fastest guitarist? who is he?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Pi2plank

Best use of leather
u seen School of Rock? i think the bassist there for the band No Vacancy is a real candidate for this one...he was still half-naked w/ that leather jacket...haha...now why didnt David Lee Roth think of that....

Blurriest picking hand
no guys from ILM or Dreamworks please....
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

Some people just enjoy fast guitar playing, I know I do. :wink:

Not all the time at hyper-speed, but it's great when it's done articulately, precisely, or whatever other word you wanna use for it, when you hear it done to whatever level of competency, that you see fit for it to be at, for you to accept it as adequately satisfying your perception of excellence, that need be present for it to register in your mind as sufficiently satisfying the criteria that you have established for it's originally intended effect on your musical sense(s); at least that's my opinion about it. :? :lol:
MR4Y

hehehehe, my friend play 38 nps (as fareri plays 34 nps). here's is the link to the video:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=34LJE2T8

and of course. it's not possible to play faster than 48 nps and be clearily audible. above this speed the notes will sound like a unique note, and you'll not hear the transitions in scales, arpeggios, etc...
lydian7

Moderator777 wrote:No politics here. Deleted political material. Keep on topic please.

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
Good to see freedom of speech is being excercised in America.
PureVa|

xxxYNGWIExxx wrote:First of all he couldent be faster(or much faster)than this guy
http://www.francescofareri.com/fareri_suspension.wmv
second, even if he was he would sound just like him dull and boring.
wow
thats insane...
thats also the most monotonous thing ive ever seen
pretty impressive but i would never listen to it...ever...
RAI

lydian7 wrote:
Moderator777 wrote:No politics here. Deleted political material. Keep on topic please.

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
Good to see freedom of speech is being excercised in America.
Sorry, but that just happens to be one of the basic rules of this board.
Keeps things a little more civil, ya' know......
8)
Haydn

NatiFable wrote:
While we're all at it, we might as well bestow a few other meaningless, groundless, will never be able to find out-who the world would want to be 'Hardy Boys and/or Nancy Drew' type people out there that have THAT kinda time:

Greatest Divebomber
Blurriest picking hand
Pinch harmonic master
Greatest Picked note ever
Who tunes up the best
Nicest Strap
Who holds the pick best?
Nicest stage clothes
Best Knees
Worst Guitar Typist <there are a few on this board up for that one ;) >
Nicest watch
Best use of leather
Greatest pickup color scheme
Coolest manicured nails
Most beer bottles thrown at the most notes played in a biker bar
ECT and ad nauseum...

Fastest gutarist reads-Who plays the absolute most amount of meaningless, mangled notes in a second? Not who produces the most style from their techniques <all kinds of different techniques other than...ta da...speed>.

So in closing, for all of you who are so passionate about 'Speed' then what the hell are you doing on the internet? Get practicing! Time's a wasting, You're burning sunlight, start the 'Whirling Dervish Promanade' in the key of Gee why?

peace and light

Sorry, I reqally couldn't resist ;-)

Greatest Divebomber - Red Baron

Blurriest picking hand - Are we talking about guitar playing now?

Greatest Picked note ever - Surely Spinal Tap's Les Paul scene

Who holds the pick best? - Eddie Van Halen

Nicest stage clothes - The Genie In Aladdin

Best Knees - Angus (Angus, Angus......Angus, Angus)

Coolest manicured nails - Dave Navarro
NatiFable

:D
totallygeek

mi2tom wrote:Have you guys heard of Jeremy barnes..... http://www.jeremybarnes.com.au/lower.html
I purchased his CD and think it is very good. That guy has some talent, not just speed.
espen
Newcomer

NatiFable wrote:
All the other guys are like these ugly one function rocket cars they have to drag out to the desert and fire off like some Coyote cartoon of old. You can't steer it, you can't take it on the road, you set this thing of and it just goes until it runs out of gas.

peace and light
So what your saying is if Vai was the worlds fastest picker you wouldent listen to him? really what do you know about this guy, maybe he makes the coolest things in the world? ive never heard of him but i still dont judge him for making bad things when i havent heard of him.....really man....grow up

I too think REALLY fast guitarplaing can easily get boring, but ive heard really cool things come out of Rusty Cooley, the fact that these guys can pick fast doesent automaticly make them blind to creativness, so dont judge them before youve heard them......
NatiFable

espen wrote:
NatiFable wrote:
All the other guys are like these ugly one function rocket cars they have to drag out to the desert and fire off like some Coyote cartoon of old. You can't steer it, you can't take it on the road, you set this thing of and it just goes until it runs out of gas.

peace and light
So<comma> what your saying is if Vai was the worlds fastest picker<comma> you wouldent listen to him? really<question mark> what do you know about this guy<question mark> maybe he makes the coolest things in the world? <maybe doesn't cut it baby, you makes no sense> ive never heard of him <comma> but i still dont judge him for making bad things <even though I have not> when i havent heard of him.....really man....grow up <period>

I too think REALLY <I also think that> fast guitarplaing can easily get boring, but ive heard really cool things come out of Rusty Cooley<period>, the fact that these guys can pick fast doesent automaticly make them blind to creativness, so dont judge them before youve heard them......<I give up, I still haven't been able to correct all that should be corrected in this tiny ant of a rant.>
First and foremost, please refrain from presuming what I know, who I have or used to listen to. What you don't know about me can just about fill the f*cking Grand Canyon.

If you do not understand 'metaphor', then there are obviously things that you should be studying besides guitar. From your tone and your lack of ability to roll with good humor, I would say you're just a young adult <as defined in the 6 to 17 year age bracket> and like most, foolishly believe you 'know everything'. <ah, the insolence of youth....he should become a punk rocker, or is it EMO now?>

Steve Vai, if you could understand 'metaphor', IS one of the fastest guitarist in the world. Steve is also one of the few artists that represent 'the total package' in music and the arts. A voice that is a beautiful balance of emotion, soul and integrity. BUT, and here's where I'll throw a 'LARGE BUT' in your face. Vai has so much more to offer the world than how fast he can play. When has his career ever been about how fast he could play? Do you think a GENIUS like Frank Zappa would have taken a gifted person like Steve-had he only been able to play fast? Please young one. If Steve chose to play faster or never play fast again, it would make no difference to me, because he IS a musician. The music he would produce would still be incredible, it would still be Music and not a tasteless display.

The fact that musicians and non-musicians alike can appreciate his gifts makes Vai all the more relevant. Anyone that truly hears him knows that he offers a beautiful and well rounded musical persona.

You can listen to anyone you want. I respect that. I respect your opinion when it is your opinion. But do not, I repeat, do not, ever tell me that I can not have my own opinion and express that opinion as I like, even if it disagrees with your agenda.

You have the limp nerve in your broken thought process to tell me to 'grow up'? Listen little fellow and listen well. Listen with those close minded little ears of yours. Spelling, punctuation, capitalization and sentence structure may not mean beans to anyone on this board; but when you come at me, you better articulate by bringing your verbal 'A' game. You had better dot your 'I's, lower case 'j's, cross your 'T's and your fingers child. To tell you that you come off, to myself and to everyone on these boards, as an illiterate, nescient, uneducated, backward, primitive, benighted, unenlightened or any other 'un's would be beating a dead horse.

I'm going to do you a favor. I'm going to help you communicate your feelings in a more concise manner. "This will be rich..." <hehe, as he rubs his hands together...>

The 'newcomers' post:

"So what your saying is if Vai was the worlds fastest picker you wouldent listen to him?"

<Wow, he couldn't even START with a complete sentence. "So" <then a comma!> We'll ignore the obvious capitalization errors. "What your saying is if" Oh my, what's happened here? Can we say 'sentence structure' here please? Let's put "your" as "you're" or "you are" okay? Ex. Espen, you're a dolt.

"wouldent"? I'm sorry, are we playing 'Jeff Foxworthy, the home game' here? Why not use "wouldn't", "would not" or "wooden" to at least make it completely 'blockheaded'. Espen, ladies and gentleman! "Someday I want to grow up to be a 'real' boy!" Wooden indeed!

"really what do you know about this guy, maybe he makes the coolest things in the world? ive never heard of him but i still dont judge him for making bad things when i havent heard of him.....really man....grow up"

"Maybe he makes the coolest things in the world?"

<Well does he or doesn't he? Please make up your mind.>

<More of the shame, I mean 'same' here. Bad grammar, idiotic displays of ineptness. But here's the interesting part, wait for it...

"I still dont judge him for making bad things when i haven't heard of him.....really man....grow up".

<So, <notice the comma> you have the nerve and audacity to "judge" me and not want 'yours' judged? Please tiger, bite down on your obicular muscle whenever you have these little fits of selective righteousness.

So pookie, if someone has already, in your words, made bad things, but you haven't heard them, then you still don't judge them??? (If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?) Do you know Sybil? I mean really know Sybil? If you ever came to use circular logic you would ram your head up your own ass!!! What are you saying here? To call you stupid would be an insult to stupid people.

"I too think REALLY fast guitarplaing can easily get boring, but ive heard really cool things come out of Rusty Cooley, the fact that these guys can pick fast doesent automaticly make them blind to creativness, so dont judge them before youve heard them......"

<"guitarplaing" Excuse me, what are you trying to say here? Is it 'guitar playing <two words> or 'guitar plaining', <still two words> as in the act of sanding a guitar down in preperation for finishing? What are these "really cool things you've heard come out of Rusty Cooley"? Singing? Farts? Poetry? Half masticated food? His tongue? Fecal or uninary matter? Notes don't come out of Rusty unless his true talent is making any of the above notes. Are you talking about music? I can only sit and wonder! Maybe you could have said: "I've heard some really cool guitar playing from Rusty Cooley"

Let's say 'make them DEAF' "blind" sounds like your meandering and not quite attached to your train of <non>thinking.

"So dont judge them before youve heard them......"

<Okay Sparky, whatever you say. We've all been underwhelmed by your ability to 'say what's on your mind'!

Can you say that I haven't listened to these 'speed only' people? Can you? What makes you believe that I haven't listened and just not liked what I have heard? Maybe you're just one of those people that needs everyone to agree with you.

Do you know how in depth I have listened to these people? Do you think I would just dismiss these people? When I listen to musicians, I listen with a long line of different genre artists that have touched my life. I wouldn't put a person on that list that only plays fast, plays loud or plays heavy.

When all your 'speed demons' produce more than wizzy and buzzy gnat notes... When all the technique is stipped away and all the superfluous bullshit is gone... Then I'll listen again and make another judgement call. Until then, enjoy all of Rusty's "hellacious, terrifying, killer sequence, licks of doom". These are actual self-titled lessons on his site! Yeah, he's an artist of the highest order with lessons like that!

What makes up that musical andromeda strain you call 'your tastes'? Tastes that are obviously so self important that others can not possibly think for themselves and find a divergant path to their own musical make up!

Please excuse me while I go back to work now. It's been fun. I hope we speak again. Welcome to the boards 'newcomer'.

peace and light
Guitar_freaak

I find it quite funny that your sig is peace and light , when its blatantly obvious that your neither peaceful , or choose to side with the light . My guess is that your a pissed off english teacher (judging from your obsession with bad grammar) that thinks he/she? has the right to launch personal attacks on people for the simple fact that they like a different kind of music to you .

You should really try and practice what you preach , you talk about being mature but your statements are crafted with the intent to humiliate and taunt . If you were as mature as you say you are , you wouldn't make such sweeping statements and judgemental arguments .

And i just know you will find every single little mistake or misspelt word and pick away at it , comment on my word selection or maybe even write another 3-4 paragraphs on how you dont like my forum name .
Pi2plank

we should'nt really be that strict when it comes to grammar here in the forums....a lot of people here live from different parts of the world....what's really important is that we understand(get the point) what the other party has to say(write) even if its not in perfect english....
MR4Y

Greatest Divebomber- Eddie Van Halen

Blurriest picking hand- if this mean a faster picking- Thiago Della Vega

Pinch harmonic master- Steve Morse, I think

Greatest Picked note ever- ?

Who tunes up the best- ?

Nicest Strap- Malmsteen Ocelot

Who holds the pick best?- John Petrucci

Nicest stage clothes- Steve Vai

Best Knees- ?

Worst Guitar Typist- ?

Nicest watch- Malmsteen with a Rolex on stage, XD

Best use of leather- a female masochist?

Greatest pickup color scheme- Joe Satriani

Coolest manicured nails- Jason Becker

Most beer bottles thrown at the most notes played in a biker bar- Zakk Wylde, maybe
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

best use of "Leather?" - Chastain :mrgreen: :wink:

nicest strap - Buckethead (it's elastic)