Guitar Center....Sucks

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
JEMDOGGIE
Newcomer

I'm enjoying all the comments in this Forum and there is good input from everyone. The GC here in Boise, Idaho has been a pretty good thing here which has helped keep the prices competitive with the older stores, and has a pretty good staff.
When I go in there, I've usually already done some research and know what to ask but I don't expect everyone to know everything. I've let them work on a JS100 that I was giving to my 15 yr old nephew, but I would never let them touch my JEM. :shock: 0:)
This GC in Boise does keep all the expensive axes up high and they have never pressured me to buy anything plus we have haggled over discounts which have beat other local stores so I have been pretty happy. It does seem to be the Wal-Mart of music equipment but you have to expect that from a large chain verses a Mom-n-Pop, been-there for 25yrs store. I've even asked other customers for their opinion while shopping in GC and got great information before purchasing.
realgreenfire

i wanna move to boise! that is kick but fer u dude! u got one of the only good and knowledgable gc's in the country
Martian Love

I once went to the Alantic City Guitar Center, and they had custom picks that said AC/GC
l i u e
a t i n
n y t t
t a e
i r r
c
Red Hair

i dont like the guitar center here that much in jacksonville, you can tell alot of the staff knows zero information about anything related to musical intruments let alone guitar... they do not let you try out pedals they are very scetchy about playing a guitar in the "vault" they keep all the glass doors locked... ugg very difficult people... i REALLY dont like it when a sales rep trys to come sell you something while your playing... i mean.. i go in there... grab a guitar and they immidiatly try to sell it to me... its funny they think i know nothing about guitars because im 15... i walked into guitar center and i picked up this jackson that had active emgs in it with an active/passive tap on the tone pot... i plug it into one of the crappy marshalls they had sitting around... sales guy comes up to me and tells me the tap which is active/passive actually changes the pickups magnets so they work backwards to get a completly different sound... i was like... wow... are you kidding me.. this is an active passive tap making the pickups have a gain boost... the sales guy is like oooo this is the blah blah xxx model i was thinking of another model... you can go back to playing now...
Lucky

Hey red hair, I've been in there twice now. I just tell 'em I'll call them if I need them. :lol: I'm gassing really bad for that eerie dess swirl DK-2! :)
Red Hair

youve probably seen me there lol.... i was there at the grand opening... ihave ... curly red hair and it kicks.. ass.. youll probably find me playing in the vault on my own guitar lol or in the classical room. oooo i think i know what guitar your talking about... they hang it on the wall right? its like blue to greenish blueish swirl in the middle??? yeah its cool looking but im not a big fan of jacksons... alot of there necks feel like ESP necks... i dont like esp necks..
Henrique Henriques

GWinSeaWA wrote:From a different forum (The Memphis Monster):

I tortured GC this weekend.

Me: Hey! Can you tell me what is included in a setup.
GC: We look over everything and make sure it's intonated and everything.
Me: What is everything?...etc...

I love GC.
Hey Gwin... you should invite "The Memphis Monster" over to this forum... He seem's like a good addition to the VAI.COM family!!!

That was the best story ever!!!
ROTFLMAO-RH

I don't really have complaints about the West Hollywood GC. I was always well treated, and they never tried any bull with me. But that was a long time Ago, back in my L.A. years... (aoohh the good old days)
guitarforhire
Newcomer

hmmm, i dont seem to have a problem with guitar center when i used to go there in pheonix about a year ago, but perhaps things have changed over that period of time, i used to go in and i could try everything, but yes, probally 50 percent of the people that came in there didnt know sh*t either, they came in and played seven nation army till your head exploded, i wasnt very good at the time though, ill be honest, but alteast i played in the vault section with my friend quitley, not one of those mo hawked morons who came in played greenday for 7 hours straight ( no exaggeration ).Theve never tried to sell anything to me, not once and ive been in there atleast 30 times, BUT guitar center employees have a competition to see who can sell the most gear and make the most money for the company, the winner gets free ( or discounted ) gear at guitar center, so no wonder there nagging at people. Also, the JEM was at the top with a ladder where noone played, everyone seemed hell bent on playing les pauls. But whenver me and my friend go in there we usually just test things out and then buy them on musicians friend for 100 bucks cheaper or so. anyway peace
BluesyKaren
Newcomer

"By the way. does anyone have any idea if that is true. If they have to sell the used one off the wall in order to order a new JEM if you are willing to put a deposit on it?" Thanks, John

Reply to your inquiry:

It is not true that a used product must be sold before a new JEM could be ordered. The salesperson was trying to get one over on you. If the store actually valued you as a customer, they would do everything in their power to deliver the product that you want and ensure that it is of high quality.
jemmaster7

dzdncnfsd wrote:I really hate the shortage of chairs and cables at GC. As soon as you manage to find one, you have to carry it around with you or someone lese will talk it when you get up. And yeah, I really hate the dumbasses that turn it up as loud as they can and try playing Eruption or Crazy Train or whatever.
yeah :!: Everybody trying to see who,s loudest when your trying get the right guitar and other gear and their trying blow you away its almost impossible to buy anything :x
MASTEROFNUTHIN

AFTER I BOUGHT MY FIRST GUITAR I WENT TO GC TO BUY SOME NEW BOOKS. I.E. SCALES AND SOMETHING TO PRACTICE. I SAT DOWN AND PLAYED WHAT LITTLE I KNOW OF FRANK ZAPPA'S KOSMIK DEBRIS AND THE LOOKED AT ME AND TOLD ME TO KEEP IT DOWN, A MINUTE LATER SOME STUPID LITTLE PUNK WALKS IN AND PLAYS BLINK 182 AND THE SAYS TO "HEY THAT'S PRETTY SWEET DUDE, TURN IT UP".

:x STUPID GC SALES PEOPLE
Leanne_777

W don't have Guitar Centre here (I think) but there's a guitar shop in Dublin that's notorious. Once, a guy went in and said he was looking for strings. The gut working there says "fine, what size?". The guy says he wants 10s. The guy wrorking in the shop says "Sorry, strings only go as far as 9s"

hahahahaha