James LaBrie

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Martian Love

I have just started to listen to Dream Theater, and IMO James LaBrie is one of the best rock singers of all time. What do you guys think of him.

Peace

P.S. What happened to his daughter. I have heard that she had an illness or something. Can someone fill me in Please?
GrazZ

personally i think hes got an incredible voice however i know some ppl just cant stand it for whatever reason
sonny sixshooter

I used to like his singing very much. But now I am really tired of it. It's just the same over and over again. He is not at al interesting. The other guys however! That's why I urge everyone to check out Liquid Tension Experience. No James.
Amano

I can't say that I like James.. He shouldn't go as high as he does.
valkor

I'm listening to his Solo Album right now, it's spectacular!
Very heavy actually with some great guitar work and
amazing vocal hooks...check out
Pretender, my favorite song on the album.
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

I like his voice & when I last seen DT on the TOT tour, James sounded awesome! I agree that his latest solo album is very good, & I like Octavarium too. Can't wait for Gigantour!!! :D
treeduck

And my deep thinking overall assessment: ohhhhh he's ok...
Leanne_777

I agree that James' voice is always the same-most singers don't have the ability to change it, you have what you have. I think he is one of the best singers ever :peace :peace :peace

Check out Jorn Lande though-he's amazing!
Martian Love

What about his daughter???
Lamer
Newcomer

I don't like his voice, IMHO he can't sing.....
Gulliver

Lamer wrote:I don't like his voice, IMHO he can't sing.....
Do you really believe that if you don't like someone's voice then this atomatically means that the person, whose voice you don't like, can't sing?

I too do not like LaBrie's voice (especially when he yells in those high registers :roll: ).
But man CAN sing his head off, no focking doubt!

PS: Though I agree that Bob Dylan CAN'T sing. :lol:
Last edited by Gulliver on Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaulF555

I didn't used to like James' voice - and when you're in that frame of mind you pick up all the slighlty flat notes etc, but now, when i listen to it

a/ there's a lot of power
b/ there's a lot of expression
c/ on Train of Thought and Octavarium he's been spot on. Listen to Octavarium itself, towards the end the list of band references and quotes-he sings that brilliantly.

I couldn't imagine DT with anyone else, he's awesome.
shyboy12

James LaBrie can be an absolutely amazing singer. In fact, in almost all the studio albums he's done with Dream Theater he really is. He's got a very unique voice, you an easily tell he's greatly influenced by opera and classical singing. However, if you've ever heard him live you'll know what I mean when I say that he's inconsistent. He constantly sings off key and misses pitches when he sings live. But he is none the less a good singer.
jamtheguitarman

I used to like his singing very much. But now I am really tired of it. It's just the same over and over again. He is not at al interesting
have you heard octavarium? have you heard train of though? have you
heard Awake? completly different singing in each album.
sonny sixshooter

jamtheguitarman wrote:have you heard octavarium? have you heard train of though? have you
heard Awake? completly different singing in each album.
I have heard them all, and I am so tired of his singing! On every album I look forward to the instrumental parts, of which there are plenty, I am glad to say.