STEVE VAI vs JOHN PETRUCCI

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
ricardo_impellitteri

STEVE VAI vs JOHN PETRUCCI

#1 Post by ricardo_impellitteri » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:03 pm

OK, it´s not about technique, speed or something like that, these are my fave guitar players but this subject it´s simple as:

what do tou think about these guys as songwriters, do you like their lyrics?

GuitarStrings

#2 Post by GuitarStrings » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:25 am

ha ha I totally like those guys, they both inspire me so much. :D
But they are COMPLETELY different, they have different approaches to the instrument.
I just love them both. Petrucci is more "band oriented" and he cares more about the complessity of Music and its fine texture, while Vai is more "reckless" on the instrument, as he self stated once, he is more about expression and nuances.

Hahaha that's so funny, your topic title suggests that you were starting a war between Vai and Petrucci ha ha... so funny... :lol:

Bono

#3 Post by Bono » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:33 am

Tough choice...I've never been the biggest fan of Vai's vocal work (until his latest album that is) and I'm also a huge DT fan...I guess I'd have to say Petrucci seeing as he wrote some of the classics like 'Metropolis Pt1', 'Under a Glass Moon', Beyond this Life and The Spirit Carries on. I have to be in the right mood to listen to Steves vocal stuff (although 'Under It All' is the no1 most played on my Itunes list lol)...

Viva La Revolucion

#4 Post by Viva La Revolucion » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:47 am

I was going to type a rant on all the X vs. Y threads, but reading your post..no need to do that hahaha.

Petrucci is THE best progressive metal player on the face of this planet, and defenitely not all about technique.

For Steve Vai, the guitar is just an extension of his personality, and his playing has so much subtlety and nuance, you can listen to the best of his tunes for hours.

Red Hair

#5 Post by Red Hair » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:03 am

shut up. plain and simple. stop making all these stupid contest threads like over in the john petrucci forum... IMO i like vai MUCH better than john petrucci because he actually has feeling and emotion when he plays, unlike robot man john petrucci all the stuff he plays is sooo boring i cant listen to it for more than 2 minutes. john petrucci.... is extremly, extremly over-rated in my personal opinion... about his "unique style" and "unique" sound and blah blah it goes on and on... hes just a boring player...

Red Hair

#6 Post by Red Hair » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:09 am

GuitarStrings wrote:ha ha I totally like those guys, they both inspire me so much. :D
But they are COMPLETELY different, they have different approaches to the instrument.
I just love them both. Petrucci is more "band oriented" and he cares more about the complessity of Music and its fine texture, while Vai is more "reckless" on the instrument, as he self stated once, he is more about expression and nuances.

Hahaha that's so funny, your topic title suggests that you were starting a war between Vai and Petrucci ha ha... so funny... :lol:

are you joking??? like im really not kidding was that a joke?

Petrucci is more "band oriented" and he cares more about the complessity of Music and its fine texture, while Vai is more "reckless" on the instrument, as he self stated once, he is more about expression and nuances.

when you say petrucci i assume you mean dream theatre... to me dream theatre sounds like a bunch of guys competing to do the hardest stuff on stage at 1 time... and for the record dream theatre or petrucci is no where near in the least bit more band oriented. listen to fire garden... passion and warfare... good god... firewall off his new album.... sounds to me that steve vai cares about all the instruments sounding like they should and play a roll not just blend the song together and bass it off the guitar, plus he sings.

hopeless

#7 Post by hopeless » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:49 pm

Red Hair wrote:shut up. plain and simple. stop making all these stupid contest threads like over in the john petrucci forum... IMO i like vai MUCH better than john petrucci because he actually has feeling and emotion when he plays, unlike robot man john petrucci all the stuff he plays is sooo boring i cant listen to it for more than 2 minutes. john petrucci.... is extremly, extremly over-rated in my personal opinion... about his "unique style" and "unique" sound and blah blah it goes on and on... hes just a boring player...
i have no doubt that you're new in this site : ) . well you sounded as if you were offended personally. Well as you like Vai, others dont like him at all . and as you hate petrucci, others love him a lot. So i guess that the next time you want to comment on a certain reply,i definitely think that you should support it with facts like the users are doing instead of just saying that they are wrong or "as if they are telling a joke". me myself, dont like Petrucci... but that doesnt make him not influencial to other listeners. Moreover, i dont like vai that much but I RESPECT him that;s why am on his website forum and i knwo taht he's a great musician but he jsut doesnt influence me. Well bro, be more +ve about others ideas. Am sorry am talking in other ppl's place but your msgs reallllllllly triggered me to reply to you. I believ that music is what influences you. You cant deny that "Om Kalthoum" or "Fairuz" are the greatest arab singers among the Arabs. Moreover, " Mohammed Abd el Wahab" and other music composers in this area.. and am so +ve that when you listen to any of them you would definitely hate it coz its not ur style although they made the masterpeices of the world (WITH RESPECT TO Arabs) so that doesnt make them BAD>. it's about what influence you .. And if you know music, you would know what am talking about. jeeze.. i hate it when ppl offend others just for the sake of their ideas.. I Dont know .. i might over exagerrated it but i was realllllly triggered coz music is music broo...it's what influences you.. and if it doesnt, that doesnt make her Bad music ..

GuitarStrings

#8 Post by GuitarStrings » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:01 pm

Red Hair wrote:
GuitarStrings wrote:ha ha I totally like those guys, they both inspire me so much. :D

are you joking??? like im really not kidding was that a joke?

Petrucci is more "band oriented" and he cares more about the complessity of Music and its fine texture, while Vai is more "reckless" on the instrument, as he self stated once, he is more about expression and nuances.

when you say petrucci i assume you mean dream theatre... to me dream theatre sounds like a bunch of guys competing to do the hardest stuff on stage at 1 time... and for the record dream theatre or petrucci is no where near in the least bit more band oriented. listen to fire garden... passion and warfare... good god... firewall off his new album.... sounds to me that steve vai cares about all the instruments sounding like they should and play a roll not just blend the song together and bass it off the guitar, plus he sings.
I didn't even feel the need to reply, I simply think that the 2 artists work completely differently.
Vai is more about expression and nuances as I said before. He often begins with a cool riff or melody and has all these instruments and "unconventional" chord progressions or harmonies to "serve" these ideas. Yeah maybe Vai has been recently more composition-oriented. But he kept to be very "free" when he compose. I mean he is not afraid to just write and record what he hears in his mind.
While John Petrucci is more about using the guitar to serve the band's complex compositions, which are often more "conventional" under the point of view of the western music. Even in his solo album he is very precise and "under control".
John is very "picking" oriented, while Steve is more "left-hand-oriented". But this is just an example under a technical point of view.
Man you don't need to tell me what tracks from Vai to listen ha ha I've been listening to them when they were first released, like all DT albums and Petrucci's side projects. I sure know their Music very well ha ha... I don't even know why I am writing all this LOL they are just DIFFERENT. No need to compare.

tim_knox

#9 Post by tim_knox » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:51 pm

yah and it is obvious that Red Hair has only heard DT and Petrucci's newer stuff. If you were to actually look back at some of his playing, he was one of the most melodic players hands down. And now he is still awsome and can rip, but that is not all, he also has great riffs, and great accompaniment.

Petrucci is definitly a great songwriter, and so is Vai, but it is hard for me to compare the two because, with Steve he pretty much does it all, but in DT there is a lot of give and take. I mean i think Vai can do stuff that Petrucci couldn't even think of doing (and i dont necessarily mean technique, but songwriting also), and I think Petrucci can do stuff that Vai couldn't even think of doing. When you have to professoinals at the top of the game one really cant be better than the other, just different. But that is my opinion, take it or leave it :D

GuitarStrings

#10 Post by GuitarStrings » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:02 pm

tim_knox wrote:yah and it is obvious that Red Hair has only heard DT and Petrucci's newer stuff. If you were to actually look back at some of his playing, he was one of the most melodic players hands down. And now he is still awsome and can rip, but that is not all, he also has great riffs, and great accompaniment.

Petrucci is definitly a great songwriter, and so is Vai, but it is hard for me to compare the two because, with Steve he pretty much does it all, but in DT there is a lot of give and take. I mean i think Vai can do stuff that Petrucci couldn't even think of doing (and i dont necessarily mean technique, but songwriting also), and I think Petrucci can do stuff that Vai couldn't even think of doing. When you have to professoinals at the top of the game one really cant be better than the other, just different. But that is my opinion, take it or leave it :D
So true.

EVO 555

#11 Post by EVO 555 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:08 am

i have only heard steve play

Gulliver

Re: STEVE VAI vs JOHN PETRUCCI

#12 Post by Gulliver » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:54 am

That's hilarious! It seems like no one read the first post carefully enough! lol
ricardo_impellitteri wrote:...
what do tou think about these guys as songwriters, do you like their lyrics?
Personally I don't care about lyrics too much, coz' English is not my native language. If they were Estonians or at least Russians, I would let you know whose poetical talent I like the best, but unfortunately (or luckily!) they are not, so all I have to do is to concentrate on their music and I am glad to have that only option. :lol:
As guitar players - I like both of them almost equally... :wink:
As composers - I prefer Vai by a mile. :lol:

resha

#13 Post by resha » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:25 am

I've never analised John's lyrics (I'm Italian and I have to translate all the lyrics to know what they're saying) but as guitarist I prefer Steve (actually John is younger and can maturate a lot imho)

Red Hair

#14 Post by Red Hair » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:34 am

sorry about my previous posts they were very mean.... i appologize for that... i just get very angry when i see all thes X vs X threads... i think its dumb. ive heard alot of DT by the way... thats ALL my friends listen to in there cars no joke.. ive heard dream theatre before they had uhh james labrie with that other guy... i think that was there first actuall cd... idk i just really dont like em in my opinon... yeah vai uses alot of unconventional playing styles... thats why he rules =P sorry if my other post offended anyone : )

resha

#15 Post by resha » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:39 am

Red Hair wrote: ive heard alot of DT by the way... thats ALL my friends listen to in there cars no joke.. ive heard dream theatre before they had uhh james labrie with that other guy... i think that was there first actuall cd...
yep! "when dream and day unite" first DT record