DO NOT download Real Illusions.

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
GuitarStrings

DO NOT download Real Illusions.

#1 Post by GuitarStrings » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:12 pm

Please, do not download Real Illusions from internet for any reason, if you want to support Steve Vai.
If we support the artist we love, we should NOT download any track from internet. :evil:

I see buying a cd as fair "exchange", because we give what we can, which is money, and Steve gives us what he can, which is Music.
I am NOT going to listen to a single track of which Steve put much effort into making that I don't pay for... I might sound stupid but I am happy I am doing the thing I think is correct.

Do not download.

Self-control, self-control, self-control, self-control, self-control, self-control, self-control... :D

brainpolice

#2 Post by brainpolice » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:30 pm

Im not going to download it but i'd like the make the point that artists don't make diddley from cd sales. A measly few pennies. When you buy that cd, 99% of that money does't go to Vai. Touring and endorsements is where the cash is at.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#3 Post by Mikey » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:35 pm

brainpolice wrote:Im not going to download it but i'd like the make the point that artists don't make diddley from cd sales. A measly few pennies. When you buy that cd, 99% of that money does't go to Vai. Touring and endorsements is where the cash is at.
That's a fallacy. No matter what an artist makes per CD, it doesn't give anyone the right to take it, or distribute it for free.

Put yourself in any artist's shoes. How would you feel if someone took something you worked on for 5 years and just gave it away because they felt like it.

Mikey
vai.com

EyesOfFire0221

#4 Post by EyesOfFire0221 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:47 pm

Mikey i couldnt said it better myself ..... but u beat me to it . buy Real Illusions Support our beloved guitar god lol Support Steve vai !!!!!!

munchocruncho

#5 Post by munchocruncho » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:07 pm

I dont download music anyway.

RAI

#6 Post by RAI » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:45 pm

brainpolice wrote:When you buy that cd, 99% of that money does't go to Vai. Touring and endorsements is where the cash is at.
So when the record company sees that the album only sold 25,000 units, but quite likely 300,000 were downloaded, I'm sure they are willing to continue to pour their money into that artist....

Not!

:wink:

Petie

#7 Post by Petie » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:47 pm

Downloading wouldn't give you the full experience of the album art, the liner notes (which I would assume in the case of Real Illusions would probably contain a lot of story information) and the ability to hold something tangible, something intrinsically linked to the concept of the entire project, especially in a situation such as the Real Illusions project. If anyone were to obtain a copy of the album from the internet, I would hope they would do the honourable thing and buy a copy (or two) when it's released. Steve needs our support, and whether it amounts to a couple of cents or whatever, each unit sold adds up in sending a message to the label (who would undoubtedly keep a record of sales, after all it is a business) that Steve is a viable (hehe) artist, so they will keep releasing his albums for us.

bcgvh

#8 Post by bcgvh » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:41 am

Downloading songs is wrong, it's stealing, period. It doesn't matter if an artist makes $1,000,000 or $10 off an album the point is that they are a business trying to sell a product (an album) to make a profit and anyone who takes their songs without permission from the artist is STEALING! People may not think of it that way, I mean, the songs are available on the internet, you didn't put them there, but you can get them, so....oh, well, it won't hurt anything it's only 1 song. But in reality, it's still stealing.

shacks

#9 Post by shacks » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:10 am

Call me stupid but I have THREE copies of RI on order! :D

shacks

lydian7

#10 Post by lydian7 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:18 am

brainpolice wrote:Im not going to download it but i'd like the make the point that artists don't make diddley from cd sales. A measly few pennies. When you buy that cd, 99% of that money does't go to Vai. Touring and endorsements is where the cash is at.
Firstly your figures are grossly inaccurate, but for the sake of argument lets just say you're right. Steve Vai is a professional musician, and he works hard to maintain a level of quality and concentrates his life towards creating music of high standard for us to enjoy and consume. If you download his music illegally, you're robbing all his hard work and causing his record sales to decline, thus lessening his income, thus decreasing the chance of a world tour and lessening the length of his career. You don't have the right to download Steve's music without paying for it. He's worked hard to create it, so give him credit where credit's due and support him.

By downloading Vai's music illegally you're giving him nothing, but if buy his album you're showing your support as a fan and funding his future as a professional music maker.

Bono

#11 Post by Bono » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:11 am

shacks wrote:Call me stupid but I have THREE copies of RI on order! :D

shacks
You're stupid

...Just Kidding Buddy :D :D :D

But back to the topic...downloading does absolutely nothing for the artist...and even if Stevie did make only 1 dollar from every 7 billion albums sold, it's still better than nothing :) I've got mine on order..it never even occurred to me to try and download any of the tracks - it takes away the suspense and the excitement when you first put the cd into the cd player...

Gary2005

#12 Post by Gary2005 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:13 am

Well here's something to think about, i've already paid for RI and it wont get to me until 2 weeks after the release date....dont i have the right to download a few tracks to check them out? not saying that i will....hell no, im to excited to waste it on just d/l tracks hehe :D

b2

#13 Post by b2 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:21 am

I always buy the music I love :D
Sometimes I can download a song or two but if I really love the music I
always buy the cd or dvd.

But the big question is who have put it out on the Internet?
Aint any people reliable today?
The industri have a problem here, both in the movie industri and the
music industry. Sometimes you can find movies and music on the Internet
before it is released. This is bad and the industri have to do something
so that they have control.

Here in Norway they maybe gone start with a new law wich says:
"It is not legal to copy a CD to MP3, not even for own use only."

They say that when you buy a CD it is not ment to rip it to MP3.
You buy it as a CD and only this format is it ment to be in.
If you want it in MP3 format you proberly have to buy it in that format,
maybe on the Internet.

There is something right in this law and somthing very bad.
But I dont think they will vote for it because it will be imposible to
control what everyone is doing.

The worst thing with CD is that it maybe only last for 20-30 years.
Thats why I would say that people should be allow to copy it for
own use.

(Sorry for my english...)
Last edited by b2 on Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

sonny sixshooter

#14 Post by sonny sixshooter » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:23 am

Why are people always discussing how bad it is to download music? Shouldn't the name of this thread be: "do not put RI on the net in the first place"?
And then just a little comment on the music police!
When I buy a cd, which I often do, I don't want to be seen as a criminal. I am not going to put on the net, but I have paid for it, so I can do anything I bloody want to with it! If I want to rip it to mp3, that my decision, as long as I don't give it away or sell it. If I want to throw it off a tall building or do the Merengue on it, or both, that is my decision!
I hate it, when people tell me what to do or what noy to do, especially when I am doing the right thing!

marvin

#15 Post by marvin » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:27 am

if it weren't for the internet and downloadin i for instance, wouldn't for sure buy half the cd's i own now...you can't judge the whole world according to your own (us) standards (i mean mostly economic)....

for example i ordered "live at astoria london DVD" through musictoday.com paid 16.00$+7.00$(international shipment) and then i had to pay additional 14.00$ for "import tax".....and my monthly allowance is around 92$.....you do the math!!

most of you in us pay only 16$ for that cd/dvd a have at least 3 times bigger allowanace than me, and i dont complain, i save my money, deprive myself of some things so i could buy that dvd...

how's about an idea to make cd's cheaper, and if they were the sales would go up for sure....the corporations are blameing their own incompotance on downloading whereas cd as a media/product hasn't changed in almost 40years

i'm not against downloading if it's your only option to discover and listen to new music, i put myself in that category and i dont fell guilty, if it weren't for internet i would never discover vai, satriani, marcus miller, stanley clarke, spyro gyra, jaco pastorius, adam nitti, victor bailey, lee ritenour, dave weckl, victor wooten, jason becker.....and if that is a crime then i'm guilty...so hang me!! :twisted: