Amateur TAB-Outlawed!

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Shade

rikimaru wrote:Just got this from the BBC:

"Musical instrument shops must pay an annual royalty to cover shoppers who perform a recognisable riff before they buy, thereby making a "public performance".

My joke about this in a previous thread is coming true by degrees.
This is really gettig worrying.

WHAT THE F*CK.
Ryakoth

Its sad that corporations and government are getting so protective as to actually try to stop anyone who doesnt work for them from learning how to do anything this is shown in all aspects of the government and the more related to individuality and free focused mind a thing is the worse it is hit
Big Bad Bill

I think we have to realise that this is actually all about music publishers trying to claw back their dwindling profit from what they see as the main drain upon it! But what they don't see is that it's their greedy practices that drive their customers away.

Here in the UK an album TAB book can cost £25 ($43!)-this is so expensive that people look for alternatives and have found what they're looking for on the Internet. But erroneously, publishers decide to attack the Internet when they should actually be reducing the mark up they're making on their books and thus making their product more competitive!

As I've said elsewhere on this message board, I can forsee there being an iTunes for TAB-iTAB where people pay for TAB song-by-song. This is the only solution I can see to this.
Big Bad Bill

I've just sent this letter to the MPA:

Dear Sirs,

As an academic, educator and guitar player, I am very concerned about you recents moves targetting online archives of TAB. I can perhaps see that you may be losing business because guitarist like myself will trawl the Internet to get hints, tips and direction in the form of amateur TAB in order to learn how to play a song/song segment. I can see this is the case with popular music-The Darkness, Stereophonics, Van Halen etc, but what about bands that will never have their music available as TAB because they appeal to an obscure fan base? Can anyone presently buy the TAB of Zlatko Perica’s contribution to Tangerine Dream’s live shows? No! So why object to amateurs writing it out and making it available to the handful of people who are interested? I believe this move will stifle the now thriving, and renewed interest in learning to play guitar because beginners are usually not in the position to regularly spend £25 on a TAB book especially if they’re interested in just one song. The guitar industry is finally beginning to regain its foothold, expand and make a profit because it’s cool to play guitar once again, but I can’t help thinking the MPA’s plans will kick the industry in one of its most sensitive regions and smother this new growth before it can establish itself properly.

This whole idea stinks of the greedy, anti-free-trade-businessmen who are trying to make as much money as they possibly can from an intellectual product that they believe they own when in fact they own the version of TAB they have comissioned. In doing so, they will deprive many amateurs from participating in an already expensive hobby by forcing us to buy TAB which is often far inferior to that which true enthusiasts produce and make available free of charge! Perhaps the MPA should be looking at the product they’re actually offering us, try improving upon it, and try and compete with the free online amateur TAB providers. This issue is angering so many of your potential customers that you run the risk of a backlash with people boycotting your products-a route of protest I would endorse whole-heartedly.

We amateur musicians must be on our guard over this issue since it’s all-pervading rise could see us being tapped on the shoulder when we walk down the street, whistling Opeth’s latest tune and being asked to cough up copyright money!

Dr Anil Sahal, Sheffield, UK

Why don't you all do similarly? Their email address is:

mpa-admin@mpa.org
whisperingaprayer

If my band does a cover tune in a bar am I going to have to start paying royalties to the artist that wrote it?

This really has turned into a bunch of bullshit. Whats next? You will not be allowed to by a book and read it then give it to a friend to read when your done. Are they going to start telling us that is illegal?
Lake of desire

whisperingaprayer wrote:If my band does a cover tune in a bar am I going to have to start paying royalties to the artist that wrote it?
This, infact, should be the case, in my opinion at least. This is the law, too, here in Finland.
Big Bad Bill

Yep, whisperingaprayer, you're already supposed to pay royalities for playing other people's music. I suspect that the MPA will start enforcing this law now, rather than turning a blind eye as they have done.
Wyldestrings
Newcomer

Ya know what that is honestly just sad, to see that for all the people that can't afford guitar lessons, and are doing it on there own will be restricted from getting tabs on the net of certain songs, that's bullshit, there is no reason they should, I use the net at time and when I was just starting when i was a teen I used the net alot, but the cuase for this is what? booksales are down, I own over 200 books, and I still used the net, so I don't know sounds like a dumb move to me and poor judgement MPA can take a long walk off a short Pier....
acoates

Not to mention not many offical TAB books tab live versions of songs and solos, which I sometimes prefer to the studio versions. Also stuff like Paul Gilbert's Mr. Big guitar solo video thats floating around the net, I found a TAB for that on mysongbook, tell me where I could have found something similar in official TABs
Big Bad Bill

It seems much of the PTA has been absorbed into this website:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

Hooray!
Christophar

Yah I wrote an email too. Im thinking it would do a wee bit more damage though if we all sent letters instead.
Arkka

whisperingaprayer wrote:If my band does a cover tune in a bar am I going to have to start paying royalties to the artist that wrote it?
I'm not sure about this, but I think that at least in Finland it's common that in the given situation the bar owner is responsible to pay the royalties. This probably affects your comission though. As I said, not sure though.

With less know unsigned bands (with few covers here and there) the royalties aren't usually paid even though the law says otherwise.

But what's going to happen with the official band websites containing amateur tabs?
For instance:
http://www.racerxband.com/tabs.htm

This is going to be fun 8)
j1mi_h3ndrix

Big Bad Bill wrote:"The music industry is to extend its copyright war by taking legal action against websites offering unlicensed song scores and lyrics. The Music Publishers' Association (MPA), which represents US sheet music companies, will launch its first campaign against such sites in 2006."

I feel very strongly about this. I use TAB obtained from PowerTAB Archive as a learning tool and a way of getting TAB for music that isn't made commercially available. And yet, I can't construct a good argument against banning such sites. Does anyone here have an opinon or good argument? It would be serious handicap to my playing should sites such as this become outlawed.
i know that http://www.ultimate-guitar.com isn't getting shut down.. and they have a lot of songs so i dont have too much to worry about
al

powertabs is back...

8)

now to downlaod everything!
j1mi_h3ndrix

Big Bad Bill wrote:I've just sent this letter to the MPA:

Dear Sirs,

As an academic, educator and guitar player, I am very concerned about you recents moves targetting online archives of TAB. I can perhaps see that you may be losing business because guitarist like myself will trawl the Internet to get hints, tips and direction in the form of amateur TAB in order to learn how to play a song/song segment. I can see this is the case with popular music-The Darkness, Stereophonics, Van Halen etc, but what about bands that will never have their music available as TAB because they appeal to an obscure fan base? Can anyone presently buy the TAB of Zlatko Perica’s contribution to Tangerine Dream’s live shows? No! So why object to amateurs writing it out and making it available to the handful of people who are interested? I believe this move will stifle the now thriving, and renewed interest in learning to play guitar because beginners are usually not in the position to regularly spend £25 on a TAB book especially if they’re interested in just one song. The guitar industry is finally beginning to regain its foothold, expand and make a profit because it’s cool to play guitar once again, but I can’t help thinking the MPA’s plans will kick the industry in one of its most sensitive regions and smother this new growth before it can establish itself properly.

This whole idea stinks of the greedy, anti-free-trade-businessmen who are trying to make as much money as they possibly can from an intellectual product that they believe they own when in fact they own the version of TAB they have comissioned. In doing so, they will deprive many amateurs from participating in an already expensive hobby by forcing us to buy TAB which is often far inferior to that which true enthusiasts produce and make available free of charge! Perhaps the MPA should be looking at the product they’re actually offering us, try improving upon it, and try and compete with the free online amateur TAB providers. This issue is angering so many of your potential customers that you run the risk of a backlash with people boycotting your products-a route of protest I would endorse whole-heartedly.

We amateur musicians must be on our guard over this issue since it’s all-pervading rise could see us being tapped on the shoulder when we walk down the street, whistling Opeth’s latest tune and being asked to cough up copyright money!

Dr Anil Sahal, Sheffield, UK

Why don't you all do similarly? Their email address is:

mpa-admin@mpa.org
thats a good email!