Portnoy, Vai and Hamm

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
SPDMTL

Sheehan's playing is the best for Steve's imho...[/quote]

I dunno, I'm not diggin Mr. Sheehan's bass tone. Never have.
While I like his playing tremendously, I just think his tone is too thin.
Especially compared to Stus' tone. Maybe Sheehan's tone is like that
'cause of how fast he is. You know, fast finger picking might sound like
jibberish if he had different tone. ? :wink:
Birdman

I agree with you 100%. I personally can't stand Billy's tone, and really, it doesn't go with Steve' s playing at all, it competes with it and to me, that ain't what the bassis about. For me at least, a bass player for Steve should be there as a solid, supporting foundation to what's happening, not "look, I can do what steve does on the bass" who cares? I'd much rather see Steve live next time with Stu, or anyone else other than Billy. But that's me.
resha

Birdman wrote:I agree with you 100%. I personally can't stand Billy's tone, and really, it doesn't go with Steve' s playing at all, it competes with it and to me, that ain't what the bassis about. For me at least, a bass player for Steve should be there as a solid, supporting foundation to what's happening, not "look, I can do what steve does on the bass" who cares? I'd much rather see Steve live next time with Stu, or anyone else other than Billy. But that's me.

I think Billy's playing and attitude on stage match Steve's one perfectly... :roll:
Amano

How about..

Mattias Eklundh/Rick Wakeman/Victor Wooten