude to Madness," the opening instrumental to Rusty's heavy metal band Outworld's CD.

I've been looking for some high quality Petrucci instrumental footage, but so far I haven't found anything that really fits. I've never heard Rick Graham, so I'll check him out, too. I'd like to use Guthrie Govan again, but my Tone Merchant DVD's are really buggy. I need to send for new ones before I use him again. Maybe Guitars SUCK 5 though.

To be honest, I tried very hard not to use many well known videos in the last Guitars SUCK, but in doing so I had to pass on a lot of really great stuff (Zabek’s “Walk on Water” for example). So I think I’m going to throw a few better known videos on GS4. Nothing SUPER popular, but you may have seen a couple of these already. Not to worry, I will continue to use mostly fresh and mostly unknown material.
cioran

Hi Shy Boy, for what my opinion is worth, I really think you should include Guthrie. I've got one of the DVD:s (NAMM of -05), and it has some stunning material. For some reason, a clip from that show was posted at this forum for laughs only -the one where G plays hell out of a country tune, which is technically quite impressive but really a lark. The rest of the show is awesome, with some really good music besides the excellent chops.
Ya gotta love the sequence where he pulls off a difficult two-handed arpeggio and, during a hanging note, clenches his fist and says "Yeah!" in a friendly fashion to the audience - possibly he wasn't sure he was going to pull it off. This is the fun stuff, but as I said, there's some serious musical merit in Guthrie's playing, and I really hope you can interest more people in his skills with your next vid. Keep up the good work!

All the best.
Yngtchie Blacksteen

Rick's most recent recording: http://www.rick-graham.co.uk/Fugue.wma
Moderator77FP

Ryan has now been banned.

If the admin tells you to stop posting in a thread, it's best to abide by his request...

Moderator77FP
www.vai.com
Shy Boy

Thank you! Maybe next time we can keep him out of it before he starts this up again.
Lucky

Shy Boy, thanks for the videos. I enjoyed watching all three...Oh yeah and *thanks a lot* for the G.A.S. now I want one of those Brazilian Tagima K-2 guitars that Kiko Louriero was playing. :guitar
Miles_Coltrane
Newcomer

Moderator77FP wrote:Ryan has now been banned.
Thanks for getting rid of that pathetic excuse for a musician Ryan Layton. It's people like him that tarnish the world of guitar and music, and to rid them from this forum is a major improvement. I hope you're reading this Ryan, because you lost and we won. Your ignorance, bad taste, and snoobery just isn't tolerated here.

Great vids here!

A ton of Robert Conti Video Clips:
http://www.robertconti.com/videos/index.html

Tommy Emmanuel is amazing too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=Bs0KRdBkepc

Gary Moore dominating Red House
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXYjEMTQ ... ed%20house

This is cool too
http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=s4snspCga30
brentm

Miles_Coltrane wrote:
Thanks for getting rid of that pathetic excuse for a musician Ryan Layton. It's people like him that tarnish the world of guitar and music, and to rid them from this forum is a major improvement. I hope you're reading this Ryan, because you lost and we won. Your ignorance, bad taste, and snoobery just isn't tolerated here.
Dude, that ain't cool to say about him. And you're only bringing yourself down by posting insulting messages about others...