DO NOT download Real Illusions.

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
b2

#16 Post by b2 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:15 am

marvin, have you used www.play.com ?
They send free to Norway but I dont know how it is about Kroatia.

I agree, the Internet is a good tool to discover new artist/composers.
As long as people also buy the music they love, if they have money.
If you love the music and you can afford it, just buy it.

I dont understand people who donwloand 10-100GB of music and never
buy a singel CD. They download more music than they can listen to
the rest of their whole life.

You can listen to music on TV and radio and I dont think it is elegal to
record the music from radio/tv. But the problem is that artists get paid
when their music is on radio/tv but not on the Internet.

But I have heard that the number of cd's sold are still rising, it is not
going down because of Internet.

Vaiboy

#17 Post by Vaiboy » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:54 am

lydian7 wrote:
brainpolice wrote:Im not going to download it but i'd like the make the point that artists don't make diddley from cd sales. A measly few pennies. When you buy that cd, 99% of that money does't go to Vai. Touring and endorsements is where the cash is at.
Firstly your figures are grossly inaccurate, but for the sake of argument lets just say you're right. Steve Vai is a professional musician, and he works hard to maintain a level of quality and concentrates his life towards creating music of high standard for us to enjoy and consume. If you download his music illegally, you're robbing all his hard work and causing his record sales to decline, thus lessening his income, thus decreasing the chance of a world tour and lessening the length of his career. You don't have the right to download Steve's music without paying for it. He's worked hard to create it, so give him credit where credit's due and support him.

By downloading Vai's music illegally you're giving him nothing, but if buy his album you're showing your support as a fan and funding his future as a professional music maker.
I couldn't agree with lydian7 more. This is very well said.

Luan

#18 Post by Luan » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:07 am

I think that you are right, but there are some other things.
1)Suppose that I buy a cd from vai, he will not receive a cent, because I'm in argentina.
2)Here, cds costs $25/30, $ are Pesos, not dollars, and there was a time when everything used to cost the same in pesos than in dollars, but now everything is 3 times more. I hear that people consider that the cds are very expensive in the USA. Well, here they are most expensive.

I own some cds of Vai, and they are original. But not everybody can do the same.

It would be a good question to Vai: What do you prefer? someone that will not buy your cd, because he just don't have the money, but he wants to listen to your music (and maybe to learn) and he download your cds, or someone that wants the same, but he doesn't download and doesn't buy it?

You know, sometimes we just like to make everybody hear what we do, and we want everybody to hear it.

pauldlr

#19 Post by pauldlr » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:40 am

So Vai should be a charity?

tompa2005

simple answer...

#20 Post by tompa2005 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:02 am

Here in sweden cds are very expensive. When will the music industri wake up and lower the prices???? SIMPLE as that. Cause if everyone can afford it there will be no interest for grabbing it for free,,,its allways nicer to have the "real Thing" Im I right? :wink:
Regards
Tommy

brainpolice

#21 Post by brainpolice » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:53 pm

Here's a question: Should music be a product in the first place? How do you justify someone's art as being worth money? How do you justify someone's art as being "stolen" when it should be for everyone's enjoyment in the first place? Do you honestly think that you are seriously financially hurting metallica by downloading albums they made millions off of?
Last edited by brainpolice on Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmchambers5

#22 Post by jmchambers5 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:02 pm

tompa2005 wrote:Here in sweden cds are very expensive. When will the music industri wake up and lower the prices???? SIMPLE as that. Cause if everyone can afford it there will be no interest for grabbing it for free,,,its allways nicer to have the "real Thing" Im I right? :wink:
Regards
Tommy
The industry has costs that it has to cover. Less people buying cd's makes prices go up. How are they going to lower prices when they already aren't making any money because of downloading? It works both ways.
brainpolice wrote:Here's a question: Should music be a product in the first place? How do you justify someone's art as being worth money? How do you justify someone's art as being "stolen" when it should be for everyone in the first place?
Music has to be a product, because in order to be a profesional musician you have to be able to make money doing it. Should a painter spend all of his time painting, enough time to where he can't have a job, and then give away all of his paintings? Musicians have to eat just like everyone else, and if there were no money in it, most musicians would keep their art to theirselves (myself included).

brainpolice

#23 Post by brainpolice » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:08 pm

You're right. Musicians have to eat. But: ALL THE PEOPLE COMPLAINING ARE MILLIONARES. So whats the difference. Do you honestly think that you are seriously financially hurting metallica by downloading albums they made millions off of? Is poor Larsy Warsy not going to eat today because a few people decided they wanted to download Master of Puppets?
If anything, all of the mainstream millionare/billionaire musicians take away from the oppurtunity of tons of much better, less industry-tool-like musicians and bands. When the industry decides to release watered-down sludge because it's an easy buck, they can't complain when people start to get their sludge for free; and their artists can't complain because they are not only well to do but they let themselves produce the sludge. Maybe if the industry started to produce quality products instead of over-produced speedily-recorded immitation (not innovation) crap, people would actually find their "product" to be worth the money. The extra irony on top of it is that alot of what the industry produces is either: A. A remake of a song that was already a hit in the 70s or 80s (although it never TELLS YOU).... or B. Something that claims to be a song on it's own, but is the result of sampling someone else's song and putting your own vocals over it and/or altering the original recording to make it "legal". So who's the one stealing here? The consumer or the industry itself?
Meanwhile most musicians can barely get by unless they magically sell out. From their world, a bunch of people downloading their music would be a blessing; noone would have heard of them otherwise. It's exposure for them. They don't have any significant money to make from CD scales in the first place. Their music being on the internet in fact greatly expands their oppurtunities. Their fanbase can increase, the geological reach of their fanbase can increase, as a result they are more likely to get noticed by someone important and become a bigger band. There are then alot more people to buy their "product" and some decent money can start rolling in.
I'm not advocating "internet music piracy". But there is a more important battle to be fought here; the corruption of the mainstream music industry as a whole. Cheers.

marvin

#24 Post by marvin » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:30 am

jmchambers5 wrote:
The industry has costs that it has to cover. Less people buying cd's makes prices go up. How are they going to lower prices when they already aren't making any money because of downloading? It works both ways..
cd's haven't changed their prices for about 10-15years from now, and downloading became popular what 5-6years from now, so it's not a matter of supply and demand

Luan

#25 Post by Luan » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:13 am

here they changed, and a lot

Gustav_Himself

#26 Post by Gustav_Himself » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:23 am

I'm going to download Real Illusions......

After I bought the cd ofcourse. I often download music that I already bought. I don't want to play the original cd beacuse it would wear out after a few months in the car stereo, computer, stereo.

jemgirl

#27 Post by jemgirl » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:02 am

i`ll simply wait untill the release!then i`ll buy the cd.
i hate to copy or download somebodys work.

b2

#28 Post by b2 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:02 am

Its only 1 week to wait now!!! :D
:guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar

Moderator77FP

#29 Post by Moderator77FP » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:29 pm

Gustav_Himself wrote:I'm going to download Real Illusions......

After I bought the cd ofcourse. I often download music that I already bought. I don't want to play the original cd beacuse it would wear out after a few months in the car stereo, computer, stereo.
Huh? Why don't you just rip the CD yourself. That way you can control the quality and bitrate of the MP3, rather than perpetuating the whole downloading music problem.

Some people's reasoning for downloading music is flimsy at best. :roll:

Here's the bottom line: If you download music, you're a THIEF.
It doesn't matter how you justify it. Stealing is stealing.

Moderator77FP
www.vai.com

miker

#30 Post by miker » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:57 pm

My only regret about buying "Real Illusions" is that I did not pre-order it sooner to get the autographed jacket. I did order in time to get the nifty picks though :D

I prefer to rip my own CD's to MP3... Like the Mod sez, you can control the quality better.

A lot of the time, I try to buy used CD's to save money. You can find pretty good deals on used CD's sometimes...