Japanese guitar players

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
kyo45

i've been into japanese music for almost 2 years now(got turned on to it by bands like Dir en grey and malice) i also listen to bands like la arc en ciel miyavi glay the back horn and x japan just to name a few.

the only japanese guitarist i have really taken the time to listen to are tomoyasu hotei and hide(may he R.I.P). I was just wonder if some of you guys and gals out there could turn me on to some other good japanese guitarist maybe put some links up to some good sites about them etc.
i'll say thanxs a head of time "Thanxs"
fineweather

For example...

here/here
or here?
And here or here?
(Though, I don't have any interests in them.)

I suppose you know Toshi Hiketa...
jemgirl

i know a japanese band called LOUDNESS.
a long time agoo,but if my memory served me well,they sounded great.
ppvai

i had heard alot of good japanese guitarrists ,and i only remember one that plays paul gilbert licks and hes good let me tell you. :peace
Magnifico

well theres that japanese composer that does the music for all Final Fantasy games... and like the guitarist that play in the theme songs of many anima series are not bad..
but as for their names I really suck at remembering names.
kyo45

jemgirl wrote:i know a japanese band called LOUDNESS.
yeah i heard a song by them it was actually pretty good i heard they released a album a few years back not sure tho.

thanxs guys
treeduck

jemgirl wrote:i know a japanese band called LOUDNESS.
Akira Takasaki is the guitar player, good band for heavy riffing but I could never get past the vocals to be honest made me cringe and laugh at the same time, his solos were only so so as far as I can remember too.

I got his solo album back in early to mid 80s sometime called Tusk of Jaguar. I think I've still got it somewhere in some spooky attic room. It didn't do anything for me really, very disappointing. It had violins on it which I found interesting but it only served to give it a kind of Bruce Lee film soundtrack feel, which isn't as good as it may sound. One for the back of the vinyl pile it was for me...

Tak Matsumoto is a highly regarded Japanese rock guitar player. He did an album for Favoured Nations recently and one with ex-Mr Big vocalist Eric Martin and Jack Blades from Nightranger

You can check him out here...

http://www.favorednations.com/artists/tm/tm.html

http://bz-vermillion.com/tak/
treeduck

There's also a jazz/fusion guitarist called Yosuke Onuma he's famous for his Three Primary Colour" album.
holdsworth
Newcomer

The best Japanese guitar player is easily the instrumentalist Kotaro Oshio. He regularly wows crowds with his virtuoso acoustic guitar playing at the montreux jazz festival. His best albums are Starting Point and Dramatic, both of which contain some beautiful melodic and rhythmic sound-weaving. You'd swear that there were more than one guitar player playing most of his stuff, but it's just him and his trusty old acoustic. :)

Image Image
Tak Matsumoto is a highly regarded Japanese rock guitar player. He did an album for Favoured Nations recently and one with ex-Mr Big vocalist Eric Martin and Jack Blades from Nightranger
Tak Matsumoto is a great guitarist, and Steve Vai even provided a poem recital on one of the track from the album Hana (I think it was Romeo & juliet). He's most famous for his band B'z who are the most successful rock band in Japan. He's also endorsed by Gibson, and his sugnature guitar is beautiful...I played it alot when I was over there. 8)

...also a famous fretless electric guitarist called Issei Noro is one to look out for. He's an old jazzer, and I picked up his album Under the Sky when I was in Okinawa, a very lush sounding album. Apparently he's very famous over there.
Amano

Magnifico wrote:well theres that japanese composer that does the music for all Final Fantasy games...
Nobuo Uematsu.
treeduck

fineweather wrote:Tsuchiya Kohey
Kazumi Watanabe
Kaori Muraji
Char
Dojima Kohei

At random. :mrgreen:
Oh yeah I forgot about Kazumi I had a few albums of his ages ago...
Sammy Pilve
Newcomer

definetly the LOUDEST shredder from japan is Akira Takasaki of LOUDNESS..then there's this hairband called vow wow!! :D
GuitarMofo23

who is the guy in hideous sun demons? I think that is the band name
fineweather

GuitarMofo23 wrote:who is the guy in hideous sun demons? I think that is the band name
Its guitar player is Toshi Hiketa.

http://www.magnacarta.net/releases/hide ... emons.html
You can listen to a sample there.

again
http://www.ToshiHiketa.com