Meeting an awsome guitarist

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
floevo
Newcomer

Meeting an awsome guitarist

#1 Post by floevo » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:25 am

I am a huge fan of Steve Vai and always wondered how he plays the way he does and without going to see his gigs or satriani's or dream theater you wouldnt see that kind of talent in a pub or bar or something. I recently went to see a band called Fallen Ikarus in norwich and my god, the guitar player from that band was unbelievable. The likes of which you dont see unless at the above gigs i mentioned. I went up to him and had a chat and he was suprisingly modest and genuine about his playing. He told me to check his website out. www.andyjames.org.uk so i did. I recommend anybody on this forum to check it out. I also bought his solo album machine and was blown away by the diversity and technique, and for the first time listened to a new instrumental artist not trying to be like anybody and just being himself. Check it out. I think this guy is going to make some waves in the brittish guitar scene :!:

BobsterLobster

#2 Post by BobsterLobster » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:31 am

Woah, I'll just burn my guitar now. What incredible technique, very fluid.
Shame about the lack of imagination with the compositions, I'm back in the 80s with Greg Howe and Vinnie Moore... although the third clip off his album does have some nice 'Vai-isms', the lydian shred with liberal use of whammy pedal.

floevo
Newcomer

#3 Post by floevo » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:01 pm

Exactly wot i though when i saw him play but the clips on site arent a true representation, i dont think, of the compositional style of the overall album. I think the simple but effective rule has been applied to it and the main focus is just playing the guitar. The other clips arent on the album but just extra's i think.

petethegreat

#4 Post by petethegreat » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:14 pm

bloody hell he's good

Luc

#5 Post by Luc » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:34 am

:shock: Holy f*ck that first video clip is INSANE

stu_hig

#6 Post by stu_hig » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:10 am

Awesome. Dispite it being fast his soloing style is really melodic. I like it a lot.

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

#7 Post by CymbalSplittingSkinbasher » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:02 am

WOW!!! That dude's great!!! All of those clips sound great, but that second video clip, the longer one, is really awesome. I'm gonna get me some of his stuff, & I'm gonna do it now! :)

7string

#8 Post by 7string » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:26 am

Great guitarist.
Ordered my copy of the CD!

Thanks for the link

Cheers

7 string 8)

jemgirl

#9 Post by jemgirl » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:27 am

when i click media.......coming soon appears :?

TheCentralScrutinizer
Newcomer

Re: Meeting an awsome guitarist

#10 Post by TheCentralScrutinizer » Sun May 11, 2008 5:50 am

floevo wrote:I am a huge fan of Steve Vai and always wondered how he plays the way he does and without going to see his gigs or satriani's or dream theater you wouldnt see that kind of talent in a pub or bar or something. I recently went to see a band called Fallen Ikarus in norwich and my god, the guitar player from that band was unbelievable. The likes of which you dont see unless at the above gigs i mentioned. I went up to him and had a chat and he was suprisingly modest and genuine about his playing. He told me to check his website out. www.andyjames.org.uk so i did. I recommend anybody on this forum to check it out. I also bought his solo album machine and was blown away by the diversity and technique, and for the first time listened to a new instrumental artist not trying to be like anybody and just being himself. Check it out. I think this guy is going to make some waves in the brittish guitar scene :!:
This is pretty funny when you realise "floevo" is in fact the said guitarist Andy James himself

GuitarBizarre

#11 Post by GuitarBizarre » Sun May 11, 2008 5:57 am

Holy thread resurrections batman!