Dragonforce

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Zebula77

I'm not really into speed-metal or power metal, but Dragonforce is really cool. Cheesy, yes. But they put me in a good mood, and the guitar work is truly excellent. Very fast and very innovative. Some of the stuff they do I've never heard before, which is pretty damn rare.
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

You've probably never heard some of the stuff Dragonforce does, because you don't listen to bands like Rhapsody, Luca Turilli, Hammerfall, Stratovarius, Manowar, 3 Inches of Blood etc.... :wink:
metalus

Dragonforce's new cd is out this monday (UK). Its called Inhuman Rampage. There is an MP3 to listen to/download from the new cd up right now.

Loz :)
Arkka

metalus wrote:Dragonforce's new cd is out this monday (UK). Its called Inhuman Rampage. There is an MP3 to listen to/download from the new cd up right now.

Cool song. The guitar thing in the outro reminds me of Bill & Ted.
stu_hig

metalus wrote:Dragonforce's new cd is out this monday (UK). Its called Inhuman Rampage. There is an MP3 to listen to/download from the new cd up right now.

It's a great song. Seems a little more refined than their other work. I'll be picking up the album on Monday.
j1mi_h3ndrix

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher wrote:You've probably never heard some of the stuff Dragonforce does, because you don't listen to bands like Rhapsody, Luca Turilli, Hammerfall, Stratovarius, Manowar, 3 Inches of Blood etc.... :wink:
stratovarius is awesome

Check out Pagan's Mind. :wink:

Listened to the new song, pretty cool, very nice guitar playing. :)
mental speedin

although they r chessy i love em n im hopefully gonna get a ticket to their glasgow show at the end of this month :lol:
guyver_dio

Dragonforce

Singer is ok

Band is fucking horrible

I can't stand that speed metal, play everything at a million miles an hour bullshit. And don't give me that 'oh speed is a talent in it self' or 'what a complete narrow minded remark' bullshit either. It's just fucking dreadful meaningless shit in my opinion and i know speed can have meaning but c'mon, i can drag my guitar along the carpet and get the same effect.
stu_hig

guyver_dio wrote:Dragonforce

Singer is ok

Band is fucking horrible

I can't stand that speed metal, play everything at a million miles an hour bullshit. And don't give me that 'oh speed is a talent in it self' or 'what a complete narrow minded remark' bullshit either. It's just fucking dreadful meaningless shit in my opinion and i know speed can have meaning but c'mon, i can drag my guitar along the carpet and get the same effect.
If you don't like the music, fair enough but you can't deny that they are, from a technical point of view at least, great musicians.
fyrie

stu_hig wrote: If you don't like the music, fair enough but you can't deny that they are, from a technical point of view at least, great musicians.
Exactly...Yes, these guys sound dated, but they are freakin' awesome musicians. If these guys were around back in the day they would have been huge.
cioran

Indeed, but "the day", thankfully, has passed. Very cool guitar stuff at times, but this kinda German-style metal makes me self-conscious even if I'm alone in the room. It's that embarrassing. I call it German because most of this stuff has been, hah, perpetrated by German bands, and this exceedingly cheesy wish-I-was-Wagner mentality and sound is typical of that scene. This is why we Swedes are ashamed of Hammerfall, the Finns of Stratovarius and so forth. It's children's music. Still, nostalgia in small doses probably does you good. At least it's better than "maturing" to the point where indie garage bands are somehow cool, which seems to happen a lot around here. Weird thing, taste...

Even if a person considers these types of bands "children's music," if you take the time & listen to a band's entire catalog, sooner or later you're bound to find a song, or even a number of songs that you might actually consider quality songwriting. Imo, Hammerfall & Stratovarius do have some good songs.

As for Dragonforce, I've listened to both cd's a few times & they just don't grab me like some other bands in the genre. There's a couple songs that I think are alright, but overall, the stuff's just not too memorable for me. I really dig Rhapsody & Luca Turilli's solo stuff a lot, so they're the benckmark in this style for me & imo, Dragonforce just don't write top-notch quality songs like Rhapsody & Luca. I'll probably spin them again though & maybe something will stick, sometimes it takes several listens for something to grow on you. This music is definitely an acquired taste though, doesn't appeal to everybody that's for sure.

For me, I look for those "diamonds in the rough," even in the music of bands I'm not familiar with. Once I find out about a band/artist, I generally like to give them the benefit of the doubt, at least until I hear their entire catalog. I've found tons of songs that I really dig by bands/artists that I don't regularly listen to. I listen to songs & when I hear one that I like, I wanna hear it again even if it's on a "children's album." :mrgreen: :peace
cioran

I hear you. I'm definately not gonna mention some of the stuff I listen to in secret. If something clicks, you have to forget about genres and whether they're prestigous or not - why deny yourself the pleasure because it doesn't fit your self-image? If it works for me I'll listen to it, although I may be too cowardly to go public with it... :) Soon I'll be over the hill, without an image to maintain, and maybe then I can float some uncool secrets...