Portnoy, Vai and Hamm

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Azyiu

I posted this on a different forum, but I thought I want to hear what you guys have to say.

Something just hit me like a slippery fish, and I thought to myself, hey, with all the side projects DT members have been involved in, I'd like to see something totally different.

In fact, I think I would love to see and hear Mikey to do something "out there" with Mr.Stu Hamm and Dr.Steve Vai. I don't want to hear something like the typical rock, guitar rock stuff, rather I would love to hear just how creative those guys can be... just do WHATEVER they feel right! Perhaps some Rock/Jazz/Fusion Instrumental? Your thoughts?
Melodic Dreamer

Portnoy and Vai, yea
Portnoy and Hamm, just doesn't mix

Yea, it would sound pretty cool, but there better options out there.
kW
Newcomer

That would sound pretty intense ... If that happens, I would definitely want to be there .... :)

Cheers,
kW
Real_Confusions

Don't even joke like that.
resha

Melodic Dreamer wrote:Portnoy and Vai, yea
Portnoy and Hamm, just doesn't mix

Yea, it would sound pretty cool, but there better options out there.
yeah that's my opinion too... Hamm's playing doesn't fit with Portnoy and Vai's ones imho (he's an incredible bass player though :wink: )
Azyiu

Real_Confusions wrote:Don't even joke like that.
As in?

Well, as in my reason for mixing these names together is that, they are all different type of players with different styles, yes; but, they also bring something totally unique to the table at the same time. I'd like to hear what they can do together. They are so different, that IS why I think they should come together and experiment. Maybe it's just me, I don't want to hear the same old thing over and over.

Finally, this ain't a joke, I went to UCA! :D
Real_Confusions

Azyiu wrote:
Real_Confusions wrote:Don't even joke like that.
As in?

Well, as in my reason for mixing these names together is that, they are all different type of players with different styles, yes; but, they also bring something totally unique to the table at the same time. I'd like to hear what they can do together. They are so different, that IS why I think they should come together and experiment. Maybe it's just me, I don't want to hear the same old thing over and over.

Finally, this ain't a joke, I went to UCA! :D
When I said "don't joke" I meant that it would be a fantastic idea. I was meaning to say that if you "joked" like that, my head would explode! :D

I can't believe you went to UCA, that's awesome. I'm starting there this fall. How long ago was that?
Azyiu

Man, I am an old dude, and I graduated WAY back in the Fall of 1997. I moved away in 1998 and haven't returned since then. But, I heard UCA has expended and there are a lot more new buildings and new stuff there. So enjoy and good luck, dude. :D
Ekim

Stu's playing doesn't fit with Steve's? Have you listened to Passion and Warfare??

And Steve and Stu can do much better than MP.
resha

Ekim wrote:Stu's playing doesn't fit with Steve's? Have you listened to Passion and Warfare??

Sheehan's playing is the best for Steve's imho...
Jonesy038

Ekim wrote:Stu's playing doesn't fit with Steve's? Have you listened to Passion and Warfare??

Hey come on, his dexterity maybe isn't what it is, but Portnoy is a great drummer, a bona fide hall of famer.
Carsten
Newcomer

mike is the greatest drummer i know!! i guess a really cool band whould be mike,steve,billy and jordan rudess!!!!!
Gulliver

Azyiu wrote:
... they are all different type of players with different styles...
They are not that different, imo.
Steve Vai / John Myung / Simon Phillips... Now, this line-up would be something different! :lol: :wink:
Carsten
Newcomer

a great line up was at the guitar legends show at the expo '92.......with steve vai,joe satriani,brian may,joe walsh,nuno bettencourt, cozy powell, mike moran, rick wakeman, nathan east, neil murray...and a second drummer.....don't remember his name.......and on vocals gary cherone and paul rodgers
all these guys were playing on stage together!!!! it is one of the hottest concerts i know.....so much fun and absolut perfect playing!!!
Bono

Gulliver wrote:
Azyiu wrote:
... they are all different type of players with different styles...
They are not that different, imo.
Steve Vai / John Myung / Simon Phillips... Now, this line-up would be something different! :lol: :wink:
With Jordan Rudess as keyboard player ;)