Guitar Center....Sucks

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Dogman
Newcomer

I think that if you really really suck, Guitar Center should make you turn it down. Everytime I walk in there, some group of kids with earings, lip rings, and pink hair, are pounding away on power chords. Does this irritate anybody else? I also love the way that Guitar Center handles their gear so well. A few months ago, I was at the SLC location and lo and behold, a shiny new, sexy lookin JEM was sittin on a stand on the ground! Holy crap! You'd think they would hang these things a little higher. I played it for awhile and put it back. After shifting to the acoustic room, an employee walked up to me and said, "Dude! Where'd you put that guitar with the handle!?" Wow, good job, guitar with handle. Right back where I found it. At the South Houston store, they were having another one of those "biggest sale of the year" events. They must have sold all of the stands before any guitars cause they had an anez S-Series Prestige laying against the wall. Next to an American Strat and a few other guitars. The place just sucks. They have the cheapest accessories in town, but they make it painful to buy them by making it torture to walk into the freakin store.

Anyone else have a funny story about something stupid that pertains to GC?
dzdncnfsd

I really hate the shortage of chairs and cables at GC. As soon as you manage to find one, you have to carry it around with you or someone lese will talk it when you get up. And yeah, I really hate the dumbasses that turn it up as loud as they can and try playing Eruption or Crazy Train or whatever.
gargendie

Just like a Wal Mart.
miker

My own experiences with that establishment have been... unsatisfactory. As a result... I tend to go elswhere.
GWinSeaWA

From a different forum (The Memphis Monster):

I tortured GC this weekend.

Me: Hey! Can you tell me what is included in a setup.
GC: We look over everything and make sure it's intonated and everything.
Me: What is everything?
GC: We make sure everything is tight and working?
Me: Tight? What do you mean?
GC: You know all the screws and everything.
Me: So a setup include tightening all the screws.
GC: Yes.
Me: for $50.00 you make sure you tighten all the screws.
Me: What if I tighten all the screws right here in the store before I buy the guitar - what will you do then in a setup.
Gc: You can't do that - that's my job.
Me: So besides tightening all the screws, what else do you do?
Gc: You know make sure everything is to factory specs.
Me: You have factory specs.
Gc: Yes.
Me: For all guitars you sell here.
GC: Mostly.
Me: Where do you keep it - in a folder so you have easy access during your setups.
GC: (Hesitanly) Yes.
Me: Does the factory specs include adjusting the neck.
GC: That'll cost extra if anything needs to be done to the neck.
Me: So for $50.00 you tighten all screws to factory specs.
Gc: Well it's more then that.
Me: Like What?
Gc: Like adjusting the action and stuff?
Me: So you adjust the action and if the neck needs tweaking you charge more.
Me: What is after the factory specs there is buzzing and the neck needs adjusting.
GC: It's cost extra.
Me: You say you adjust the action and stuff - what stuff?
GC: We do action, intonation and making sure the pickups are working to factory specs?
Me: How do you know the pickups are working to factory specs?
GC: Well we have tools to measure that?
Me: Do you measure the pickup output on a meter or audio test via an osciloscope.
Gc: That'll cost extra.
Me: OK - how do you check intonation.
Gc: On a tuner.
Me: Do you also check the 12th fret harmonics during intonation.
GC: That'll cost extra.
Me: So for 50.00 you tighten all the screws, make sure pickups are working and tune the guitar.
Me: What about strings - is that included in the setup.
GC: That'll cost extra.
Me: (Straight faced) Have you no shame you monkey.

Manager: Is there a problem?
Me: Yes I like to know what exactly is in a setup - say I buy a 2000.00 guitar?
Manager: We check over everything.
Me: Like what?
Manager: We make sure the guitar is in perfect working order?
Me: So you make sure the pickups, selector switch jack, everything is tight, intonated and the action is adjusted to factory specs.
Manager: Yes but the factory specs stuff cost extra.
Me: Like what?
Manager: Are you going to buy a guitar today?
Me: Ofcourse but if I am going to spend 2000.00 I want the guitar to be setup perfectly. Heck I'll even pay for a setup but I need to know what is in a setup beside what a monkey can do with a screw driver.
Manager: We make sure the guitar is in perfect working order.
Me: What if this guitar needs a truss rod adjustment and frets leveled?
Manager: That'll cost extra - now you talking about serious neck damage and refetting and things.
Me: What if it needs a minor adjustment.
Manager: Anytime we have to take the neck off - that cost extra.
Me: What if you don't have to take the neck off?
Manager: That's impossible - all necks have to be removed to be adjust.
Me: I am buying a Les Paul.
Manager: Well if it's bad from the factory there is nothing we can do about it.
Me: So you will remove the neck and if it's bad from the factory you can't do anything about it.
Manager: Yes.
Me: Do you see Monkeys flying out of my ass?
Manager: That'll cost extra.

At this point about 10 people had tears coming out of their eyes - they were laughing so hard. They all started to clap. I took my bow and said "Thankyou ladies and Gentleman. I'll be all week. Don't forget to tip youR setup guy!!!:

I love GC.
miker

:D

That was amusing.
Knyq

i went to a grand opening sale thing for a new guitar center in my area about a month ago. when i got there, there was a line stretching out the door for about a 1/4 mile. for some reason, i waited in that line to get in.
so i finally got inside this new guitar center, and i could barely move. there were so many people crammed into the store. and it was extremely loud inside. there were these 2 guys playing slap bass in the middle of the store, they were the loudest out of everyone. they played the same slap riff for the entire 2 hours i was in the store. then of course, there's the 12 year old kid with long pink hair, playing through the most expensive marshall, with distortion as high as it can possibly go, and hes attempting to play like a green day song or something. every time i stopped to look at something, a salesman rushed up and tried to tell me why i NEED the product im looking at.

to sum it up.... GC sux.
UndeadMoogle3

Hmm, interesting. The guitar center I go to never has those problems. Infact, to even reach the high end stuff (JEMs, JS models, vintage LP's) you have to get an employee with a ladder to get it down for you. Also, you've never seen such a large collection of anti-PRS and anti-Fender guys. I've actually seen someone come in and ask about a distortion pedal since the one on their multi-effects processor wasn't heavy enough for them. Instead of selling them a new pedal, the employee he asked actually got a friend who had the same pedal and the guy wrote out what he could tweak it to so that he could have a satisfactory distortion instead of shelling out extra cash. Also, when I bought my JEM there, the techs added new strings, gave me two extra sets of strings and a cleaning cloth. They then polished it, sighted the neck to see if any adjustments were necessary, re-calibrated the springs and the manager then gave me his phone number. The guy called me twice that month to make sure everything was good and actually told me that if something EVER happened to it (springs broke, neck warped, etc) to bring it in and let him know and he'd take care of it. Strange thing is, I went in about two months later and he walked up to me, remembered my name and checked again to make sure everything was playing well. Guess I got lucky.
Birdman

Two different shops obviously. I don't think you can call ALL GC's crap. It obviously depends on who's running the store etc, as it does with ALL shops you go to, big chain or not.

UDM, You didn't get lucky, you got a guy that cares about his work, customers and his shop. As for the other guys, why the hell would you go back there or waste your time doing what that guy did to the guys in the shop? To PROVE to them that you know more than them? Or to prove to yourself you do. If you ain't happy with a shop you go to, music or otherwise, tell the owner/manager, coz I'm sure they wanna know, so they can fix it, and if they don't, just don't go back, simple.
disaxster

GWinSeaWA wrote:From a different forum (The Memphis Monster):
I tortured GC this weekend.
Me: Hey! Can you tell me what is included in a setup.
GC: We look over everything and make sure it's intonate.......
(sorry for the cut, long post)
I love GC.
:lol:
it seems like a marx brothers movie dialogue!!!
:lol:
phoenix2874

Just about every guitar center has at least ONE guy who knows his sh*t, and they`re usually the less agressive of the bunch. Go in on a slow day like tuesday afternoon (yep, i`m heading over there in about 3 hours) and just look around and listen to the salespeople. They are paid comission, so you may have to fight off a jackal or two, but you`ll eventually see who knows what they are talking about. It`s usually the guy customers know by name, and the one most people ask for when they come in. Stick around and find someone you trust. Not only will you get exactly what`s right for you when it comes time to purchase something, but you`ll likely get a discount as the guys tend to hook up their good customers (I worked at MARS when it was open. We all did it). Good salespeople seek good customers, and actually care about getting you what you need. (for the record I DO NOT work for GC)
stu_hig

I was in a new local guitar shop and I was looking around trying to find the Ibanez section. I couldn't. So I asked the guy what Ibanez guitars they had. :shock: They don't stock Ibanez! So he said 'Why do you want to play Ibanez? Just to do divebombs and stuff' to which I replied 'not really I just like them' to which he ignored and then he went off trying to sell me a Maverick.

Hell, I played the Maverick-it wasn't too bad but compared to the little experience I've had with Ibanez they were nothing.

Anyway, just a little rant from Stu! :)
Evo2k0

Ive had a similar experience to where I wanted to get a good deal on a Jem and the salesperson, this stupid moron that looks like an elvis wanna-be is trying to sell me a used JEM off the wall which has been there as long as I can remember. I told him that I did not want a used JEM I wanted a new 2004 Ibanez Jem 7vwh (at this time it was still new and they were gonna switch to 05 jems after the Namm show). And I told the guy persistenly that I wanted to get a new JEM. I hate how these guys are they pretend like to be your good friend and all. So i told him I wanted a new Jem and he told me some stupid bogus load of crap lie that they cant order a new JEM untill they sell this one (Which I did not believe). And to top it off I asked him how much would he sell me the guitar for (the used one) you know what he said? he could give it to me for 2000 bucks out the door. I got so furious that this guy was taking up my time and I told him im not going to buy anything from here. Then the manager comes up to me. I explain the situation that I want to purchase a new JEM and im not going to pay 2000 for a USED one thats been on the wall for over 2 years. Then he tells me how much do you want us to give you the new JEM for, i told him 1850 out the door. He agreed but I told him Id come back later on that day just to cool off and I went to Sam Ash and my buddy works there he told me about the 15 month no pym no intrest and I took that deal. Screw it, I rather take it for 2100 and not have to pay for 15months. I put 400 bucks down just for them to get one here from Japan, so my new total which is on my Sam Ash card is 1700. So im making my 100 dollar monthly payments. Im happy I cant complain.

Bottom Line.

I hate Guitar Center bunch of morons who try to rip you off more than a regular salesperson should.

By the way. does anyone have any idea if that is true. If they have to sell the used one off the wall in order to order a new JEM if you are willing to put a deposit on it?

Thanks, John
sarahg3680

This thread is cracking me up! I do understand the contempt that artists have for what can feel like "Guitar Wal-Mart" Although, I don't think its fair for a bunch of guitar players to gang up on GC in a forum like this. (and, no, I do not work for GC)

You can't expect some kid who gets paid $7 an hour to know his Ibanez inside and out. Cut them some slack! Rudeness or aloofness on the job is not excuseable, but I don't think there are very many music store employees who know EVERYTHING. The buyer is always the expert in his niche, (knows a lot about a little)and the salesman has a general understanding of many things. (knows a little about a lot)
Evo2k0

sarahg3680 wrote:This thread is cracking me up! I do understand the contempt that artists have for what can feel like "Guitar Wal-Mart" Although, I don't think its fair for a bunch of guitar players to gang up on GC in a forum like this. (and, no, I do not work for GC)

You can't expect some kid who gets paid $7 an hour to know his Ibanez inside and out. Cut them some slack! Rudeness or aloofness on the job is not excuseable, but I don't think there are very many music store employees who know EVERYTHING. The buyer is always the expert in his niche, (knows a lot about a little)and the salesman has a general understanding of many things. (knows a little about a lot)
Why shouldn't they know Ibanez inside out? For example, lets say my uncle walked into GC and wanted to purchase a guitar for his nephew and he knew diddly-squat about guitars by chance and walked up to a salesperson. All all he knew was that his nephew likes Ibanez, wouldnt he want to be informed about everything that particular guitar has to offer. Whats good about it? What type of fingerboard is it? If its rosewood, is it better than any other type of wood? etc... If you are putting a large sum of money into an instrument you want to be informed about it by someone who actually works there, you cant just entirely rely on the internet, some people like one on one coversations and customer help. Thats what its all about. Myself, I wouldnt even ask the opinion of the salesperson cause I know about my guitars. Im talking about the people who sit there and have long talks with the salespeople that actually know what they are talking about. Thats like walking up to a Mercedes-Benz dealer and asking how many horses the CL65 AMG has on the SL55 AMG. If you work at Mercedes Benz dealer you have to know your stuff. You cant look like a moron and take numbers out of your ass... It goes with any job, you have to know your stuff or at least attempt to be close and not sound like a moron.