STEVE VAI vs JOHN PETRUCCI

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
verdao
Newcomer

#16 Post by verdao » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:33 pm

I like Vai...he's great songwriter...but Petrucci is the best player ever...I can't compare boths because I think JP is better in everything. JP technique and speed is insane and JP can write the most beautiful solos ever! But I respect Vai. Vai was the first virtuoso I heard

hopeless

#17 Post by hopeless » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:14 am

verdao wrote:I like Vai...he's great songwriter...but Petrucci is the best player ever...I can't compare boths because I think JP is better in everything. JP technique and speed is insane and JP can write the most beautiful solos ever! But I respect Vai. Vai was the first virtuoso I heard
sounds fair :" )

thelordofcheesecake

#18 Post by thelordofcheesecake » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:48 am

Being a regular on the JP forum, and only rarely stopping by here, you might think that I was a bigger JP fan. Well, sort of. I LOVE his earlier work up to probably 6DOIT. Train Of Thought just doesn't cut mustard as far as guitar playing goes. Yes, it's technical, but it just doesn't come anywhere near his earlier playing in my opinion. "Under A Glass Moon" is a prime example of how melody and technique can be fused perfectly, and JP is the master of this. I especially love his work on Liquid Tension Experiment.

But then, I hear you ask, why am I currently listening to Passion & Warfare? Because Vai's music is much more out there, that's why. In all honesty, I think that JP probably has his technique down slightly more than Vai does, but then JP doesn't go anywhere near tracks like "The Audience Is Listening" with the quirky humour. It's still one of my favourite tracks, and the guitar on it is awesome.

Being a devout Zapp-ite, I'm inclined to say Vai, but then I really like JP's playing as well. I'll let you know my decision after I've seen JP live :D .

verdao
Newcomer

#19 Post by verdao » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:18 pm

I think JP is much more technical than Vai...By far

resha

#20 Post by resha » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:27 pm

verdao wrote:I think JP is much more technical than Vai...By far
as long as we're talking about technique we can compare them...
I think that Steve can do something that John could never image (difficult tapping passages, legato at speed of sound, use of the bar...)

john is a great picker but steve doesn't joke...

verdao
Newcomer

#21 Post by verdao » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:12 pm

JP can do easily legatos and tappings that Vai do

GuitarStrings

#22 Post by GuitarStrings » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:19 pm

resha wrote:
I think that Steve can do something that John could never image (difficult tapping passages, legato at speed of sound, use of the bar...)

no no, I think technically, Petrucci CAN do EVERYTHING Vai does, and maybe even more precisely, I am not afraid to say that, as I am a huge Vai fan(Vai is so dear to me).
But it doesn't mean anything. Petrucci and Vai have different Musical Visions.

There are different artists on this planet because they have different visions.
It's not like "ok, now we have a 'better' one so we can get rid of the other one". What do you mean for "best", "worst"?

Petrucci's playing is so perfect, I also like his song writing so much and I consider he as a miracle. But sometimes, in wrong moments, his Music and playing can be so depressing, so I need to put on some beautiful dynamic, expressing Vai music.
You see? It's just moments.

treeduck

#23 Post by treeduck » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:10 pm

I'd say Steve is the better soloist although Petrucci is pretty rapid, but Steve has more taste and control and melody in his playing. I rate Petrucci alongside Nuno Bettncourt and Zakk Wylde, not in style, he may be better than these guys or not, (I don't like to put these guys in a competition really) but all three are brilliant rhythm guitar players and song writers (and pretty cool soloists too!!) Overall, as regards Petrucci, Steve Vai is the Man. Dream theater as a group might be able to write better vocal songs than Steve, but it's all a matter of opinion, but Vai is a total musican who can transcribe, arrange, orchestrate, and dance on the head of any musical pin you care to mention...all that and he can run a record company at the same time. Need I say more? :D

Azyiu

#24 Post by Azyiu » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:39 pm

To me, both SV and JP are amazing players and they both inspired me alot as musicians. In my humble opinion, SV is more like a mad genius to me, while JP is more like a in-your-face rock/metal player with mad skillz. All in all, both are great and it depends on what you like to pick either one of them.

Also, @ Red Hair, who is Dream Theatre? Never heard of them. :P Sorry, bad joke! :P

resha

#25 Post by resha » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:08 am

GuitarStrings wrote:
resha wrote:

What do you mean for "best", "worst"?
I haven't talked about best or worst... read my post, please :wink:
I've only said that if we're talking about technique we can compare them; if we start to talk about feeling, songwriting, appereance or anything like this ANY artist can be compared.
Remember all those discussion about YJM?
It doesn't take nowhere talking about that; but as long as we're talking about technique -which imho is an objective feature- comparison can be made... :P

resha

#26 Post by resha » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:13 am

verdao wrote:JP can do easily legatos and tappings that Vai do
I've got all DT discography and I've never heard John playing tapping like Steve... oh well my mind tells me that I've never heard John playing any tapping at all!

maybe I just have to check again their records and try to find some tapping... well actually -as you said that John can EASILY play legatos and tappings that STEVE does- I'd love to have some tips on what songs you're talking about, thanks :wink:

thelordofcheesecake

#27 Post by thelordofcheesecake » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:39 am

resha wrote:
I've got all DT discography and I've never heard John playing tapping like Steve... oh well my mind tells me that I've never heard John playing any tapping at all!

maybe I just have to check again their records and try to find some tapping... well actually -as you said that John can EASILY play legatos and tappings that STEVE does- I'd love to have some tips on what songs you're talking about, thanks :wink:

I reckon JP could play the same kind of tapping and legato parts that Steve does, but his style means that he doesn't really. For really cool legato, check out "Trial Of Tears" from Falling Into Infinity. It's not the same style, more Holdsworth-esque, but it's still an amazing solo. There's a couple of taps in "Under A Glass Moon" from Images & Words, combined with sweeps and bends, so it's not the same as Vai's stuff (but still difficult to master), and the start of the solo in "Ytse Jam" from When Dream And Day Unite has got tapping galore, but again not in the same style as Vai. JP focuses on a different aspect of his playing to Vai and as such their styles will never come particularly close.

JP could easily cover most of Vai's back catalogue if he chose to, in my opinion, although it wouldn't sound the same, whereas I think Vai might stumble on some of the faster alternate picked pieces. They're too different stylistically, and JP has just as much of a musical personality as Vai does, although I believe Steve's is much more flamboyant and John has a subtlety (especially in his earlier works) that Steve approaches from a different angle. Both can play beautiful music (if you've never heard the live version of "Lost Without You" by John Petrucci, not the one from Suspended Animation, you've really got no idea of how emotive JP's playing CAN get - it's comparable to "Tender Surrender" or "Whispering A Prayer").

Again, they're just too different to say one is better than the other. Of course, if you introduce Shawn Lane into the discussion it's a contest :wink: .

GuitarStrings

#28 Post by GuitarStrings » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:51 am

resha wrote:

emmm... John does a LOT of legatos. Just watch the Budokan DVD, the extented guitar solo in Beyond This Life. :) Listen to it! And then tell me. :D

For the "best" or "worst", "better" or "worse" thing, sorry, maybe I've read it from someone else, not from you. :)

Vaituoso

#29 Post by Vaituoso » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:24 am

Vai owns Petrucci. In everything. He even owns his soul.

GuitarStrings

#30 Post by GuitarStrings » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:36 am

Vaituoso wrote:Vai owns Petrucci. In everything. He even owns his soul.

uh yeah... Vai could also rip off every Dream Theater albums effortlessly without learning them first, with his eyes closed. Vai is God, Vai is Lord, Vai is the number one master of electric guitar... huahahaha :lol:

man that's one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read.