The Scorpions

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
guyver_dio

I've only recently heard and started to listen to some of their stuff. It's a brilliant band in my opinion. Just wanted to know what you vai lovers think of this band.
j1mi_h3ndrix

you mean the scorpions from like the 80's? lol

they're awesome but i think your a little late
Seraphim

I love the non-comercial albums!!! The good old ones!!!
The Roth era, I love the Virgin Killer album.
And I like the Blackout album!!!
I have the oportunity for saw one concert in 1998, and for my lucky, they played a lot of songs from my favorite albums :wink:
But the new-age era I don't like very much, I think that are music for lovers...
Anyway, thats my opinion 8)
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

I prefer their early stuff too, although Blackout & Love at First Sting are pretty good too. Betcha didn't know that they were formed in 1965!!! :shock: I have their debut, Lonesome Crow on vynil, & it's a clear, see-thru vynil record, not a original from '72 though, it's a reissue, but cool nonetheless. It's always been one of my fav Scorps records because it doesn't even sound like them at all, kind jazzy & bluesy a bit, you'd never even know it was them. In Trance, Virgin Killer & Taken By Force are my other favs by them. Seen them a few times in the 80's too. :mrgreen:
guyver_dio

j1mi_h3ndrix wrote:you mean the scorpions from like the 80's? lol

lol well i wasn't on this planet till '88 so it would have been a little hard for me to get into their music back then lol. I have heard of the very commercial songs like Rock You like A Hurricane and Winds Of Change before but never decided to check out some of their other stuff till recently and the Blackout album would have to be one of my favs.

My fav songs though would have to be Lonely Nights and The Zoo.
Last edited by guyver_dio on Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seraphim

guyver_dio wrote:
j1mi_h3ndrix wrote:you mean the scorpions from like the 80's? lol
Blackout album would have to be one of my favs.
:guitar :headbang Blackout :headbang :guitar
Glad for that :wink:
guyver_dio

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher wrote:I prefer their early stuff too, although Blackout & Love at First Sting are pretty good too. Betcha didn't know that they were formed in 1965!!! :shock: I have their debut, Lonesome Crow on vynil, & it's a clear, see-thru vynil record, not a original from '72 though, it's a reissue, but cool nonetheless. It's always been one of my fav Scorps records because it doesn't even sound like them at all, kind jazzy & bluesy a bit, you'd never even know it was them. In Trance, Virgin Killer & Taken By Force are my other favs by them. Seen them a few times in the 80's too. :mrgreen:
Wow thats really interesting to know. I'll have to see if i can find some of their stuff from that era. That's the same thing that amazes me about Ronnie James Dio. How they are brought up and listened to the blues and jazz of the 50's and 60's and be able to keep up as time and music changes through the years. You listen to the early stuff from Dio in the Elf days and wonder how the hell he got into metal. I guess someone has to take the next step.
b2

Great band. I have some cds and of course was a fan in the 80's and 90's.
MSG "Michael Schenker Group" was also nice.
if6was9

Heheh, glad to see this topic coming up !

I am actually a Scorpions collector, and they are an integral part of my life. On top of that, The Scorpions are the reason why i started playing the guitar (especially because Matthias Jabs was so cool). They had amazing players like Michael Schenker and Uli Jon Roth (who unfortunately is very unknown to many people). He is an iconic player of the 70's, and as far as i'm concerned, he's right up there with Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin and other virtuosos that were present in those days.

As having all their studio albums and over 100 bootlegs weren't enough, i even got myself a scorpion tatooed on my chest :lol: Before Steve Vai came into my life, it was all about Scorpions all day long. If i could suggest you some of the stuff you might want to check out. From their 70's check out Virgin Killer, In Trance and Tokyo Tapes. If you want some raw metal from the early 80's check out Animal Magnetism and Blackout. Funny enough, my favorite era was their mid to late 80's when they were following the hair-metal trend. I really dig Savage Amusament. As for the 90's till the present days ... Well, i guess i'd prefer to listen to their past stuff.

If you have any questions about this band, feel free to ask me, i'll gladly do my best to help you out !
guyver_dio

thanks for the suggestions

I enjoy a broad range of music ever since i started playing guitar as playing a instrument teaches you to appreachiate alot of different styles. And this is what i love about bands like scorpions. Because they have gone through so many era's of music, one album can be completely different to the next which is probably one reason i like vai because i'm always interested to see what he's gonna do next.

I will look around for those albums you mentioned from the 70's era since i've only heard some of there 80's and 90's stuff so far. Even the love ballads they did alot in the 90's are excellent in my opinion.
if6was9

I guess that in a way or another i love everything they did, even the so-called poor stuff among the fanbase (their mid to late 90's period). But with my suggestions you can't go wrong, believe me, you will really enjoy those albums ! Especially in the 70's it's really about raw drugs sex and rock'n'roll ! :lol:
jemgirl

oh yeah the scorpions!
i remember them as a nice band.
very good vocals and....ofcourse mr.schenker michaels brother.
listen to the wind of change was my favorite.
R1FSR

fly to the rainbow from Tokyo Tapes is one of my all time favourite tracks..Uli Jon Roth is outstanding on that :D